Page 161 of 193 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1601
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,732

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    ??? Not sure what that has to do with this except for this, if this is what you were thinking: if you dont want to participate in gay marriage, dont marry someone of the same sex. If you dont want to participate in abortion, dont have one.

    See? It's all about choice and neither one affects you *at all.*
    Hospitals owned by church-related organizations, which account for about 13% of hospitals, are re-evaluating participation. I don't own a hospital, so I'm not sure why you are making this about me.

  2. #1602
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,732

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, I know a couple of such churches and they welcome everyone, including gay couples. And marry them. Not just to keep from lawsuits or their tax status. So I'm sure there are plenty more. On another forum, there's a gay minister of a protestant parish...in Iowa.

    There are many Christian churches in the US that accept gays.
    You obviously didn't pay attention to the oral arguments before the justices.

  3. #1603
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You obviously didn't pay attention to the oral arguments before the justices.
    That doesnt refute my statement.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #1604
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Hospitals owned by church-related organizations, which account for about 13% of hospitals, are re-evaluating participation. I don't own a hospital, so I'm not sure why you are making this about me.
    Truly "Christian" run facilities will not just pull up stakes. If they do, then they are hypocrites because such hospitals have been treating sinners of all shades forever. Why do you think they will now just selectively choose to target gays? That seems rather hypocritical to me and not actually based on religious belief.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #1605
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Truly "Christian" run facilities will not just pull up stakes. If they do, then they are hypocrites because such hospitals have been treating sinners of all shades forever. Why do you think they will now just selectively choose to target gays? That seems rather hypocritical to me and not actually based on religious belief.
    I can't bring myself to believe that God would punish someone over something they can't control; Saint Peter also said that if lust burns in your heart that it's better to marry and keep it within the union.

    The prohibition in the bible is about decidance anyway, not normal people who happen to be gay.

  6. #1606
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    10-12-16 @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,849

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Hospitals owned by church-related organizations, which account for about 13% of hospitals, are re-evaluating participation. I don't own a hospital, so I'm not sure why you are making this about me.
    The issue arises from Supreme Court precedent. In 1983, Bob Jones University challenged its right to remain segregated while maintaining it's tax exempt status under First Amendment rights. The Supreme Court ruled that Bob Jones could not maintain a tax exempt status unless it was willing to desegregate.

    A wiki to the case law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jo..._United_States

    There will certainly be some lawsuits which will use this reasoning to pursue whether institutions can maintain their tax exempt status while discriminating or refusing to participate in gay marriages (especially if they are willing to engage in heterosexual weddings). It will likely be a very close issue, but I think the tax exempt status will be tossed to the way side once these cases reach the Supreme Court (assuming the Court's makeup is not significantly different by that point). After all, if a college was unable to win based on its first amendment right to free speech, I doubt that a first amendment right to practice of religion will receive greater deference, especially considering all the ways we already limit the right to religious practice.

  7. #1607
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,652

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes, you won in the immediate on the issue but lost like the rest of us, long term, on the method. It matters as much how you get there as where you get to.
    I also suspect that within the term of the next president at least two, maybe even three of the sitting liberal justices will die, and God help us if that happens and Hillary is president..


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  8. #1608
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,770

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes, you won in the immediate on the issue but lost like the rest of us, long term, on the method. It matters as much how you get there as where you get to.
    nope cause the method was just fine. Whether people like it or not its a win for us all. WHen equal rights win we all win. And the method of the states being checked and overruled when they over stepped thier power, infringed on individual rights and created laws that and violated the constitution is exactly how the system was designed. We the people is the constitution and we the people won. Feelings and or bigotry dont matter to that reality or equal rights. Its happy days and im glad to witness that history!

    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!

  9. #1609
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,096

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    First off...there is very little chance that a Republican would win California (in the near foreseeable future). If they ever ARE going to win California it would have to be with a moderate. Someone the likes of Cruz or Walker would never stand a chance.
    See, you have the same thinking as the republican establishment. Reagan won both NY and California. Moderate Republicans are losers. If you want that kind of person, then you might as well as vote for the Democrat. Of course, that is why the media always favors the moderate republicans. They loved McCain in the primaries. Of couse, he was then the devil in the general election.

    Second...I don't know where you get the idea that Democrats are trying to flood Texas with illegals. First of all, illegals can't vote and vote ID doesn't change that at all. .
    Oh, please. Texas is the Holy Grail for them. Nay, they are not for open boarders at all. And they certainly don't want illegals voting, no way!
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #1610
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,623

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    The issue arises from Supreme Court precedent. In 1983, Bob Jones University challenged its right to remain segregated while maintaining it's tax exempt status under First Amendment rights. The Supreme Court ruled that Bob Jones could not maintain a tax exempt status unless it was willing to desegregate.

    A wiki to the case law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jo..._United_States

    There will certainly be some lawsuits which will use this reasoning to pursue whether institutions can maintain their tax exempt status while discriminating or refusing to participate in gay marriages (especially if they are willing to engage in heterosexual weddings). It will likely be a very close issue, but I think the tax exempt status will be tossed to the way side once these cases reach the Supreme Court (assuming the Court's makeup is not significantly different by that point). After all, if a college was unable to win based on its first amendment right to free speech, I doubt that a first amendment right to practice of religion will receive greater deference, especially considering all the ways we already limit the right to religious practice.
    Actually, in the decision for that case, the court explicitly stated that it only applied to religious schools, and did not apply to churches or other, purely religious, institutions
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •