Page 141 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1401
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No one was talking about the likelihood of gay marriage in the middle east. It's about how/who makes the decision to restrict or allow the behavior. Our system, it used to be the Constitution that was the ultimate authority. Now it's the will of the Ayatollahs.
    You are the one calling for more restrictions on freedoms. That is much more in line with Middle Eastern Politics whether you accept it or not. The Constitution is and always will be the ultimate authority. It is intended to stand up to people such as yourself who would seek to restrict our freedoms (much like middle eastern countries). You are looking in a mirror and trying to deflect what is staring back.

  2. #1402
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Just out: U S S.Ct. rules that there is a constitutional right to same sex marriage, going further than just ruling that states have to recognize it, if performed in a state where it's legal.

    This has an impact on the 14 states that have passed laws banning it.

    NOTE: The ruling was NOT just that states have to recognize it. The ruling is that it is now LEGAL, being constitutionally protected. It COULD HAVE made the ruling more narrow, but it did not. It went all the way. The matter is now settled. Gay marriage is legal, like interracial marriage is.

    NBC
    I have to say that his ruling will not change one relationship in America. Marriage isn't about government permission, it's about who you love and want to spend a life with. The government telling you it's ok is just a side show. Now gays get to have government sanctions when they get divorced just like everyone else in the country. Good luck with that. I think it's a states rights issue but our values are so corrupt it was just a matter of time anyway even on the state level.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  3. #1403
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,978

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Your sour grapes are no more founded in logic than the dissenting opinions.
    I give that peevish bleat all the weight it deserves. As usual, all you have to offer is uninformed prattle. You don't know the first thing about the legal reasoning of the dissenting opinions. I doubt you understand the substantive due process theory this result-driven decision was based on about any better than you understand the theory of relativity. You have no idea why substantive due process has been so harshly criticized--and with good reason--for so many decades, and apparently you don't care.

    Nor do you care, evidently, that Obergefell subverts democracy, threatens religious freedom, and makes a mockery of the rule of law. This was nothing but judicial fiat, and as an unconstitutional dictate it deserves no one's respect. Even a homosexual with a modicum of respect for the Constitution and for democracy would condemn this sorry excuse for a decision as arbitrary and undemocratic. The states should remember that there would not even be a Supreme Court, if they had not agreed to create it in the Constitution, and that the Court has no way to enforce any of its decisions. It is THE STATES AND THEIR PEOPLE--and NOT the Supreme Court--who have the final say about what the Constitution means.

  4. #1404
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,929

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    In case you misread or misunderstood what I wrote I will say it again for you: I don't accept the slippery slope arguments which are very common in SCOTUS dissents. They rarely ever turn out to be the case. Most often they are just vitriolic rants from the losing side. The most recent tantrums and illogical arguments from this week are a perfect example.
    I don't want to shock you but you're quite easy to understand. Not at all complex. Evasive, but not complex.
    Better never than late.

  5. #1405
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I give that peevish bleat all the weight it deserves. As usual, all you have to offer is uninformed prattle. You don't know the first thing about the legal reasoning of the dissenting opinions. I doubt you understand the substantive due process theory this result-driven decision was based on about any better than you understand the theory of relativity. You have no idea why substantive due process has been so harshly criticized--and with good reason--for so many decades, and apparently you don't care.

    Nor do you care, evidently, that Obergefell subverts democracy, threatens religious freedom, and makes a mockery of the rule of law. This was nothing but judicial fiat, and as an unconstitutional dictate it deserves no one's respect. Even a homosexual with a modicum of respect for the Constitution and for democracy would condemn this sorry excuse for a decision as arbitrary and undemocratic. The states should remember that there would not even be a Supreme Court, if they had not agreed to create it in the Constitution, and that the Court has no way to enforce any of its decisions. It is THE STATES AND THEIR PEOPLE--and NOT the Supreme Court--who have the final say about what the Constitution means.
    Wrong. Simply Wrong. I understand perfectly the Obergefell opinion and the dissent. I spent three years in Law School and have been a practicing attorney for over 25 years...so I think I know how to read an opinion.

    Where your entire premise is flawed is in the very basic understanding of the Constitution. The Constitution was created will the principle idea that there are certain fundamental/inalienable rights that are not to be subject to the whim of the majority, i.e., a popular vote. So the Obergefell decision is completely in line with the Constitution (you would know that if you understood how the Constitution works).

    And your conclusion is completely wrong again. It is not the "STATES AND THEIR PEOPLE" that have the final say about what the Constitution means.....it actually IS the Supreme Court. The state/people remedy if they disagree with the Supreme Court is to pass a Constitutional Amendment. That is how our system is set up (you might understand that if you understood how the Constitution works).

  6. #1406
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I don't want to shock you but you're quite easy to understand. Not at all complex. Evasive, but not complex.
    Then I don't know how you misunderstood. Do you care to offer an opinion as to what slippery slope we are headed down?

  7. #1407
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    LOL

    So all these societal changes aren't changes? Man, denial is alive and well in the liberal/progressive world. Explains much.
    I mean, really, what has changed? You can't say gay marriage doesn't affect anyone other than the couple AND sociaty as a hole has changed. Gay marriage has to affect other people in order for sociatyou to be changed by it.

    Anyway the Supreme Court forcing a change in law doesn't mean sociaty has move one ounce on the issue.

  8. #1408
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,178

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    I just found out that a friend of mine who is transgender and a lesbian just got engaged. Thanks to this ruling. WOOT!

    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #1409
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,000

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I have to say that his ruling will not change one relationship in America. Marriage isn't about government permission, it's about who you love and want to spend a life with. The government telling you it's ok is just a side show. Now gays get to have government sanctions when they get divorced just like everyone else in the country. Good luck with that. I think it's a states rights issue but our values are so corrupt it was just a matter of time anyway even on the state level.
    Well, there IS a difference between living with someone and being married under the law. Ask any 25 year old guy, many of whom aren't ready to commit. Under the law, married people become one, in a way. Together they pay a lower income tax rate than if they are single. One can represent the other when he becomes incapacitated. They can share insurance premiums. And so on.

    In the words of the mother at the end of the movie "Blast From the Past": "No, Calvin. It's NOT the same!"
    ________________________________

  10. #1410
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,912

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    They were men who were given the information from God.
    That is your belief. There is no evidence of this, no proof. You have to have faith in that fact. I don't, as many others don't.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •