Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1531
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,096

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    If the GOP had a viable candidate you might have a point....the problem is...they are falling over each other seeing who can out wacko the next. This election isn't even going to be close....and once Hillary is in and Julian Castro serves the next 8 years after her....perhaps the GOP will recover enough to find a decent candidate to put up.
    I think you may be partially right. Obama only got elected because the Republicans put up two weak candidates, McCain and Romney. Bush wasn't that great either. Reagan was the last real conservative, and he won in two landslides.

    But what about the dems? They all seem a bit shy, only a few to choose from, and not so great ones at that. But, you think it won't even be close? Expecting a Reagan like landslide for Hillary? Or is it Sanders?
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  2. #1532
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Same sex marriage supporters are part of "we the people", and we did not lose at all.
    Yes, you won in the immediate on the issue but lost like the rest of us, long term, on the method. It matters as much how you get there as where you get to.
    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

  3. #1533
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I think you may be partially right. Obama only got elected because the Republicans put up two weak candidates, McCain and Romney. Bush wasn't that great either. Reagan was the last real conservative, and he won in two landslides.

    But what about the dems? They all seem a bit shy, only a few to choose from, and not so great ones at that. But, you think it won't even be close? Expecting a Reagan like landslide for Hillary? Or is it Sanders?
    It will be a Reagan/Mondale or Clinton/Dole type landslide for Hillary, barring any huge development. There just isn't a strong dynamic candidate on the GOP side that is likely to garner much excitement. That being said.....you never know what types of development might occur between nowand election day.

    I disagree with you however on McCain.....I don't think anyone was going to beat Obama the first time around...the second time around, Obama was ripe for the picking just like GWB was in his second term......The problem with the Republicans though wasn't so much Romney....it was that all the strong contenders at the time stayed out of the race

  4. #1534
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    It will be a Reagan/Mondale or Clinton/Dole type landslide for Hillary, barring any huge development. There just isn't a strong dynamic candidate on the GOP side that is likely to garner much excitement. That being said.....you never know what types of development might occur between nowand election day.

    I disagree with you however on McCain.....I don't think anyone was going to beat Obama the first time around...the second time around, Obama was ripe for the picking just like GWB was in his second term......The problem with the Republicans though wasn't so much Romney....it was that all the strong contenders at the time stayed out of the race
    I disagree with you on the first part. There is absolutely no way to tell that until a clear republican candidate emerges to go up against the damaged heir apparent democrat candidate.

    The second part I very much agree with. McCain was a very weak candidate even from the republican point of view, and Obama a very strong, almost messianic candidate. Romney wasn't even really a serious candidate, more a placeholder.
    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

  5. #1535
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,096

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    It will be a Reagan/Mondale or Clinton/Dole type landslide for Hillary, barring any huge development. There just isn't a strong dynamic candidate on the GOP side that is likely to garner much excitement. That being said.....you never know what types of development might occur between nowand election day.

    I disagree with you however on McCain.....I don't think anyone was going to beat Obama the first time around...the second time around, Obama was ripe for the picking just like GWB was in his second term......The problem with the Republicans though wasn't so much Romney....it was that all the strong contenders at the time stayed out of the race
    No, that's not happening. You would need to get a lot of crossover votes, and that won't happen. Obama got votes from people that would have vote GOP just because he is black. Nothing like that seems to be happening now. Unless you think droves of Republicans can't wait to vote for Hillary.

    If anything, democrats are more prone to crossover due to what Obama has done. There are plenty that are not hardcore leftists and are not so happy with his handling of things.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #1536
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Don't worry, your mom is correct. It first started being brought up in the 70s, though most mainstream people would not have heard of it. It took off in the 80s, which would end up with DOMA being passed in 1996 in response to the growing discussion of the issue.
    I never remember gay marriage being discussed in the 1970s. Who started talking about it, and when, and in what context? Who were famous symbols of gay marriage? There was a gay rights movement that began in the 1970s (remember the Stonewall Riots?), but not a marriage movement. That really didn't come around until the late 80s and early 90s.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #1537
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,203

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I think you may be partially right. Obama only got elected because the Republicans put up two weak candidates, McCain and Romney. Bush wasn't that great either. Reagan was the last real conservative, and he won in two landslides.
    It wasn't just that, Obama had the novelty of voting for a black man in the White House and there were tons of people, especially in 2008, who came out and registered to vote for that reason and that reason alone. He really only won because he wasn't a white guy. We also can't forget that Obama is indirectly to blame for things like Prop 8 passing in California, most of the people who had never voted before, the poor blacks and Hispanics, were also very religious and voted for a lot of things that otherwise would never have had a chance. Thanks Obama.

    Reagan was the last sort of real conservative but he spent too much time catering to the newly formed religious right which had joined up following Nixon's Southern Strategy. That set the GOP down the wrong road, a wrong road that they're still on today.

    But what about the dems? They all seem a bit shy, only a few to choose from, and not so great ones at that. But, you think it won't even be close? Expecting a Reagan like landslide for Hillary? Or is it Sanders?
    I don't think there's going to be a landslide for anyone, whoever wins will win by a very small margin because neither party is putting up anyone worth voting for.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #1538
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    87,742
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I never remember gay marriage being discussed in the 1970s. Who started talking about it, and when, and in what context? Who were famous symbols of gay marriage? There was a gay rights movement that began in the 1970s (remember the Stonewall Riots?), but not a marriage movement. That really didn't come around until the late 80s and early 90s.
    Reading is Fundamental! Notice I said most mainstream people would not have heard about it in the 70s? So you not remembering it is hardly surprising. It was at the time mostly discussed by gay people. Just because you do not remember something happening does not mean it did not happen. Just one example was in 1984 when Berkeley became the fist city to offer benefits to domestic partners. By 1991 the first court case was filed in Hawaii.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #1539
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Reading is Fundamental! Notice I said most mainstream people would not have heard about it in the 70s? So you not remembering it is hardly surprising. It was at the time mostly discussed by gay people. Just because you do not remember something happening does not mean it did not happen. Just one example was in 1984 when Berkeley became the fist city to offer benefits to domestic partners. By 1991 the first court case was filed in Hawaii.
    I read what you wrote. Calm down. I asked you where it was being discussed in the 1970s. You didn't answer.

    Who started talking about it? When? In what context?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #1540
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It wasn't just that, Obama had the novelty of voting for a black man in the White House and there were tons of people, especially in 2008, who came out and registered to vote for that reason and that reason alone. He really only won because he wasn't a white guy. We also can't forget that Obama is indirectly to blame for things like Prop 8 passing in California, most of the people who had never voted before, the poor blacks and Hispanics, were also very religious and voted for a lot of things that otherwise would never have had a chance. Thanks Obama.

    Reagan was the last sort of real conservative but he spent too much time catering to the newly formed religious right which had joined up following Nixon's Southern Strategy. That set the GOP down the wrong road, a wrong road that they're still on today.



    I don't think there's going to be a landslide for anyone, whoever wins will win by a very small margin because neither party is putting up anyone worth voting for.
    Obama's race cost him tons of votes in the south. He actually did worse than kerry there, and i think it's obvious why. Obama was seen as a savior for the rest of the entire country in '08, especially after the global financial meltdown. You're seriously underestimating his appeal to white voters outside the racist deep south (which always votes repub anyway). If you read this, it's clear that he would've won anyway, and the black votes just made it a landslide:

    Exit polls: How Obama won - David Paul Kuhn - POLITICO.com

    Obama also won more white votes than kerry nationwide

    Obama's race may have helped him in certain regards, just like his race would've been made his election 100% impossible in the 230 years leading to that.

    Or maybe, just maybe his platform and outspokenness about wealth inequality resonated with a certain voter subset that was disproportionately impoverished, and they just happened to share the same race. This is how bill clinton, "the first black president," got a huge # of black votes. Also kind of like how obama got 70% of the gay vote - not because he's gay or publicly supported SSM, but because he was the first candidate to even voluntarily broach the subject in a non hostile way.

    When one party treats people like total inferiors and the other at least can tolerate them, guess who's gonna reap the rewards. The repubs will still be dealing with this, even against white hillary
    Last edited by chromium; 06-30-15 at 04:38 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •