Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 562

Thread: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays[W:297]

  1. #191
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I understand your point, I'm not buying it, and I'm saying let's test it. There's no animus if a State goes out of the marriage business. If a State removes all legislation related to marriage licenses, the issuance of them, the validity of them, who can perform marriages, etc., it is actually opening up the business of marriage rather than stunting it. It is saying as a government they are letting the free market and private enterprise take over. It's not prohibiting marriage, it's just getting out of the way. How is that a sign of animus?
    If the state gets out of the marriage business because of the SCOTUS ruling, then that is animus. It would be no different than a state abolishing its public school system after Brown v. Board of Education.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #192
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,807

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If the state gets out of the marriage business because of the SCOTUS ruling, then that is animus. It would be no different than a state abolishing its public school system after Brown v. Board of Education.
    So let someone prove it in court. The argument I would make is that the Supreme Court has decided to open up the long standing legal definition of marriage and mandate its broadening across the country so, therefore, we as State x have decided to get out of the way and allow for the broadening and availability of marriage to anyone and everyone who chooses that path. We will no longer set up restrictions and regulations, bylaws and fees, and simply recognize any coupling that comes our way. How can that be punitive?
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If the state gets out of the marriage business because of the SCOTUS ruling, then that is animus. It would be no different than a state abolishing its public school system after Brown v. Board of Education.
    Both would be nice. The later would call for constitutional amendments in a lot of states though.

  4. #194
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    07-20-17 @ 11:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,847

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The opinions of 5 SCOTUS Justices! Which 1 post ago, and according to you, were valid proof of some constitutional crisis. A constitutional crisis that I asserted doesn't exist because these matters have been resolved through other issues already! Good grief, if you find I'm wrong at least prove it through something other than appeals to authority! That will at least make you look like you have some sort of argument. However, the reality is that there simply is no constitutional crisis so this is a non-issue. People will be fired for not doing their jobs, and the state of Texas allows clerks to deny rights based on religious belief, there will be quite a few lawyers ready to make some money from the lawsuits.
    Gee, I don't know Justice Hatuey, I think the opinions cited by Supreme Court Justices on a matter before the Supreme Court offers a fair degree of proof. Sorry you can't wrap your head around that.

    Your unilateral opinion offered as an absolute inarguable fact have certainly collapsed any credibility you thought you might have on the subject. I'll just stick to the learned words of Supreme Court Justices, rather than assume I know more than they do on the subject.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  5. #195
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,301

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If the state gets out of the marriage business because of the SCOTUS ruling, then that is animus. It would be no different than a state abolishing its public school system after Brown v. Board of Education.
    Or if a Southern state decided to get rid of marriage licenses after Loving v. Virginia. It's almost like people forget that there is nothing new about SSM except the same sex part. It will be handled exactly like interracial marriage and the gender of the people involved will become as relevant as their race. That's exactly what is going to happen. I mean, sure, the homophobes and lip service supporters on the right of SSM will come up with a dozen situations for why someone else's rights are being violated, however, barring some extreme case, the overwhelming majority of these issues have been resolved in court already.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #196
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    So let someone prove it in court. The argument I would make is that the Supreme Court has decided to open up the long standing legal definition of marriage and mandate its broadening across the country so, therefore, we as State x have decided to get out of the way and allow for the broadening and availability of marriage to anyone and everyone who chooses that path. We will no longer set up restrictions and regulations, bylaws and fees, and simply recognize any coupling that comes our way. How can that be punitive?
    The legal principle here is so basic and clear cut that if this goes to court, the state will lose. Frankly, your argument would laughed out of any federal court. In fact, the court would probably refuse to even hear it. The issue is settled, bigots in AG offices just need to accept it.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    12-09-15 @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    775

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    I wonder if people will look back in 50 years or so and wonder why homosexuals weren't allowed to marry...

  8. #198
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,807

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The legal principle here is so basic and clear cut that if this goes to court, the state will lose. Frankly, your argument would laughed out of any federal court. In fact, the court would probably refuse to even hear it. The issue is settled, bigots in AG offices just need to accept it.
    Clearly, we disagree. But I'll defer to your apparent credentials as a jurist in order to close the argument.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  9. #199
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,807

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by Harman View Post
    I wonder if people will look back in 50 years or so and wonder why homosexuals weren't allowed to marry...
    I'm willing to bet that in 50 years, people will look back and wonder why anyone wanted to get married.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,301

    Re: Texas AG Says Workers Can Refuse Marriage Licenses to Gays

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Gee, I don't know Justice Hatuey, I think the opinions cited by Supreme Court Justices on a matter before the Supreme Court offers a fair degree of proof. Sorry you can't wrap your head around that.
    A fair degree of proof... for what? A constitutional crisis? Lmao. This isn't the first 5-4 vote or for that matter a rare one. It's not a constitutional crisis.

    Your unilateral opinion offered as an absolute inarguable fact have certainly collapsed any credibility you thought you might have on the subject. I'll just stick to the learned words of Supreme Court Justices, rather than assume I know more than they do on the subject.
    You can do that, however, you'll still be going against the majority of those learned words.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •