Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

  1. #1
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    07-15-17 @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,716

    Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Greece has threatened to seek a court injunction against the EU institutions, both to block the country's expulsion from the euro and to halt asphyxiation of the banking system.
    “The Greek government will make use of all our legal rights,” said the finance minister, Yanis Varoufakis.

    “We are taking advice and will certainly consider an injunction at the European Court of Justice. The EU treaties make no provision for euro exit and we refuse to accept it. Our membership is not negotiable,“ he told the Telegraph.
    Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit - Telegraph

    I'm starting to find this morbidly fascinating. I'm genuinely interested to see what legal house of cards the European institutions are based on.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,494

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    [COLOR=#282828][FONT=georgia][COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]

    Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit - Telegraph

    I'm starting to find this morbidly fascinating. I'm genuinely interested to see what legal house of cards the European institutions are based on.
    I am actually surprised that nobody has taken the finance ministers to task for creating a situation where living conditions collapsed to those of a third world country. This is rather against the demands of the European Human Rights Charter with which all sorts of legislation is justified and a number of laws have been wacked.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,407

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Lol !!

    It would seem the last thing this Government is prepared to do is to accept responsibility for their actions.

    Nothings changed in Greece apparently.

  4. #4
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,507

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    I really am fascinated by the extent of the state of denial in Greece. They can't avoid austerity and seem willing to let Greece die than except that their welfare state is done. They have to know that this path only makes the eventual outcome worse for them. They can't print their own money, they have no credit to back it.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #5
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,497

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    [COLOR=#282828][FONT=georgia][COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]

    Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit - Telegraph

    I'm starting to find this morbidly fascinating. I'm genuinely interested to see what legal house of cards the European institutions are based on.

    I can't help but laugh at this. This is why countries should not ever loan money to other countries. Because most likely that money is not going to paid back. If a bank loans someone money for a car or house then they can take the car or home back should the person who got the loan stopped paying in order to get back their money. I do not see Germany or anyone else going to into Greece and forcefully taking their money back.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #6
    Sage
    Chagos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    in expatria
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    13,384

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    The Telegraph is as daft in falling for it as Varoufakis is devious in bringing up this straw man.

    The EU cannot throw Greece out, neither out of the Union nor out of the common currency, there being no such provision.

    What it can do is stop footing the Greek bill.

    Seeing how a Greece within the Euro is not sovereign in printing the currency, the only solution it could seek is to leave both Union and common currency (the latter not possible without the first).

    Then to print its own.

    If it doesn't there'll be no money at all.

    So the question of being pushed out (by any EU vote) does not even ever arise, it's a question of ensuing economical pressures forcing Greece to Grexit if it wants to survive at all.

    They can appeal to any court til they're blue in the face, the EU holds not a single provision for keeping any member state afloat by paying its bills.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,407

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I really am fascinated by the extent of the state of denial in Greece. They can't avoid austerity and seem willing to let Greece die than except that their welfare state is done. They have to know that this path only makes the eventual outcome worse for them. They can't print their own money, they have no credit to back it.
    Leftist are loyal to their ideology above all.

    Its why they're so dangerous when given positions of power and influence.

    Honestly, there were Greeks flying Che Guevara flags during the recent protest.

    Unbelievable. We're witnessing cognitive dissonance on a National scale.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Chagos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    in expatria
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    13,384

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I really am fascinated by the extent of the state of denial in Greece. They can't avoid austerity and seem willing to let Greece die than except that their welfare state is done. They have to know that this path only makes the eventual outcome worse for them. They can't print their own money, they have no credit to back it.
    I can't present any quotes from Greeks I know that might be representative. But according to the people I speak to, denial is at an all time low by now.

    Disgust with the idjits now in the driver seat going in the opposite direction fast.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,149

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Quote Originally Posted by Chagos View Post
    The Telegraph is as daft in falling for it as Varoufakis is devious in bringing up this straw man.

    The EU cannot throw Greece out, neither out of the Union nor out of the common currency, there being no such provision.

    What it can do is stop footing the Greek bill.

    Seeing how a Greece within the Euro is not sovereign in printing the currency, the only solution it could seek is to leave both Union and common currency (the latter not possible without the first).

    Then to print its own.

    If it doesn't there'll be no money at all.

    So the question of being pushed out (by any EU vote) does not even ever arise, it's a question of ensuing economical pressures forcing Greece to Grexit if it wants to survive at all.

    They can appeal to any court til they're blue in the face, the EU holds not a single provision for keeping any member state afloat by paying its bills.
    they will simply force Greece out. without a way to issue currency and the EU not loaning them any more money to not fix their problems. Greece will have to exit.
    they won't have a choice. I am sure there is some contractual language that can be used to get rid of them even if their is actually no provision.

    the simple fact that they fail to abide by their own obligations and cannot be self-sustaining without major influx of cash from other countries.
    the rest of Europe is not going to put them on the hook for Greece's mismanagement.

    if Greece was voted in they can be voted out.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Chagos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    in expatria
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    13,384

    Re: Greece threatens top court action to block Grexit

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    they will simply force Greece out. without a way to issue currency and the EU not loaning them any more money to not fix their problems. Greece will have to exit.
    they won't have a choice. I am sure there is some contractual language that can be used to get rid of them even if their is actually no provision.

    the simple fact that they fail to abide by their own obligations and cannot be self-sustaining without major influx of cash from other countries.
    the rest of Europe is not going to put them on the hook for Greece's mismanagement.

    if Greece was voted in they can be voted out.
    Well, technically it'll amount to the same outcome.

    Yet "voted out" they cannot be. But the financial scenario described wouldn't leave them any option but to leave. Not just the Euro but the EU. They can't leave the currency without first abandoning Union membership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •