Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 207

Thread: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Campaign

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 11:59 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I favor holding Supreme Court elections just like we elect senators...in rotating 6 year terms.
    Contact your legislator and get them to propose a bill doing just that. I bet they either laugh you off the phone, or more likely you will never hear from them again.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,301

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Reported for personal attack. Keep it civil and on topic, please.

    My goodness, I can't verify that quote was even me. That would've been 3 years ago if so.
    Lol? Ummm okay:

    1. Click the little blue icon next to your name in the posted quote. It's there.
    2. There was no personal attack. I simply pointed out the fact that you only hitch your wagon to the American people when the elections seem to be going your way. If they're not, your 'trust' in the American people is questionable.
    3. Lol, if you could kindly point out the personal attack, I'll be waiting.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-29-15 at 11:32 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #163
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,286

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Our founding fathers were the greatest generation of political thinkers collected under one roof, perhaps in the history of the world.

    It would be a disservice to them, then if the rest of us rested on their laurels and took the fact that we're born Americans as license to sit around and be lazy. We still need to actively participate in our government and continually maintain the vision they left with us: that we should have a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.... a government with proper checks and balances.
    So, you are for a living, breathing Constitution that is responsive to the times?

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Lol? Ummm okay:

    1. Click the little blue icon next to your name in the posted quote. It's there.
    2. There was no personal attack. I simply pointed out the fact that you only hitch your wagon to the American people when the elections seem to be going your way. If they're not, your 'trust' in the American people is questionable.
    3. Lol, if you could kindle point out the personal attack, I'll be waiting.
    You're trying to take a discussion on a particular topic... in this case, the question whether Supreme Court judges should be elected.... and you're trying to support your point by making the argument about me and attacking my character.

    That's an ad hominem. Win the discussion on the merits of your arguments, don't resort to mud slinging.

    I'm not going to respond to any personal accusations against me. I'm not even going to ask why or how you dug up a post I allegedly made 3 years ago (again, I can't validate that I even made it) after the Obama election, and I'm certainly not going to give any explanation for it.

    You're lucky you didn't get infracted for doing that, to be honest.

  5. #165
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,195

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Campaign

    'Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Campaign'

    Idiot.

    Yeah...you'll really get the WH with that dinosaur position.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    So, you are for a living, breathing Constitution that is responsive to the times?
    I see what you're doing, but let me say that I don't think it needs to be a "left vs right" argument... I think everybody can get behind the idea of democracy and putting the decision in the hands of the American People who to have as our judges.

    As long as we work within the framework of what the constitution allows, I think it's necessary for us to alter parts of it from time to time to keep up with the times. The key there, though, is that we need to work within the constitution to achieve these alterations. Too often, unelected judges legislate from the bench, interpreting existing legislation in an overly broad manner, which unfortunately bypasses the normal checks and balances that I believe were intended.

    An elected judiciary would go a long way toward fixing this, in my opinion.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,301

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You're trying to take a discussion on a particular topic... in this case, the question whether Supreme Court judges should be elected.... and you're trying to support your point by making the argument about me and attacking my character.
    Nope, I'm simply saying that your opinion is subject to change depending on how the elections go. That much remains true and is proven by how little faith you seem to have in the American people when things don't go your way. There is no argument there, it's a fact.

    That's an ad hominem. Win the discussion on the merits of your arguments, don't resort to mud slinging.

    I'm not going to respond to any personal accusations against me. I'm not even going to ask why or how you dug up a post I allegedly made 3 years ago (again, I can't validate that I even made it) after the Obama election, and I'm certainly not going to give any explanation for it.

    You're lucky you didn't get infracted for doing that, to be honest.
    Lmao, there is nothing to be infracted over. The post is by you and the link in it leads directly to YOUR statements in a different thread where the elections didn't go your way. You've been around long enough to know how this forum works, that you're now pretending you didn't say that or that you don't know how to follow links is pretty funny. Anyways Peter, your dream of an elected SCOTUS simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Hell, you yourself seem to have admitted how little faith you have in the American people after every election.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope, I'm simply saying that your opinion is subject to change depending on how the elections go. That much remains true and is proven by how little faith you seem to have in the American people when things don't go your way. There is no argument there, it's a fact.



    Lmao, there is nothing to be infracted over. The post is by you and the link in it leads directly to YOUR statements in a different thread where the elections didn't go your way. You've been around long enough to know how this forum works, that you're now pretending you didn't say that or that you don't know how to follow links is pretty funny. Anyways Peter, your dream of an elected SCOTUS simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Hell, you yourself seem to have admitted how little faith you have in the American people after every election.
    You don't seem to understand or realize or see the difference between debating a topic and making it about the person.

    It's an ad hominem fallacy, look it up. I reported you again.

  9. #169
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    17,720

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Camp...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You don't seem to understand or realize or see the difference between debating a topic and making it about the person.

    It's an ad hominem fallacy, look it up. I reported you again.
    What I find hilarious is if some other politician had proposed this a week ago you probably would have opposed it. You are angry that a group of people you find disgusting and who you hate has been given the right to marriage and so you want to fire the judges who did it. And feel free to hit the report button if you like, but I am merely repeating what you shared days ago and it is fair to consider a poster's motivations when he suddenly has an opinion on judicial lifetime appointments when he never really had one before. In fact, had the ruling gone the other way and those nine robed figures declared there was no right to same-sex marriage you would have been very happy and content with that ruling lording over 350 million of us and you would not even be talking about judicial elections. This is about your hatred of gays. Nothing else.

    Welcome to America. We are a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. The Constitution is the will of the people, not a simple majority vote. In our country the rights of the minority are protected from the tyranny of a majority.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-30-15 at 12:16 AM.

  10. #170
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Cruz: Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Campaign

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Yes I would rather have a judicial branch that is answerable to the electorate. Why shouldn't the people have a say in what kind of country they want to live in?

    Think of it this way, 9 unelected judges over the American population means that each unelected judge rules over about 35 million people for life without seeking representation from them. It's the ultimate farce. No matter how educated they are, no one deserves that kind of power
    This is why the US is a Constitutional republic with a representative democracy because the founders decided the majority may not always be correct. Jefferson called Pure Democracy Mob Rules. This sounds like what you would like. I am happy as it is even if all the decisions don't go my way.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •