Page 94 of 193 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #931
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    45,926

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I was being slightly sarcastic when I posted that. It won't be a case of "Hey, that's that, and let's all move on with our lives". Hell, this freaking thread is evidence that isn't going to happen. I'm fine with people marrying whomever they please - I did, and I respect the right of everyone else to do the same. But to read through this thread, you'd think the cure for cancer was finally uncovered. I haven't seen such cheerleading since my 1985 high school homecoming game. There's nothing like gloating to make it enjoyable.
    I think it's sad on a day like this you are focusing on some nebulous, hypothetical group of greedy people who are only fighting for gay rights for the money. Turn on your freaking television and look at the faces of the people who have been granted the same dignity and respect that the rest of us have always enjoyed, and tell me you aren't ****ing happy for them.

    And yes. I'm going to gloat that a bunch of hateful people didn't get their way, that a bunch of assholes don't get to keep blocking the freedom of others just because they think that's icky. I gloat when injustices end.

  2. #932
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    45,926

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Dude, you're gonna have to find someone else to argue that odd squirrelly example with. Its been a long day and I'm just too tired to engage in a round of impassioned nitpicking. bon chance and adieu...
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Enjoy your witch hunt.


    I'll be over at the Tiki bar drinking margaritas and Belgian ale.
    Poor Goshin is very, very upset that anyone would dare question his words on a debate forum. Bye dude.

  3. #933
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I think it's sad on a day like this you are focusing on some nebulous, hypothetical group of greedy people who are only fighting for gay rights for the money. Turn on your freaking television and look at the faces of the people who have been granted the same dignity and respect that the rest of us have always enjoyed, and tell me you aren't ****ing happy for them.

    And yes. I'm going to gloat that a bunch of hateful people didn't get their way, that a bunch of assholes don't get to keep blocking the freedom of others just because they think that's icky. I gloat when injustices end.
    If you can find where I mentioned money or greedy people in this thread, I'll make a donation to the charity of your choice and send the evidence to the moderator of your choice.

    And if you read any of my posts on gay marriage, I said I'm fine with it. I don't care who marries who...never have, never will.

    Does anyone here actually read posts?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #934
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    equal protection clause. good decision. no state should be allowed to deny a fundamental right based on sexual orientation.
    hopefully the ruling will be used for courts to enforce equal protection in employment and housing rights in the 28 states where discrimination is legal. That's definitely the next (ongoing) battle. This is a huge for the couples, and very vindicating for those who have suffered - married and not - and who expected to never see this in their lifetime (certainly didn't seem that way in 2004), but in most of the country there's still work to be done.

  5. #935
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    87,742
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Kinda closing thoughts after I have had some time to digest this: I really wish Kennedy would have written the opinion differently. He spent almost the whole time explaining why it was the right thing to do, and almost no time explaining why it was the legal thing to do, and this despite the fact that the legal arguments where definitely there. There where multiple paths that could have explained the legal reasoning that would have been consistent with precedent, but he chose not to explain the reasoning used. This made Roberts job with his dissent very easy, and that dissent is what will be remembered(he has a very vivid writing style) along with the outcome. It is like Kennedy tailored the ruling to avoid making is usable as any kind of possible precedent, and to do that he really did not talk about the law or the constitution.

    I kinda expected that I would like the outcome, but not like the ruling, but the level of my discontent with the ruling is really high. That I suspect it was intentionally done that way does not change my dislike for it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #936
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,707

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    Very bad week for the GOP. Heads exploding all over the place. LOL
    Yea, the stench was terrible, it almost made me wish for a different decision.
    My views are my views, then there is the Christian view:
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Of course the third world dregs are breeding like rabbits.

  7. #937
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The mental breakdowns occurring are just so... It's everything I thought it would be.

    As Deuce put it earlier... delicious!

    More to come.
    Indeed, although there are far more common areas of discrimination than marriage (housing, employment), it is SO delicious to see the emo tears from the right wing fanatics, who view this as the "sky is falling, endtimes" scenario

  8. #938
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Kinda closing thoughts after I have had some time to digest this: I really wish Kennedy would have written the opinion differently. He spent almost the whole time explaining why it was the right thing to do, and almost no time explaining why it was the legal thing to do, and this despite the fact that the legal arguments where definitely there. There where multiple paths that could have explained the legal reasoning that would have been consistent with precedent, but he chose not to explain the reasoning used. This made Roberts job with his dissent very easy, and that dissent is what will be remembered(he has a very vivid writing style) along with the outcome. It is like Kennedy tailored the ruling to avoid making is usable as any kind of possible precedent, and to do that he really did not talk about the law or the constitution.

    I kinda expected that I would like the outcome, but not like the ruling, but the level of my discontent with the ruling is really high. That I suspect it was intentionally done that way does not change my dislike for it.
    Roberts' dissent was unique, I agree.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #939
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by GunFora View Post
    This is a bad week for America and Americans. The moral fabric of the USA is coming apart at the seams. The SCOTUS has just redefined "marriage". The Red Diaper Doper babies are succeeding in taking down America from the inside without even firing a shot. Just as Krustev promised a half century ago.
    well you could always move to russia if you don't like it. After all, they don't have gay marriage. What is it you are so fond of, "america love it or leave it"

  10. #940
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,623

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Well if you say so?
    no, because the facts show you're wrong

    They expire when overturned..
    No, they don't expire when they're overturned and that decision has not been overturned.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •