Page 107 of 193 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1061
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,035

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Uh, no. I'd consider myself conservative in a lot of ways. I didn't lose anything today.

    You must confuse "conservative" with "religious". They aren't the same thing. And remember, 7 short years ago, Barack Obama believed marriage was between a man and a woman. He probably still does, but he's no fool. He won't get away with making that statement anymore.
    I meant social conservatism.

  2. #1062
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,323

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Geezus, thanks for calling me a paranoid conservative. I'm not, and that's pretty goddamn rude.
    I am sorry, but the only people who seem to bring up the "churches will be required to marry same sex couples" argument are those who are trying to fear monger. I just do not see any evidence in reality to support that idea. Not to mimic Voltaire, but I would die to defend the right of a church to not perform same sex marriages. The 1st Amendment is that important to me. I think most Americans feel the same.

  3. #1063
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,329

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    The court did not deny religious freedom. They banned states from discriminating against consenting adults who wish to marry.
    please read the dissent.

    "The majority graciously suggests that religious believers may continue to 'advocate' and 'teach' their views of marriage," writes Roberts. "The First Amendment guarantees, however, the freedom to 'exercise' religion. Ominously, that is not a word the majority uses."

    funny how that is. ol yes there will be lawsuits and millions of dollars spent to reinforce the 1st amendment that already exists.
    even the prosecutor for the government defending the case said that there would be issues.

    church and other religious organizations can be sued for discrimination and public accommodation clauses.
    on top of that under hate speech laws by saying marriage is between a man and a women they could easily lose their tax exempt status.

    the fight is not over and the militant activist won't stop.

  4. #1064
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,329

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I am sorry, but the only people who seem to bring up the "churches will be required to marry same sex couples" argument are those who are trying to fear monger. I just do not see any evidence in reality to support that idea. Not to mimic Voltaire, but I would die to defend the right of a church to not perform same sex marriages. The 1st Amendment is that important to me. I think most Americans feel the same.
    nope not fear mongering at all. it is just a matter of time.

  5. #1065
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverTrumpOrClinton tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,335

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you should get use to it seel alito's dissent that I posted.

    Alito notes:


    The majority attempts, toward the end of its opinion, to reassure those who oppose same-sex marriage that their rights of conscience will be protected. We will soon see whether this proves to be true. I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.


    they already do this now.
    Apparently you're paranoid if you believe such a thing, which is why these threads always turn to the crap this one has. You can't even make a vague comment based on nothing but an opinion on the complexity of the ways our courts work and our legal system without being attacked.

    Alito expressed concern (he's a paranoid conservative) based on his knowledge of the Constitution (which the rest of us don't have) and the complexity of our legal system. I'm not nave enough to think it won't get challenged, be it under the name of discrimination or anything. Unless you're cheering in the streets waiving rainbow flags you're labeled and attacked even if you don't give a flying **** who married who. Now churches are being called "retards". The emotions are in overdrive. I'm sick of seeing the word "hater" and "bigot" and I'm not even opposed to SSM (or any other marriage for that matter).

    Did all of these people call Barack Obama a hater and a bigot as they were casting their votes for him in 2008? That's something I would bet my mortgage payment on didn't happen.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #1066
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,323

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    nope your distortion of the argument is noted.

    nothing in there protects church or pastors from lawsuits.

    as stated before pastors act in the power of the state to sign marriage licenses. it would be very easy for them to be sued for not marrying a gay couple.
    churches offer their buildings to all sorts of outside events from garage sales to bake sales etc for different things. marriages and funerals.
    again technically all churches are open to anyone that wants to enter. they can easily be sued under public accomidation laws.

    nothing in the ruling protect freedom of religion. it will have to work it's way through the court system.
    You are entitled to your opinion. I think you are wrong, but you are free to believe what you want. The majority made it clear where they stand. Even if something "winds it way through the court system" we all know how it will end up when it reaches SCOTUS. This is a court that has handed down the Hobby Lobby case for Christ's sakes!

  7. #1067
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, maybe.


    "Movements" don't stop moving just because they achieved their primary goal; they never say "Ok, we won, we're good now. Go home and be happy." Heh, no. They get in the habit of pushing for things (and some people get in the habit of making a comfy living by being a vocal spokesperson of the movement, ahem) so they tend to find more things to pitch a bitch fit about and continue generating news and consuming bandwidth for at least another generation. :


    Eh, we'll see...
    well sure, but they tend to be ignored. No one likes the "feminazis" for instance.

    The only rational concern churches can have is losing tax exempt status - as the 1981 ruling proclaimed, if the southern churches persisted in racial discrimination. They can choose to give up this status and still discriminate to their withered hearts' content.

  8. #1068
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,038

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't remember saying that churches have been forced to adopt any religious beliefs. Where did I say that?
    Why would churches be required/forced to marry people they don't want to marry? That by definition would requires them to accept homosexuality as something other than a sin which they are told to not commit. First amendment protections would apply like they did in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #1069
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,096

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Isn't it weird that you can consider expanding the privileges and rights of other citizens to be tyranny?
    Oh, you are so close to catching on! But, let me brake it down for you, since you are confused, which is a key to how it all works.

    Now, I don't actually don't consider expanding rights to be tyranny. In fact, I consider the government taking power that it is not allowed or granted to have by the Constitution to be a form of tyranny. The throwing of the bone to force gay marriage on the states seems like a freedom to the easily deceived. Helps when there are so many that are willing to swallow that bone.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #1070
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,227

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Enjoy your witch hunt.


    I'll be over at the Tiki bar drinking margaritas and Belgian ale.
    ahaha right, wanting the *same* equal protection in employment and housing rights as race, gender, religion, pregnancy status, and a plethora of other *lifestyle choices* is equivalent to a witch hunt. Or is it that someone asked you a question

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •