Page 103 of 193 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1930

Thread: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

  1. #1021
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,340

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    interracial couples were not as militant as these gay activists are. they are much more sue happy than the before.
    they will not hesitate to file a lawsuit against a pastor or a church citing discrimination for not allowing them to marry but allowing other couples to.
    Did you read the ruling at all?

    “Finally, it must be emphasized that religions, and those who adhere to religious doctrines, may continue to advocate with utmost, sincere conviction that, by divine precepts, same-sex marriage should not be condoned. The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths, and to their own deep aspirations to continue the family structure they have long revered.”

    That is the majority opinion, not the dissent. The very ruling that gave same sex couples the right to marry, is now also the precedent that makes as you put it "sue happy militant gay activists" waging any sort of court battle against a church for refusing to marry them a virtual impossibility. It is there in black and white. A religious organization cannot be sued for refusing to marry same sex couples because they are protected by the 1st amendment. That is the law, as was ruled today, as incontrovertible as a right to same sex couples to marry before the state.

  2. #1022
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,446

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Heterosexual couples can't sue a church for not marrying them. Same sex couples will not be able to sue either. No lawsuits here sorry. Churches need not marry anyone for whatever reason.
    *sigh*

    just because you say so is idiotic.

    pastors are authorities in the state to conduct a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license. they technically could be forced to do so.
    most church open their doors to people outside the church for weddings and such. most will stop doing this as a court (and they have) can cite public accommodation
    and force the church to allow gay marriage.

    religious schools and other religious organizations are now at risk for losing tax exempt status for citing that they believe marriage is between a man and a women.

    no these militant activist as soon as they can will have lawsuits against pastors and church's not allowing gays to use their buildings and for pastors not marrying them.

  3. #1023
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    46,077

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    *sigh*

    just because you say so is idiotic.

    pastors are authorities in the state to conduct a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license. they technically could be forced to do so.
    Cite the statute that says this.

    most church open their doors to people outside the church for weddings and such. most will stop doing this as a court (and they have) can cite public accommodation
    and force the church to allow gay marriage.
    Public accommodation laws do not apply to churches in any state.

    religious schools and other religious organizations are now at risk for losing tax exempt status for citing that they believe marriage is between a man and a women.
    Absurd. There are tax-exempt religious schools out there telling kids the earth is 6000 years old.

    no these militant activist as soon as they can will have lawsuits against pastors and church's not allowing gays to use their buildings and for pastors not marrying them.
    Soon as they can would be today. Let's make a bet.

    In what timeframe do you think a successful lawsuit will occur? How large of a forum donation do you wish to wager?
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-26-15 at 10:53 PM.

  4. #1024
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    40,372

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    as an adult yes, but religious condemnation has often led to suicide of closeted teenagers surrounded by that mentality.
    Yes, that would be the disgusting part of religion--imposing on people guilt simply for being different.

  5. #1025
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    11-11-16 @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,120

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    *sigh*

    just because you say so is idiotic.

    pastors are authorities in the state to conduct a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license. they technically could be forced to do so.
    most church open their doors to people outside the church for weddings and such. most will stop doing this as a court (and they have) can cite public accommodation
    and force the church to allow gay marriage.

    religious schools and other religious organizations are now at risk for losing tax exempt status for citing that they believe marriage is between a man and a women.

    no these militant activist as soon as they can will have lawsuits against pastors and church's not allowing gays to use their buildings and for pastors not marrying them.
    Fine you have the right not to believe me. The Catholic church for years has refused to marry couples who will not raise the children to be Catholic. They refuse couples who will not state they will have children. The list is long. If your relationship in someway does not hold up to their doctrine the church can refuse and no one can sue them. But please exercise your choice not to believe me. It is okay.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  6. #1026
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,340

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    *sigh*

    just because you say so is idiotic.

    pastors are authorities in the state to conduct a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license. they technically could be forced to do so.
    most church open their doors to people outside the church for weddings and such. most will stop doing this as a court (and they have) can cite public accommodation
    and force the church to allow gay marriage.

    religious schools and other religious organizations are now at risk for losing tax exempt status for citing that they believe marriage is between a man and a women.

    no these militant activist as soon as they can will have lawsuits against pastors and church's not allowing gays to use their buildings and for pastors not marrying them.
    You are moving the goals posts. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that a church will be forced to marry same sex couples, or even successfully sued for it. However, a college or adoption agency is not an inherently religious organization and those situations could potentially be much more complicated. Also, a business which offers a venue for weddings could be required by localities to host same sex weddings under public accommodation laws but that varies significantly depending on the state and area. It is really tough to say how those will work out, but I imagine there will be a push for same sex couples to simply publicize such businesses so people can vote with their wallets and choose not to do business with them of their own accord rather than to bring the state into it by suing.

  7. #1027
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,446

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Did you read the ruling at all?

    “Finally, it must be emphasized that religions, and those who adhere to religious doctrines, may continue to advocate with utmost, sincere conviction that, by divine precepts, same-sex marriage should not be condoned. The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths, and to their own deep aspirations to continue the family structure they have long revered.”
    "The majority graciously suggests that religious believers may continue to 'advocate' and 'teach' their views of marriage," writes Roberts. "The First Amendment guarantees, however, the freedom to 'exercise' religion. Ominously, that is not a word the majority uses."

    Roberts looks ahead to the likelihood of future conflicts between gay rights and religious rights, such as the tax status of conservative Christian colleges. He notes:


    Hard questions arise when people of faith exercise religion in ways that may be seen to conflict with the new right to same-sex marriage—when, for example, a religious college provides married student housing only to opposite-sex married couples, or a religious adoption agency declines to place children with same-sex married couples. Indeed, the Solicitor General candidly acknowledged that the tax exemptions of some religious institutions would be in question if they opposed same-sex marriage.

    There is little doubt that these and similar questions will soon be before this Court. Unfortunately, people of faith can take no comfort in the treatment they receive from the majority today.

    Alito notes:


    The majority attempts, toward the end of its opinion, to reassure those who oppose same-sex marriage that their rights of conscience will be protected. We will soon see whether this proves to be true. I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.

    he is right because that happens now before that decision.

    That is the majority opinion, not the dissent. The very ruling that gave same sex couples the right to marry, is now also the precedent that makes as you put it "sue happy militant gay activists" waging any sort of court battle against a church for refusing to marry them a virtual impossibility. It is there in black and white. A religious organization cannot be sued for refusing to marry same sex couples because they are protected by the 1st amendment. That is the law, as was ruled today, as incontrovertible as a right to same sex couples to marry before the state.
    read the dissent that railed on that language used. there is nothing there that says they cannot sue. these militant activist will sue and press more and more lawsuits.

    it isn't impossible. they can file whatever lawsuit they want.
    we will see.

  8. #1028
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,245

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    *sigh*

    just because you say so is idiotic.

    pastors are authorities in the state to conduct a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license. they technically could be forced to do so.
    most church open their doors to people outside the church for weddings and such. most will stop doing this as a court (and they have) can cite public accommodation
    and force the church to allow gay marriage.

    religious schools and other religious organizations are now at risk for losing tax exempt status for citing that they believe marriage is between a man and a women.

    no these militant activist as soon as they can will have lawsuits against pastors and church's not allowing gays to use their buildings and for pastors not marrying them.
    So their bigotry well be exposed? And I really have no problem with that

  9. #1029
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yep, but we're not talking about "the federal government" when we refer to the states. Are we?
    According to the Supreme Court, we are.


    Terrible decision made by the men of its time, eventually it was overturned... just like the bans on gay marriage were today.
    If you only care about gay marriage being forced on the States, and you don't give a crap that the federal just took power that it is not granted by the Constitution, it's just dandy. If you are not all that enamored with tyranny and going further down that road than ever before, not so much.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #1030
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,923

    Re: Breaking: US S.Ct. Rules Same Sex Marriage Constitutionally Protected[W:320]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    *sigh*

    just because you say so is idiotic.

    pastors are authorities in the state to conduct a marriage ceremony and sign the marriage license. they technically could be forced to do so.
    most church open their doors to people outside the church for weddings and such. most will stop doing this as a court (and they have) can cite public accommodation
    and force the church to allow gay marriage.

    religious schools and other religious organizations are now at risk for losing tax exempt status for citing that they believe marriage is between a man and a women.

    no these militant activist as soon as they can will have lawsuits against pastors and church's not allowing gays to use their buildings and for pastors not marrying them.
    Signing the marriage license itself is separate from the actual marriage. And really, the most the state could do is simply remove the ability of pastors/clergy to sign marriage licenses, which hurts the state (financially) more than it does anything else.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •