Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 562

Thread: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

  1. #521
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,221

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    TIME Magazine two days ago:
    Gay Marriage Decision Is Right Time to End Religious Tax Exemptions

    Or maybe this is just a fantasy I made up in my head, huh?

    They are going after religion and it's institutions and aren't even hiding it. Now I don't care if that makes you happy or sad, but you are denying that it exists, which makes no sense. You will have to put your head deeper into the ground every day to keep saying it isn't happening and will not continue to happen. sheesh
    "They" is one idiot writer looking for click bait.

    And when you say "they" are going after religion and its institutions, "they" are doing no more or less than churches have done daily for centuries which is going after those who don't live according to the rules of that particular religion. It's probably a bit uncomfortable that the public no longer accepts without question that homosexuals, for example, are perverts and their consensual relationships should be criminalized, but the kind of dissent that you're characterizing "going after" religion is simply nothing new, the tables have just been turned a bit and the religious are being publicly challenged instead of having their views accepted without debate or dissent.

    I don't see a problem with that, actually.

  2. #522
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    25,867

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Paxton: State workers can deny licenses to same-sex couples

    Here we go the first actual decent from the Joy. I think this is doomed before it starts. There is no end to hate and judgement IMO. Thoughts.
    I believe this is a temporary thing in that they will fold as soon as they are contested. Symbolic bullcrap about to get their parade rained on big time. Most likely trying to martyr themselves for a political future in their districts.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  3. #523
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,270

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    But you're conflating a clerk performing an entirely ministerial task with the "free exercise of religion." It's a false premise from the start.

    If we adopted your view of the world, then each of us is the law unto ourselves and can pick and choose our religious beliefs, and whenever we can reasonably claim that our individually held religious beliefs are on conflict with the law, simply ignore the law, with no consequences. You're a lawyer so you know this isn't true.

    And what you're also glossing over is the fact that the 1st Amendment prohibits the government from imposing a religious test, and disadvantaging those who "fail" someone's arbitrary test.
    My copy of the Constitution says nothing at all in the First Amendment about imposing a religious test.

    The fact a duty is ministerial usually comes up in contexts like whether mandamus can be used to compel an action, or whether a government official had enough discretion to be personally liable for some injury.

    I don't dismiss your argument out of hand. I've heard it before. As the Court said in Reynolds v. U.S., its first Free Exercise Clause decision in 1878,

    "Can a man excuse his practices to the contrary because of his religious belief? To permit this would be to make the professed doctrines of religious belief superior to the law of the land, and in effect to permit every citizen to become a law unto himself. Government could exist only in name under such circumstances...."

    Justice Scalia was obviously concerned about this same thing in the majority decision he authored in Employment Division v. Smith. But the RFRA, which Congress passed in reaction to Smith's drastic narrowing of the Free Exercise Clause, has served to expand it back to something like the width it had in Sherbert and Yoder. Anyone who doubts that should read the Hobby Lobby decision, which was based on the federal RFRA.

    For all anyone knows, an argument like yours might win the day in Texas. But Texas has its own RFRA, and from what that state's AG has said, I think that's far from clear.

  4. #524
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,553

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    1.)TIME Magazine two days ago:
    Gay Marriage Decision Is Right Time to End Religious Tax Exemptions
    2.)Or maybe this is just a fantasy I made up in my head, huh?
    3.) They are going after religion and it's institutions and aren't even hiding it. Now I don't care if that makes you happy or sad, but you are denying that it exists, which makes no sense.
    4.) You will have to put your head deeper into the ground every day to keep saying it isn't happening and will not continue to happen. sheesh
    1.)hey thanks for that opinion piece that really sold me LMAO
    2.) yes it is as far as rights infringements are concerned , should i find articles about how bush did 9-11 too?
    3.) this is because i live in reality and theres no facts that support me losing any religions rights or freedoms over equal rights for gays . . . none . . . zero . . .
    4.) nope, you will have to produce ONE fact to even make it logical, until you can you got NOTHING. Good luck with your conspiracy theories.

    again the FACT is my rights and freedoms as a christian are 100% intact . . . nothing about equal rights for gays or anti-discrimination laws impacts them in anyway, disagree factually prove otherwise
    facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yes it would still not be a legit reason to infringe on the rights of others, break the law and illegally discriminate . . feelings about validity don't matter

    my rights and freedoms as a christian are 100% intact . . . nothing about equal rights for gays or anti-discrimination laws impacts them in anyway . . .I have the same rights as everybody else and gotta play by the same rules i dont get special treatment because of my faith
    I was a machinist. I should have questioned my boss as to where each part I machined was destined to be used. I spent six or so years machining parts for blowout preventers used in deep water. I wonder how long I would have kept my job if I had told my company that because of my deeply held religious environmental beliefs, I would not be able to help produce these parts so he would have to find something else for me to machine.

  6. #526
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,554

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I believe this is a temporary thing in that they will fold as soon as they are contested. Symbolic bullcrap about to get their parade rained on big time. Most likely trying to martyr themselves for a political future in their districts.
    I doubt it's symbolic, after all, the courts have already decided that creationism is never allowed in public schools, that doesn't stop the idiot religious from trying it time and time again, even though they know that once it hits the courts, they will lose. They don't care and since it's just taxpayer money they're wasting, it doesn't cost them anything personally to keep trying.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  7. #527
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,553

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I was a machinist. I should have questioned my boss as to where each part I machined was destined to be used. I spent six or so years machining parts for blowout preventers used in deep water. I wonder how long I would have kept my job if I had told my company that because of my deeply held religious environmental beliefs, I would not be able to help produce these parts so he would have to find something else for me to machine.
    Im an electronic engineer and ive worked, telecom, commercial electronics, weapons and now military . . . i wonder how many things i have made that have been part of killings? spying? the making of porn? and gay weddings . . oh man

    its a complete joke and everybody honest knows it. . . its an attempt to deny others rights and control others
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #528
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,361

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    This is the way it is now. People come in and go to the next open window. This is as it should be. But you are forgetting that some people may not want to serve the people in front of them. If they don't they should be replaced by people who will serve everyone.
    Everyone is welcome to their opinion on the matter, my point is that the law doesn't require it.

  9. #529
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    01-01-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,245

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    My copy of the Constitution says nothing at all in the First Amendment about imposing a religious test.

    By any chance did you look at Article VI, paragraph 3?

  10. #530
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,858

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Why do you say that? I have never claimed to be for, against, or indifferent to gay marriage.
    They haven't yet come to terms with damage they have done with the means to this end.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •