Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72

Thread: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

  1. #41
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    True. If immigration slows down or stops, this could ultimately wind up being a non-issue.

    Such a state of will only create different problems, however- namely in that we will be in exactly the same "population decline" situation currently being faced by Western Europe and Japan.



    Also true. However, as I said, I've got no problem with "sharing."

    What I have a problem with is the fact that we, as a people, seem to be more or less simply "giving up" and letting another group take over for us. At best, that's going to cause some problems. At worst, they might very well be rather severe.
    what's with all this "group" talk? I thought conservatives see everyone as individuals?

  2. #42
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!
    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    33,061
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    We founded it, we developed it, and we've run it and made up the majority of the population for the last 200 years. For all intents and purposes, it's "our" country, built in our own image.
    No. Not unless you think a 2nd generation immigrant from western Europe has more claim to the US than a black person whose family has been there for hundreds of years, or a 5th generation Japanese-American, simply because they happen to be white.
    "To waste, to destroy, our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by rights to hand down to them."~ Theodore Roosevelt (Message to Congress, Dec. 3, 1907)

  3. #43
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,575

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Also true. However, as I said, I've got no problem with "sharing."

    What I have a problem with is the fact that we, as a people, seem to be more or less simply "giving up" and letting another group take over for us. At best, that's going to cause some problems. At worst, they might very well be rather severe.
    Okay, but what precisely is the cost of that? Let's say the future majority of the United States is no longer European Caucasian, but Hispanic, black or Inuit. What price do we as Caucasians pay for that?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 06-27-15 at 11:50 AM.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,934

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Okay, but what precisely is the cost of that? Let's say the future majority of the United States is no longer European Caucasian, but Hispanic, black or Inuit. What price do we as Caucasians pay for that?
    Why should they pay a price ?

    I don't care what the color of a Babies skin in. I think all Babies are adorable. What matters is what that baby is going to grow into. Is he going to be able to graduate and go to college ? Is there going to be a strong economy so he can go out and support himself and his family ??

    The Democrats should stop being so concerned with the color of people's skin and focus on building a better America that includes offering up some smeblence of a future for all of our new humans.
    " If no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else ? "
    Ronald Reagan

  5. #45
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,575

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Why should they pay a price ?

    I don't care what the color of a Babies skin in. I think all Babies are adorable. What matters is what that baby is going to grow into. Is he going to be able to graduate and go to college ? Is there going to be a strong economy so he can go out and support himself and his family ??

    The Democrats should stop being so concerned with the color of people's skin and focus on building a better America that includes offering up some smeblence of a future for all of our new humans.
    Maybe you should consider the context of the discussion between me and Gathomas.

  6. #46
    Democratic Socialist
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,546

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    We founded it, we developed it, and we've run it and made up the majority of the population for the last 200 years. For all intents and purposes, it's "our" country, built in our own image.

    That's not to say that we cannot, or should not, "share" it with those we are able to do so, or that it should not change in some regards to adapt to new arrivals (just as they should change to adapt to it). However, there's a fine line between "sharing," and simply handing the whole thing over on a silver platter.

    If we're not careful, we're going to wind up doing the latter. It has, as I've already pointed out, happened before.
    I'm curious, have you traced your ancestry back and found that your specific bloodline helped found America and build it up through generations? Or did your family come over on a boat sometime in the 20th century? If the latter is the case, why does being white entitle you to the accomplishments of other whites?

    Also, how many blacks are descendents of slaves in America? The slaves collectively did billions of hours of really crappy work to help build America. Does that not qualify? Their descendents at least have a direct relationship to founding America and fueling its progress and prosperity.

    What about the cheap migrant labor that has built countless large scale projects in America for pennies? What about all the non whites that played a role? It wasn't just whites doing things.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Okay, but what precisely is the cost of that? Let's say the future majority of the United States is no longer European Caucasian, but Hispanic, black or Inuit. What price do we as Caucasians pay for that?
    As I pointed out to Visbek, you can't expect to have a transition like that happen without social upheaval. You can't upend more than 200 years of established ethnic and sociocultural order without collateral damage.

    There are already more race-baiting agitators out there than you can shake a stick at, after all, who - for various ideological reasons - would like nothing better than to put whitey "in his place" if the opportunity were to present itself. I fully expect them to make use of their new found electoral power to do so if current trends continue, and the white vote declines to the point of irrelevancy.

    Now, will that be "the end of the world as we know it?" In all likelihood, no. However, it probably will make for a less than ideal couple of decades or centuries for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

    Beyond the realm of the personal, on the other hand? Well... As much as I hate to say it, where my own ideology is concerned, these developments might not actually be such a bad turn in the grand scheme of things. While Latinos tend to be a bit more Left-leaning on the economic front, they are also more religious than whites on average, more culturally conservative, and carry a substantially better work ethic and sense of community with them.

    If "white" culture is truly so rotten as to be completely unsalvageable, I frankly wouldn't mind Latinos being the ones to replace us. Things could be a lot worse.

    Make no mistake, however. It's still problematic and a damn shame all the same. We never should have allowed ourselves to fall this far to begin with.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 06-27-15 at 01:23 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,099

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Among college educated white women....
    College educated white women ≠ all white women.

    Meanwhile, the evidence shows quite clearly that whites are not "dying off."


    Is there any reason I shouldn't be? I mean... Let's not quibble around reality here. Pragmatically speaking, power matters. If we have less, that simply means someone else has more.
    Yes, you should not be worried, because:

    1) No one controls demographics.
    2) As ethnic groups get larger, it is perfectly natural for them to demand more representation and political influence.
    3) There is plenty of room for common ground. E.g. we all want a better economy, we all want to be safe. Many people, of all ethnic groups, want justice for everyone.

    By the way, wasn't it the conservatives bashing liberals for indulging in identity politics for so many years? I'm losing track.


    In case you haven't noticed, quite a few of the (currently) minority groups in this country, and their political agenda setters, would like absolutely nothing better than to use any potential reversal of such power to make whites "pay"....
    There's a handful of African-American extremists who are interested in monetary restitution for slavery; I see little support for this, even in the black community.

    I see no indication that Hispanics or Chinese or Irish or Italians plan to extract a pound of flesh from "The Whites" for past injustices.


    This isn't a "melting pot." Increasingly, it is becoming a country of racial "tribes," constantly in conflict with one another. It exists as such primarily because the political powers that be benefit from encouraging such conflict.
    So what?

    There is no obligation for any immigrants to assimilate to the existing culture. All they have to do is respect our political institutions and processes, and it seems like they do a decent job of that so far.

    Nor is this any different than in the past. Various groups assimilate to various degrees. E.g. American Jews range from those who are highly assimilated, to those who live in Kiryas Joel -- where they refuse to adopt to most American norms, and arguably try to subvert the local political process to their own ends. Speaking of, are YOU going to tell the Hasidic Orthodox Jews of Kiryas Joel that they should forsake their religious beliefs because they live in America? Good luck with that one....


    In grand total, Irish and Italians only make up 15%-20% of the "white" US population.... They really had no choice but to assimilate as such.
    Odd that you say that, because many of those European groups were seen, at the time, as an existential threat to America. Many whites did not want them to assimilate; they didn't want them in the country at all.

    That said, I hardly see it as a good thing for an ethnic group to be forced to assimilate. A community should not be forced to give up their culture and values, just because it makes a bunch of WASPS all nervous.


    Latinos are set to make up 30% to 40% of the total population all by themselves by 2050. They're all arriving at roughly the same time as well, and have cultures and languages that are all largely homogeneous with one another.
    I don't see much difference between Irish and Hispanic patterns of immigration. The numbers were consistently around 50,000 per year for nearly 100 years, with a big spike between 1843 and 1855:



    Nor are Hispanics a monolithic block. Mexicans, Hondurans, Nicaraguans, Colombians, they are all distinct groups. Even within those nationalities are different ethnic groups, different political views, and so on.


    Make no mistake. The primary baseline of that culture is undeniably English Protestant, as they were the original majority influence. However, it has borrowed elements from all of the peoples of various different cultures it has assimilated - primarily food and holidays. If we could somehow pull off a similar trick with non-Europeans, that would be awesome, IMO.
    So your idea of an "awesome" triumph of American culture is... Chipotle?

    Screw that. Citizens have every right to adhere to their old cultures; to generate new cultural relationships; to refuse to culturally assimilate, if they so choose. America is not about everyone becoming white, it is about freedom and liberty.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,099

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    As I pointed out to Visbek, you can't expect to have a transition like that happen without social upheaval. You can't upend more than 200 years of established ethnic and sociocultural order without collateral damage.
    News flash! Our nation has had plenty of social upheaval that had nothing to do with demographics. E.g. the social upheaval of the 1960s was disruptive, far more so than any waves of immigration (albeit much shorter), and we came out OK.


    There are already more race-baiting agitators out there than you can shake a stick at, after all, who - for various ideological reasons - would like nothing better than to put whitey "in his place"....
    lol

    So because you don't like Al Sharpton, everyone who isn't white should stop having kids? Does that mean that if I don't like Mike Huckabee, we should tell all evangelical Christians to start using birth control?


    Now, will that be "the end of the world as we know it?" In all likelihood, no. However, it probably will make for a less than ideal couple of decades or centuries for my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.



    If "white" culture is truly so rotten as to be completely unsalvageable, I frankly wouldn't mind Latinos being the ones to replace us. Things could be a lot worse.

    Make no mistake, however. It's still problematic and a damn shame all the same. We never should have allowed ourselves to fall this far to begin with.
    Riiiight. When in doubt, bash a social change you happen to dislike with a bit of declinism.

    I mean, really. Does that ever work? Has anyone said "wow, if whites don't have more kids soon, we'll be outnumbered. Honey, get rid of the condoms!"

  10. #50
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    'Racial and ethnic minorities now surpass non-Hispanic whites as the largest group of American children under 5 years old, the Census Bureau said Thursday.

    The reversal in 2014 marked a milestone in a trend toward a more diverse U.S. that's projected to continue. Births outnumbered deaths for all ethnic and racial groups last year except for non-Hispanic whites, the new Census data show. A report earlier this year projected that by 2044, today's majority white population will be the minority.'


    The Majority of American Babies Are Now Minorities - Bloomberg Business



    Excellent.

    I am as WASP as it gets and I think it will be great for America to truly be a melting pot.
    That's a statement that negates itself, doesn't it?

    And America has always been a melting pot, from the very beginning. Some additions refuse to melt these days.
    Roberts wrote: "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. ... But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •