Page 40 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1534

Thread: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

  1. #391
    Guru
    mmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    is everything
    Last Seen
    12-05-16 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,637

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I did not make the original comment bringing that up, read the history again or admit you should not have jumped in.
    I don't need to read it again. The original comment was:

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    you are arguing that Congress intended a result, on one of the biggest provisions in the bill, that received no debate in Congress
    You mistakenly (and quite foolishly, imo) decided that "biggest" referred to the number of pages. The reference is to importance.

    >>Minor, LOL.

    Minor enough for the laugh to be on you, I'd say. 6-3. Ya can't win 'em all.

    >>This is what happens when Congress passes such a huge law there ends up a problem it expects the Supreme Court to edit for them.

    These things happen. Even Senators and Reps aren't perfect.

    >>Again, not minor. A real change on what is a State and why it now means much more.

    Well, three justices agree with you. Six agree with me. C'est la guerre.

    >>Now the term "State" has an expanded definition.

    Where do you get that? From the majority opinion?
    "I loved him. You loved him. What good have we done him? Love. Look at yourself. They have a name for faces like that." Anna Schmidt, in The Third Man Anna walks away

  2. #392
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,029

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crow View Post
    They never read it even after it passed, They didn't have to.. they just invested their time defending it and they continued doing it today.
    Get out of the basement and stop drinking the kool aid.
    By the way.. the Senate and the House were both ruled by the left at that time.
    Obama Care is owned by the Left since not a single republican in Wash. voted for it.

    The ACA would've been repealed at least 60x if the left didn't defend it. So I think they kinda know they "own" it.


    But I adore how those silly republicans who try to take credit for the ACA in their own states and districts in order to get elected, don't you? .....



    "....But in the same op-ed, [Scott] Walker did something odd: He bragged about how he used the Obamacare subsidies now on trial to offer more health coverage to low-income Wisconsin residents.

    “Wisconsin is the only state that didn’t accept the Medicaid expansion funds and that has no gap in coverage, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation,” Walker wrote. ”For the first time in state history, everyone living in poverty has access to coverage.”

    How did Walker achieve this expanded coverage where other governors who turned down the Medicaid expansion failed? Short answer: Obamacare. Slightly longer answer: Obamacare subsidies and Wisconsin’s unusually generous existing health law...."

    Scott Walker won't fix Obamacare, but he will take credit for it | MSNBC

    Hey, that GOP Obamacare alternative sure looks a lot like Obamacare Hot Air


    The SCOTUS literally saved their asses because if they had ruled the other way, it would've been the demise of the Republican party.
    Last edited by Moot; 06-25-15 at 07:59 PM.

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Canada scores significantly higher than we do on the Economic Freedom Index, they have a lower rate of single-motherhood, their lower corporate tax rate raises more revenue than ours, and as a result their middle class is richer.



    ..... that's nice. I thought that once too. Then we had the 2012 election and I started paying more attention to who was driving American culture, the American future, etc.

    Americans are whiny, litigious, narcissists still coasting off of the accomplishments of the WWII generation. We lack self-discipline and self-control.

    Because we are whiny narcissists, we are attracted to whiny narcissists. We put one in the White House two elections running because he talked pretty to us, and the guy in second place in New Hampshire for the GOP right now is a reality TV star who's schtick is that he's good at being an idiot in public without experiencing the kind of personal shame that would constrain others. We've demanded that our politicians Tell Us About The Rabbits so much that we took the worlds' engine house and turned it into history's largest liability.

    We haven't been able to "win" a war since the 1940's because we get bored and because it's hard, and we don't do "hard" anymore. What we "do" - what we "specialize" in "doing" - now as an industrial base is finding new ways to like each others' funny cat pictures on the internet. The Middle East, North Africa, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia are on fire and what America is spending her time on is whether or not people who fly flags are mean and dudes who want to touch each others' penises before cutting them off. Because all that other stuff is hard, and we don't do "hard" anymore. We prefer to sue people who expect us to do hard, or maybe demand a handout for failing to do hard.

    We forgot how to America and in the next couple of decades reality is going to **** us hard. It's okay. I and my children will be part of the ruling class in the dilapidated, sad, failed little angry self-absorbed society who shares a name with America. And those who suffer? I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh, because they will have gotten exactly what they voted for.

    Quit your bellyaching, you sound old.

    First of all, 18 more months and Marco Rubio will be president of the United States. And he'll be the greatest president since Ronald Reagan.

    I believe that the hand of divine providence has always guided America. When we were a colony in the woods, we had perhaps the greatest group of political minds in the history of the world to that point and since.... all miraculously gathered up in one spot.... our founding fathers. Right when we needed them.

    When we needed a Lincoln, we had a Lincoln.

    When we needed an FDR to get us through World War 2, we had an FDR.

    When we needed a Ronald Reagan to get us out of the doldrums of the 70's, we had a Ronald Reagan.

    America will be fine. In fact, it's never been better. We smashed and owned the Soviets in the Cold War, leaving us the only superpower in the world. We dominate the world's high tech industry, the banking and finance industry, the media, etc. We are utterly and completely dominant on the world stage in a way that no nation has ever been in the history of the world. In fact, you're living in the golden age of the American Era. Pax Americana, I believe they call it.

    The debt is high, so what? Name one country that doesn't have a high national debt. Look at what's going on in the EU right now with Greece. The whole thing looks ready to implode. China? Would you trade places with China? I sure as hell wouldn't. China has a whole host of problems we can't even begin to discuss or it would take up an entire page.

    And in 18 months, the Obama experiment will end, and the country will vote in a CONSERVATIVE who will be our next Reagan.

  4. #394
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,607

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    How is it you came by this knowledge? A careful and thorough sociological analysis?
    Actually yes. Well, a series of careful and thorough sociological analyses.

    There's no doubt that dropping out of school is a big problem getting ahead. But if you have a high school diploma and got married before you had kids, yer saying you have a better than even chance to move out of poverty?
    That is correct. A couple of quickly grabbed demonstrations:







    What are the other "decisions" you should get right?
    The biggest one is "Work 40 Hours (or more) a Week" and the second biggest one is "Don't Get Divorced".

    And I don't see how getting married would make such a difference
    That's interesting. You don't see how (for example) slashing housing costs in half can result in increased disposable income?

    Married couples (and especially married men) demonstrate increased productivity, long term planning, and greater academic accomplishment than their single peers. In the United States, having parents who are married reduces a child's likelihood of poverty by 82%

    Yer analysis doesn't strike me as having a lot of validity.
    Evidence from both the Left and the right back me up on this, particularly about marriage, but also more generally about the extent to which poverty is a result of behavior. Among those who finish high school, get married, have children only within a marriage and go to work, the odds of long-term poverty are virtually nil.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  5. #395
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,372
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    No, you say
    And the interstate highway is paid for and owned by Uncle Sam.
    An accurate and irrelevent statement. Congratulations.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    $17,362.54
    Send that to me in a check or Paypal would ya? It's more like, $0, but if you want to give me money I won't say no.


    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    The Internet grew out of federal spending — "a prime example of the importance of government spending to scientific advances and innovation."
    Don't care where it grew from. Irrelevant. We're talking about money, not history.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Auto bailout saved that industry. Federal money has done a lot for driving safety, fuel mileage, and lower levels of pollution.
    It didn't help me, I don't work in the Auto Industry. So are you willing to pay my car payments? No I didn't think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    But it wouldn't be operating without current revenues, some of which are federal.
    It wouldn't be operating if it didn't mandate by LAW people must pay taxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    It should be noted that you pay federal taxes as well. As Colonel Cathcart would say, "It's all part of the contract."
    I don't have a choice but to pay taxes - it's that or go to jail.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    You said yerself that he could go to prison for not paying. That would be a choice.
    And the sky is blue, dogs bark and water is wet.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #396
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,802
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    And you give us yet another reason not to give a Bush a 4th term. Like we needed it.
    There is no voter who would oppose the Repub to protect ACA who would ever have voted for the Repub anyway.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #397
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,425

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    your lack of response is noted.

  8. #398
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,425

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Evidently you missed out on civics class. The Federal Court System is the ultimate arbiters of federal law. They are the only authority in regards to federal law that counts. You may not like that, but that is how it works in the USA. Its pointless to debate a SCOTUS decision, because our opinions are all irrelevant. If you don't like the ACA, then you simply have to support candidates and convince your peers to support candidates that will repeal the law and of course vote in a president that will not veto their repeal. Good luck with that. I think you have about a zero percent chance on that.
    you have yet to prove they are infallible. in fact I think you railed against citizens united and railed against hobby lobby.
    so you evidently only think they are correct when they support your political bias vs the constitution.

    please see the first amendment.

    No they are not irrelevant. they are highly needed in cases of just blatant disrespect not only for the constitution but for the law.
    I do support canadites that are trying to repeal it.

    come 2016 I plan on voting for more people that plan to repeal it.

    no because this country has had it with liberal failure since Obama took office. he will not suffer another democrat to lead this country into
    another 8 years of stagnation and failure. if they do then they deserve all of it.

    PS they SCOTUS is wrong. they got it wrong and they know they got it wrong. Roberts is a hack of a justice and should be disbarred and removed from the bench
    along with all the other traitors on that bench.

  9. #399
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,607

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Quit your bellyaching, you sound old.

    First of all, 18 more months and Marco Rubio will be president of the United States. And he'll be the greatest president since Ronald Reagan.
    Yeah. Because whereas Ronald Reagan barely knew how to run anything, having only been a multi-time governor and involved in national-level politics for decades. Rubio is a first term senator. And the last one of those who we hired to be President worked out just awesome.


    I believe that the hand of divine providence has always guided America
    I believe you need to re-read Jeremiah and Lamentations, and consider what the Divine Hand does to nations who reject Him.

    America will be fine. In fact, it's never been better.
    we have liabilities of over $100 Trillion and we only own $85 Trillion worth of stuff. When was the last time America had a negative net value?

    We smashed and owned the Soviets in the Cold War, leaving us the only superpower in the world.
    Oh yeah, and we're doing awesome at that.

    Wait, wait, wait... no. No, we're not, because it's hard. Instead we are whining about being the only superpower in the world and trying to take our ball and go home.

    We dominate the world's high tech industry
    Yup. We are brilliant at sharing funny pictures of cats and finding ways to sell advertising next to those pictures of cats. I do have to give us that.

    the banking and finance industry, the media, etc.
    Oh goody. Because if there is one thing I really want to brag on, it's American media.

    We are utterly and completely dominant on the world stage in a way that no nation has ever been in the history of the world
    No we aren't. We are absent on the world stage. We aren't interested in the world stage. We think the world stage is annoying, it's a bore, and besides, george bush, like, lied about saddam in order to invade us on 9/11, or something. The Navy is down to the smallest that it's been since World War One, and we're slashing the Air Force, Army, and Marines as well.

    You have to have will to be dominant, and we don't have the will. Take a look at any one of our major opponents across the world and ask yourself between Iran, Russia, and China, which one of these nations' leadership really worries that America might come kick their butt in an expensive, bloody war, if they push us too much?

    In fact, you're living in the golden age of the American Era. Pax Americana, I believe they call it.

    The debt is high, so what? Name one country that doesn't have a high national debt.
    We are 10th on the list of debt to GDP. You want to know who has a lower debt than us? Canada. Want to know who has a debt even lower than theirs? Australia.

    But that's just debt to GDP. Debt to GDP is only the beginning. When you compare our debt to how much we collect in revenue, we're literally right behind Greece. Then when you compare our unfunded liabilities to GDP....

    Look at what's going on in the EU right now with Greece. The whole thing looks ready to implode.
    Yup. See the point immediately above this one.

    China? Would you trade places with China? I sure as hell wouldn't. China has a whole host of problems we can't even begin to discuss or it would take up an entire page.
    true enough.

    But you know who I would trade places with? Canada or Australia. Because they are more conservative than we are.

    And in 18 months, the Obama experiment will end, and the country will vote in a CONSERVATIVE who will be our next Reagan.
    Sure. After all he's got good hair and he talks pretty - obviously he's going to be a brilliant administrator with qualifications like that He'll say the magic words to the Money Tree they keep behind the White House and all of a sudden we'll get 5% growth in GDP, the boomers will discover that they really did save a million dollars a piece for retirement and just forgot to report it, everyone will start marrying their childrens' other parent, and we'll pass entitlement reform allowing for privatized social security accounts to boot. The laws of mathematics will be suspended just for us because we think we're so special.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  10. #400
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,607

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    I have to wonder what the Obama Justice Dept has on Roberts.
    Thanks OCF. I needed that lol today
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •