Page 184 of 193 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1831
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    LOL! Now, that's a good one. You mean when there is a Statewide election to allow a certain type of marriage and it gets defeated?
    Actually I was referring to interracial marriage, but good job pointing it out that those were put in place by the will of the people as well.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #1832
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Prior to this decision, marriage was clearly defined as between a man and a woman. States had the power to keep it that way. Now this ruling takes that power away from the States and opens the door to more challenges. They now have the power of this ruling behind them to bolster their case. How can the court deny them their new civil right when they just said okay to gays?
    No, it wasn't. We had same sex marriage in this country for over a decade before this decision, and technically we had same sex marriages recognized by the federal government without them realizing it longer than that (we have had transgendered people legally changing their sex since before 2003, and some were legally married to a person of the opposite sex prechange, making their postchange marriage situation as male/male or female/female, and it was legal when it was entered into so they were still recognized as such).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1833
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    06-28-16 @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,654

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Why do you think it was legal after Loving?
    I don't. You do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #1834
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Incest was illegal prior to 1967.
    I disagree with your belief that incest was made legal because of Loving.

  5. #1835
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I'm not angry with him for saying it at all. Again, it's one of those comfortable illusions we hold that the SCOTUS and our nation is bound to the US Constitution. Just as we hold the illusion that our money is backed by something concrete.

    Like if the head of the Treasury came out tomorrow with a statement saying, hey, the value we give money is something we sort of make up as we go along. If we said it would be worth nothing tomorrow, it would be worth nothing. Now, most of us know that already in our heart of hearts, but the illusion keeps the system going and us with it, so we keep the illusion.
    The values of anything anyone uses as currency is always made up by people. Things only have value because we, people value them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #1836
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    06-28-16 @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,654

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    I disagree with your belief that incest was made legal because of Loving.
    According to your logic the absence of limitations in the Loving ruling legalized incestual marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  7. #1837
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    09-20-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    I disagree with your belief that incest was made legal because of Loving.

  8. #1838
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually I was referring to interracial marriage, but good job pointing it out that those were put in place by the will of the people as well.
    You forgot to point out that before Loving, marriage was between a man and a woman, and after Loving, it was between a man and a woman.

    And, as you pointed out, the will of the people was to keep it that way. But the Court decided that it is not that way at all. They decided that all the States were violating the Constitution for almost 150 years.

    They removed that little limitation, and opened the flood gates.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #1839
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, it wasn't. We had same sex marriage in this country for over a decade before this decision, and technically we had same sex marriages recognized by the federal government without them realizing it longer than that (we have had transgendered people legally changing their sex since before 2003, and some were legally married to a person of the opposite sex prechange, making their postchange marriage situation as male/male or female/female, and it was legal when it was entered into so they were still recognized as such).
    Well, let's put it this way, for the sake of argument, for most of the history prior to Massachusetts, it was between a man and a woman. And it only started when the courts forced it on us.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #1840
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    06-28-16 @ 10:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,654

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    I disagree with your belief that incest was made legal because of Loving.
    According to your logic the absence of limitations in the Loving ruling legalized incestual marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •