Page 20 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1534

Thread: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    To crib from Jon Stewart, saying Obamacare is bad because of a broken website is like saying ice cream is bad because you can't find a spoon.
    How was California and Hawaii's websites broken again? Tell Jon Stewart.....I'll let him know when its time to come out of the playpen.

    Oh and if you thinks its just those states.....its not.


    Like last year, others will argue that these rate increases still have to be approved in some of the states. But unlike last year, the carriers now have hard data to show the insurance regulators. Some states will bring political pressure to bear on these increases. But a 35% increase is not suddenly going to become a 5% increase. There is obviously an overall claim cost problem here and regulation can sometimes push it off but it can’t make it go away.

    Others will point out that people only have to switch plans to keep their costs in line since there are some carriers asking for a lot less. That’s right. But the fact that it is the big market share players that are often asking for the big increases says something important about where these cheaper plans will be next year. The big guys know something.

    You just can’t look at this data and come away with a conclusion other than the big cost increases driven by too few people signing up has started. And it has started a year earlier than most of us expected......snip~

    Why Are The 2016 Obamacare Rate Increases So Large? - Forbes

  2. #192
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,183

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    Common sense tells you that people without health insurance sometimes die prematurely. They also drive up healthcare costs and therefore insurance premiums. And isn't one unnecessary death too many? How do you feel about thousands? Like 20-50 thousand a year?



    Askin' ain't gettin'. And you offer no evidence. Again? Let's see it from last year. Or the year before. Or …
    Prior to the ACA, there were reportedly about 45 million Americans without any health insurance. Following the inception of the ACA, as reported last September, that number had dropped to about 41 million.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/16/us...hows.html?_r=0

    So, let's see. Even if we were to grant that all of the just under 4 million who are now insured are recipients of federal subsidies in states that don't provide an exchange - which is false since the majority of those 4 million are actually eligible now for Medicaid - you would have the difference between 41 million and 4 million. So your claim is that upwards of 50,000 of this 4 million are going to die because they lose the federal subsidies. Using your logic, about 500,000 are going to die with the federal subsidies because they still don't have insurance.

    So, once again, the claim that removal of the federal subsidies would kill many many people is just utter nonsense.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    <facepalm>

    Well, enjoy your sky-high premiums and $5K and $10K deductibles, LOL!
    For another 18 months

  4. #194
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,335

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Starting a business takes a lot of resources and balls.

    With UHC, yours and your employees health aren't even a part of the equation.
    I assume you think that's a good thing. If you don't, I do.

  5. #195
    Quantum sufficit


    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,724

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That bolded part is not compatible with the truth.
    Show us then.

    And please don't use things like lowering premiums for specific groups, or subsidizing premiums. Show us where people said that premiums (not growth) would be lower overall with the ACA.

    I think we will see you are wrong.
    Your lack of comprehension is not a failure of the program.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #196
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,191
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Prior to the ACA, there were reportedly about 45 million Americans without any health insurance. Following the inception of the ACA, as reported last September, that number had dropped to about 41 million.
    Woohoo!!! Obamacare WIN right there!


    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    So, let's see. Even if we were to grant that all of the just under 4 million who are now insured are recipients of federal subsidies in states that don't provide an exchange - which is false since the majority of those 4 million are actually eligible now for Medicaid - you would have the difference between 41 million and 4 million. So your claim is that upwards of 50,000 of this 4 million are going to die because they lose the federal subsidies. Using your logic, about 500,000 are going to die with the federal subsidies because they still don't have insurance.

    So, once again, the claim that removal of the federal subsidies would kill many many people is just utter nonsense.
    Look on the bright side, ER visits are UP after Obamacare too! Glad we straightened all that out and gave people who couldn't afford insurance, a premium they still cannot afford or if they could afford the premium, gave them a deductible they cannot pay. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

    Spring 2014 - ER visits skyrocket under ObamaCare | New York Post
    Spring 2015 - Contrary to goals, ER visits rise under Obamacare
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #197
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24,772

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Republicans are off the hook.
    Absolutely. This was political all the way. If the scouts shot this down repubsall over there'd states would have their seats threatened in the next election as folks wondered where their insurance went.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    11,863

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Starting a business takes a lot of resources and balls.

    With UHC, yours and your employees health aren't even a part of the equation.
    Exactly!

    It takes a lot of balls, capital expenditure, capital flow (soon hopefully), and the need to develop positive cash flow ASAP. All of which are facilitated by taking healthcare expenditures off the table!

    This seems so otherwise obvious, that I'm at a loss to see how it's not touted more ...
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 07:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Well, I don't know about your number, but we are going to pay for them one way or another. If they don't have insurance they will use the emergency room and the expense will be even more. With insurance there is preventive care that should cut down on both health problems and thus trips to the emergency rooms.

    BTW, I highly doubt your number of lazy people who won't work. My neighborhood is over 90% Hispanic. In the morning and during the day it is a ghost town here. All the men are working and many of the women are also. The other women are taking care of the children.

    Maybe it's like what you describe where you live but not here.

    It might be off a bit but then you can look at Chicago's numbers for yourself. You can check out those that haven't had a job for years. Check out black unemployment too.

    If they don't have a job and no insurance. What do you think they are going to do anyways?

  10. #200
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    "I will sign a universal health care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year." June 23, 2007

    Standard advertising technique. He was saying that during the campaign. The legislation hadn't even been drafted. Maybe if he'd gotten what he wanted …
    So, no one ever said the program would lower premium rates according to you, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    [????

    What do years like 2008 have to do with what I posted? My sources referred to ACA rates in 2013-16.
    Because the links and discussion that premium rates were rising AS QUICKLY were based upon a link comparing them to the rises in one quarter of President Bush's term. The discussion was before and after Obamacare.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •