Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65

Thread: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

  1. #51
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    We were better off when people had to learn our language rather than us learning the language of trash countries.
    Immigrants are required to learn English and should be continued do so. That doesn't change the fact that a bilingual population is much more competitive in the jobs market and improves the ability of people to communicate with each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Of course you would.
    See response to WSUwarrior. What exactly is wrong with having a bilingual population in the first place?
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  2. #52
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,635

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I already do speak Spanish, I lived in Chile for a while
    A beautiful country, I hope to return, if I ever get the time to take vacation.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  3. #53
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,619

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Immigrants are required to learn English and should be continued do so. That doesn't change the fact that a bilingual population is much more competitive in the jobs market and improves the ability of people to communicate with each other.



    See response to WSUwarrior. What exactly is wrong with having a bilingual population in the first place?
    Nothing at all, as I already indicated earlier in the thread. But I'm more into letting people decide for themselves.

  4. #54
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Nothing at all, as I already indicated earlier in the thread. But I'm more into letting people decide for themselves.
    Considering that foreign language classes are already mandated in most high schools, I don't see why mandating Spanish specifically would cause much of a problem, with students always having the option of taking other foreign language classes as well. Japan, Sweden, and probably several other countries that I'm not thinking of right now, teach English as a second language to all high school students. As opposed to having select subsections of the population that can communicate with English speakers, as is the case with Spanish in the U.S., the entire country can communicate with English speakers. Considering that Spanish is by far the most commonly spoken second language in the U.S., the majority of the population being able to speak Spanish will increase the ability of the people as a whole being able to communicate with each other.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  5. #55
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,999

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    We were better off when people had to learn our language rather than us learning the language of trash countries.
    Have you ever been to these "trash" countries that you so describe?

    I tend to find bilingual or multilingual people more intelligent on the average than monolinguals. Maybe its just me...

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    07-02-15 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    61

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    It isn't that big of a deal. American Spanish speakers somewhat reside in a culture of their own. They watch different TV stations than most Americans that are Mexican ported stations via satellite from Mexico such as Univision and others. The Spanish speaking American world is a very different and separate world from that of mainstream English speaking America. They have very little interaction.

  7. #57
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,619

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    It isn't that big of a deal. American Spanish speakers somewhat reside in a culture of their own. They watch different TV stations than most Americans that are Mexican ported stations via satellite from Mexico such as Univision and others. The Spanish speaking American world is a very different and separate world from that of mainstream English speaking America. They have very little interaction.
    Lol, that's just not true of all American Spanish speakers.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    07-02-15 @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    61

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Lol, that's just not true of all American Spanish speakers.
    No obviously but a large portion of them it is true. They watch Mexican TV soaps, soccer and other Mexican channels that the average Anglo, Asian or black American doesn't even know exist. That is true.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Chagos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    in expatria
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    13,378

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    .....................See response to WSUwarrior. What exactly is wrong with having a bilingual population in the first place?
    It discriminates people like WSU

  10. #60
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,619

    Re: US now has more Spanish speakers than Spain only Mexico has more

    Quote Originally Posted by rationality View Post
    No obviously but a large portion of them it is true. They watch Mexican TV soaps, soccer and other Mexican channels that the average Anglo, Asian or black American doesn't even know exist. That is true.
    I don't think you're talking about American Spanish speakers. Have you ever been to California? Or Arizona? You should get out more.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •