Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 562

Thread: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

  1. #301
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Bull****, this could've been accomplished years ago by civil unions. It was not necessary to redefine marriage.
    You do not own the word marriage. Plus, Texas included a ban on civil unions, before the vast majority of states had same sex marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #302
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,159

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Their condition of employment is that they perform the tasks that are normally performed in their position and that is public service. You may wish to look up that notion.
    the first amendment overrides any local laws.

  3. #303
    Educator
    keymanjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    07-02-17 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    But we have lots of laws with a minimum age requirement. It's 16 to drive, 18 to join the military and to register and to enter into most contracts, 21 to drink alcohol. Each of those are separate issues. There are reasons one can find why the age of "consent" for an abortion is zero in some states. In my state one or more of the girl's parents have to give permission. In Montana, no parental involvement is needed. You can rage about hypocrisy with the Montana legislature if you want, but this thread isn't about abortion. It's about marriage, which is a different topic altogether.
    What you said there is also calls to question what age a person becomes an adult. Since there is multiple ages in which a person can engage in adult activities. Using abortion as a guide is not out of the question since getting an abortion is an even greater act than getting married. It also underscores one of the arguments in which homosexuality was made normal in the eyes of the government. That being that homosexuality is found in nature. What is also found in nature is sex at puberty. And, if we are to use nature as our guide to declare one act as normal, then we can do so for the other. (Since a girl would not need an abortion if she was incapable of getting pregnant.)

    So, the discussion becomes:
    Homosexuality is normal because it's found in nature. So, gays should be allowed to marry since they are normal.
    Sex at puberty is normal because it is found in nature. So, girls of any age should be allowed to marry since it's normal.
    BUT WAIT!. They cannot get married since they can't make adult decisions.
    Oh, but they do. The majority of states (37)allows her to make the adult decision to get an abortion without her parent's consent.
    Therefore, since in the eyes of the government a girl of any age can make an adult decision to get an abortion, she can then make the adult decision to get married.
    And, under the equal protection clause, this will not be restricted to just girls. And it will not be restricted to those that live in those 37 states.

    And, thus, pedomarriage is born.
    11 Liberal Rules for Racism in America
    それは残念だよね?
    Obama is a clown in blackface. Oops! I misspoke. My bad.

  4. #304
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,159

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    If it's part of your job description and you refuse to do it for whatever reason you need to be terminated immediately.

    Your argument is bull****.
    read the constitution. the SCOTUS has ruled time and time again that companies and governments have to make reasonable accommodations to religious objections or practices. they have also ruled that just because you are in a public setting that you lose your 1st amendment and constitutional rights.
    the constitution overrides any local law or your opinion.

    there is nothing that anyone can do to this people for religiously objecting to handing out marriage licenses. to fire them over their objection is religious discrimination which
    you know is against the law.

    you might want to take a look at your own argument vs the constitution.

  5. #305
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,617

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I took your comments the only reasonable way they could be taken.
    Obviously you didn't, as you derived from them something which was never intended.

    You recommended that Christians who typically, for the most part, marry in their church - a ceremony that has been recognized by governments for your country's entire history and longer - should be penalized and have to also get a State sponsored ceremony/marriage if they wish to have the State recognize it. That's punitive and spiteful.
    How is that penalizing Christians? It's simply removing the cooperation of church and state, which is to the benefit of those Christians who do not wish their religious views to intersect with gay marriage.

    You have a very unusual definition of penalization to suggest making all citizens who wish to be married in the eyes of the law go through the exact same steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I never said I was opposed to equal protection under the law.
    But you seem to be taking the position homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to marry.
    This was strictly in response to the definition of marriage which you and others were chiding me about.
    Because the only definition you've provided which shows it is ONLY between one man and one woman is your religious definition, which holds no sway in our government.

    I provided you a dictionary definition of marriage which did not include as being only between one man and one woman. Thus, there was no redefining of definitions, except by you and those like you who wish to impose your religious definition.
    I'm glad you agree with me and the old lying Obama before political expedience took over, that marriage is between a man and a woman.
    I don't. And have never come close to suggesting I do. You, however, posted a response by Obama which you suggest supports your view, which means you agree homosexuals should be granted equal rights.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,437

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    For whatever value x, the assertion is wrong on its face x number of times.

    The Constitution does not say "marriage is a right," not in those words, not in any words. If you say otherwise, you're lying.

    If you want to prove you're not lying, cite the text within the U.S. Constitution that says "marriage is a right." You can't do so, in fact.
    Here is some terms you might be missing.

    "Due process clause"

    "14th amendment"

    "Loving v. Virginia"

    And

    "Supremacy clause"
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  7. #307
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    I dont think SCOTUS is going to get involved anytime soon. The Texas attorney general, though obviously condeming the decision,did not state that Texas as a whole would refuse to issue licenses to gays.

    Rather, he stated that under Texas law, individual clerks can refuse to issue them. My guess is that all the federal courts, Obama, and the justice departnment will require is that a willing clerk be available.



    Texas as a whole is not refusing to issue marriage licenses to gays. Rather, state law allows individual clerks to decline to issue one. In short, one has the right to a SSM marriage in Texas. One however, does not have the right that the license be issued by a particular clerk.
    No. This will go to court and involve monetary decisions. This is a government agent, not a private member of the clergy. This doesn't fly. Even the JoP in Miss./Alabama/Louisiana (can't remember which it was but posted earlier in this thread) was told that he was being sued by an interracial couple he refused to perform a wedding for a few years back, and that he should resign because he would lose. Doesn't matter that there are other people available, he is a government representative. How would you feel if at the DMV someone told you they couldn't help you, you'd have to wait for someone else because of your race, religion, sex, spouse?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #308
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I think you have to look at what might be motivating the "dislike". If one were to look at the polls, people don't see gays as anything special. They are gay, so what? Be gay. That seems to be the sentiment.

    But this issue has been more than just equality in entering into a contractual agreement, and I think that, along with some other in your face issues, is where the emotions get their energy.

    As to the Church's, there is already a Supreme Court case that may form the basis of forcing Churches to perform marriage ceremonies that are in direct conflict of their faith.

    You may want to familiarize yourself with the Bob Jones University case, and the resulting loss of tax status.

    Nothing is impossible, for what seemed impossible not long ago, has become law.
    There is still gay bashing. There are businesses that do not want to serve us. There is gay bullying in schools still. There is still gay bashing. We are not just gays and lesbians we are every filthy name some can speak. If a child comes out at home they are asked to leave or stay in a home where they are hated even by there parents. Gay teens are the largest segment of homeless kids. Suicide rates are high. The flippant they are gay so what comment does not fly at all. The in your face issues start with the lies people are taught. They are told we are perverts and we make a choice to be gay. It starts when people choose not to understand. Those are the emotional attacks and yes this is the energy.
    I will stand by what I said and SCOTUS will not make churches marry gays. I think the churches should have lost their tax status years ago when they began to support political policies or candidates and when they choose to fight some policies The Prop 8 campaign put down by the Mormon Church and the Catholic Church.
    I can't find your comment on immigration. If you recall it of link it I will respond.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  9. #309
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,883

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by keymanjim View Post
    What you said there is also calls to question what age a person becomes an adult. Since there is multiple ages in which a person can engage in adult activities. Using abortion as a guide is not out of the question since getting an abortion is an even greater act than getting married. It also underscores one of the arguments in which homosexuality was made normal in the eyes of the government. That being that homosexuality is found in nature. What is also found in nature is sex at puberty. And, if we are to use nature as our guide to declare one act as normal, then we can do so for the other. (Since a girl would not need an abortion if she was incapable of getting pregnant.)
    That homosexuality is found in nature is a side issue. Rape is found in nature, so is child murder, murder of other animal's children (rountinely!), incredible cruelty, etc. The cases centered on the civil and human rights of consenting adults in modern society.

    So, the discussion becomes:
    Homosexuality is normal because it's found in nature. So, gays should be allowed to marry since they are normal.
    Sex at puberty is normal because it is found in nature. So, girls of any age should be allowed to marry since it's normal.
    BUT WAIT!. They cannot get married since they can't make adult decisions.
    Oh, but they do. The majority of states (37)allows her to make the adult decision to get an abortion without her parent's consent.
    Therefore, since in the eyes of the government a girl of any age can make an adult decision to get an abortion, she can then make the adult decision to get married.
    And, under the equal protection clause, this will not be restricted to just girls. And it will not be restricted to those that live in those 37 states.

    And, thus, pedomarriage is born.
    Goodness, you start with a false premise and the argument deteriorates from there.

  10. #310
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    28,132

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    What bull**** baiting!

    Shame,

    Post ONE reference to anyone EVER saying all sex in marriage is rape.....

    That's the most hate filled post I have ever seen allowed.
    You haven't seen many radical feminists then.

    "Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice." Andrea Dworkin
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •