Page 137 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1361
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you don't like rules within a country, why would you not seek to change them? If you don't like the way people are treated within a country, why would you not seek to change that? That is the entire reason our country exists, because some people did not like something about the country and sought to change it. That doesn't mean that change cannot be an advancement for the country as well.
    Still subjective. Remember morality is subjective, so any kind of change in peoples treatment is also subjective.

  2. #1362
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I have no idea what you are referring to. Putting off marriage until they are mature enough, but not putting off children for the same reason?

    Putting off sex until marriage? Where is that coming from? That ship, for the most part, sailed about 50 years ago.
    Some people aren't putting off either sex or marriage, but others are. And we are seeing fewer teens getting pregnant, which leads to more mature decisions about marriage and raising those children even when they are from an unplanned pregnancy.

    I don't have any issue with a declining marriage rate overall. I would prefer people think about their own situations and relationship prior to entering into marriage so that they aren't getting divorces after children are born, so that hopefully more children are planned for, rather than just random occurrences because they felt they could have unprotected sex.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1363
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,861

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I would say that ship didn't really ever exist in the first place. It was at best a ship on shore with nothing but the frame built.
    LOL. I would say you're probably right.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  4. #1364
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Still subjective. Remember morality is subjective, so any kind of change in peoples treatment is also subjective.
    Yes. And your point?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #1365
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes. And your point?
    That your argument is mounted on subjectivity by your own admission.

  6. #1366
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you don't like rules within a country, why would you not seek to change them? If you don't like the way people are treated within a country, why would you not seek to change that? That is the entire reason our country exists, because some people did not like something about the country and sought to change it. That doesn't mean that change cannot be an advancement for the country as well.
    Uh huh.
    And I'm saying those beliefs may be sincerely held by some but used by others for their own reasons.
    You have to know enough about the person in order to judge their intentions.

    By way of example, after the Ferguson shooting there were any number of well-funded infiltrators who went there to stir the pot and they did ... they stood out visibly in the crowds ... do you think they were there out of great concern? ... Do you think they were sent there by wealthy people out of great concern?
    Better never than late.

  7. #1367
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That your argument is mounted on subjectivity by your own admission.
    It is an argument that began with subjectivity, advancement in society vs fundamental changes to the society. That is all subjective. It is subjective as to whether or not we should seek those changes or advancements as a society. This is all then generally decided on by the society as a whole. Either people allow the advancements, changes to occur, even if there is some resistance, or they consistently resist such changes, with possibly a few trying to fight to implement those changes. Either way, it would depend on the subjective views of the society.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #1368
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,861

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Some people aren't putting off either sex or marriage, but others are. And we are seeing fewer teens getting pregnant, which leads to more mature decisions about marriage and raising those children even when they are from an unplanned pregnancy.

    I don't have any issue with a declining marriage rate overall. I would prefer people think about their own situations and relationship prior to entering into marriage so that they aren't getting divorces after children are born, so that hopefully more children are planned for, rather than just random occurrences because they felt they could have unprotected sex.
    Unplanned pregnancy? I'm not sure where you get your information, but couples living together and having children is becoming the norm. Look at Hollywood. How many "stars" are having children with their mates, without getting married?

    Something like 70% of children born in some "communities" are born to single parents. These aren't "unplanned" as you suggest.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  9. #1369
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Unplanned pregnancy? I'm not sure where you get your information, but couples living together and having children is becoming the norm. Look at Hollywood. How many "stars" are having children with their mates, without getting married?

    Something like 70% of children born in some "communities" are born to single parents. These aren't "unplanned" as you suggest.
    Having a child out of wedlock does not mean the child wasn't planned for. There is a difference between the two, at least now.

    Depending on the community, since I have no idea which specific communities you are talking about, many of those children may or may not be planned for. Some are only planned for by one person within the relationship. Others are not planned for at all. Some are completely planned for, even if the person is considered a "single parent".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1370
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    12-03-16 @ 04:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    52,569

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It is an argument that began with subjectivity, advancement in society vs fundamental changes to the society. That is all subjective. It is subjective as to whether or not we should seek those changes or advancements as a society. This is all then generally decided on by the society as a whole. Either people allow the advancements, changes to occur, even if there is some resistance, or they consistently resist such changes, with possibly a few trying to fight to implement those changes. Either way, it would depend on the subjective views of the society.
    You can get a general idea of how much something changed culture, but yes, it's subjective when making a judgment on how much it changed culture or not. Saying that though, it would probably be pretty hard to argue certain things didn't fundamentally change the culture of the country.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •