Page 40 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #391
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,732

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I doubt very many will because it simply isn't worth it and they will see a reduction in people who decide to turn to the church for their marriage, or even wedding ceremony.
    They aren't performing them to make money; at most you should only be paying the pastor/rabbi/priest for his time.

    They will still have ceremonies, but they won't sign the state's paper. They will send folks somewhere to get it signed.

  2. #392
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,216

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Meanwhile, tornadoes will continue to occur in the bible belt...LOL
    hahahaha that's brilliant.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #393
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,334

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    In a strange way, I think this will actually help the Reps chances (slightly) at the White House in 2016.

    Now, they have to put this aside and stop talking about it so much.

    Because they sounded like absolute DINOSAURS going on about their objections to same sex marriage.

    There are few things on the average Republican POTUS hopeful platform that sounded more irrational then being against same-sex marriage.

    Of course, they still don't get it that it sounds ridiculous. But at least now they have no choice and join the 21'st century on this.


    Once again, I am neither Dem nor Rep - I think both parties are worse then useless.
    GOP quiet on this issue? Ain't gonna happen. Santorum, Huckabee, and Cruz will ride this pony all the way to the glue factory.

  4. #394
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    87,792
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    I had to stop over to my mom's house this morning. AS I walk in, she has the TV on and asked me if I had heard about this. To my surprise, she was almost in tears, saying she did not think she would see this in her lifetime. While she is, at 70 and single, unlikely to make use of the law herself, she is still incredibly moved that she could if she desired. And her being so happy made me pretty happy. I told her that the changing attitudes where precisely because she and people like her had lived openly and well, being good neighbors, good coworkers and good friends. It is easy to deny from those icky people in imagination. It is much harder to deny marriage from those we know and like and care about.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #395
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,320

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Please cite the exact passage in the Constitution where marriage is listed as a right. If you can't (and you can't) you're wrong.
    here are the court cases :

    14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right | American Foundation for Equal Rights

    and here's where it says that they can make that decision :

    Section 2.

    The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, and treaties made, or which shall be made, under their authority;--to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls;--to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction;--to controversies to which the United States shall be a party;--to controversies between two or more states;--between a state and citizens of another state;--between citizens of different states;--between citizens of the same state claiming lands under grants of different states, and between a state, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Setting aside the fact that I obviously don't like slavery and do think freedom of contract is important such that I don't really care if seventeen folks want to get "married," regardless of who's having sex with whom...

    On the level of what it does regarding the Constitution, this is no different from and no better than Dred Scott.
    incorrect, as i already explained.

  6. #396
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    What a steaming crock of bull****.

    The Constitution says nothing about this topic.
    But other justices argued that the court should not be able to order states to change their marriage definition. Chief Justice John Roberts, in a dissent joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia, called the ruling an "extraordinary step."

    "Many people will rejoice at this decision, and I begrudge none their celebration. But for those who believe in a government of laws, not of men, the majority's approach is deeply disheartening," he wrote. "... The majority's decision is an act of will, not legal judgment."

    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."
    Supreme Court: Same-sex couples can marry in all 50 states | Fox News

  7. #397
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,511

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    So they can be free to discriminate who they "marry" based upon religious reasons. If it's not a legal marriage the state has no horse in the race because it would only be a religious ceremony.
    But they are still free to discriminate who they can marry for religious reasons...in a religious marriage. There's no reason why they can't wear both hats. If the religious official doesn't feel he can perform the duties of a civil official, then he simply wouldn't take the job. Legally barring them from taking the job would actually be illegal.

  8. #398
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-06-16 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,653

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Tim, it's *always* been legal. There's always been a fundamental right to polygamy. We're just waiting for the right five justices to come along and pull it of their asses, where it's been hiding all this time.
    Well I read the entire decision and the dissents of all 4 Justices. In the dissents, they, as I have here, intimated that, not so far into the future, we will see religious expression (Which is protected an enumerated in the Constitution) challenged, and also, the broad definition of liberty abused in ways that should worry every American, and that it doesn't matter which side of the aisle, nor of what philosophical or political lean one might entertain. In the nutshell, 5 robes just granted a right to a cross section of American's where previously none had existed. They Amended the Constitution. That is SCARY!

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #399
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    87,792
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Abandoning the rule of law in favor of judicial fiat is not a victory for rationality. No bigotry against homosexuals required to see how this is an awful, awful thing for the Supreme Court to do.
    Just to make the point, the 14th amendment is the rule of law. It made this decision inevitable.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #400
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    12-06-16 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,268

    re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Oh yea?

    Brown v. Buhman, 11-cv-0652-CW (2013)[10] — the portions of Utah's anti-polygamy laws which prohibit multiple cohabitation ruled unconstitutional, but Utah allowed to maintain its ban on multiple marriage licenses
    Lol, that's not a Supreme Court case.

    Fail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •