Page 120 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1534

Thread: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

  1. #1191
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,744

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    The economy actually lowered health care costs in 2009 -2010. We were in the beginning of the worst recession since the Great Depression.
    People with co pays and deductibles put off elective surgery, things like knee and hip replacements, and a lot of regular doctors visits to save money.
    I keep hearing about this being the worst recession since the great depression but I lived during the 81-82 recession compounded by record high interest rates and inflation which created a misery index of 20 compared to the 12 Misery index Obama had. What I see are people who have either very short memories or are simply too gullible to research and find out which recession affected the most people, hint, it wasn't this one.

    I find it quite concerning that people like you have no problem having money taken from a faceless person in the form of subsidies but bet you would have a problem going to your neighbor and asking that neighbor to give you money to pay for your health insurance. Guess you don't see the comparison.

  2. #1192
    Quantum sufficit


    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,800

    Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I keep hearing about this being the worst recession since the great depression but I lived during the 81-82 recession compounded by record high interest rates and inflation which created a misery index of 20 compared to the 12 Misery index Obama had. What I see are people who have either very short memories or are simply too gullible to research and find out which recession affected the most people, hint, it wasn't this one.

    I find it quite concerning that people like you have no problem having money taken from a faceless person in the form of subsidies but bet you would have a problem going to your neighbor and asking that neighbor to give you money to pay for your health insurance. Guess you don't see the comparison.
    I guess when you've been clowned this badly in a thread, redirecting the conversation to a non sequiter involving the Reagan years is almost reflexive.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #1193
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,870

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I keep hearing about this being the worst recession since the great depression but I lived during the 81-82 recession compounded by record high interest rates and inflation which created a misery index of 20 compared to the 12 Misery index Obama had. What I see are people who have either very short memories or are simply too gullible to research and find out which recession affected the most people, hint, it wasn't this one.

    I find it quite concerning that people like you have no problem having money taken from a faceless person in the form of subsidies but bet you would have a problem going to your neighbor and asking that neighbor to give you money to pay for your health insurance. Guess you don't see the comparison.
    I remember and lived through the 1980s recession too.
    In fact I was married with a family and our 3rd child was born in 1981.

    This last recession was unlike any other I ever experienced.
    In the past we had manufacturing crisis, fuel crisis, inflation crisis, dot. com crisis etc.

    In the last 40 years every other recession our country was in those who had very good or excellent credit were able to get loans. Those loans may have come with double diget interest but they were still available.

    This last recession was different because the lending institutions did not have the money to loan.

    The financial crisis hit before President Bush left office.
    Last edited by minnie616; 07-05-15 at 11:19 PM.

  4. #1194
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,744

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I guess when you've been clowned this badly in a thread, redirecting the conversation to a non sequiter involving the Reagan years is almost reflexive.
    I find that people like you have such passion for ignorance. When someone claims it was the worst recession in history and I respond with information proving that 81-82 was worse because it affected more people that isn't derailing the thread that is responding to someone who already did that.

  5. #1195
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,744

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I remember and lived through the 1980s recession too.
    In fact I was married with a family and our 3rd child was born in 1981.

    This last recession was unlike any other I ever experienced.
    In the past we had manufacturing crisis, fuel crisis, inflation crisis, dot. com crisis etc.

    In the last 40 years every other recession our country was in those who had very good or excellent credit were able to get loans. Those loans may have come with double diget interest but they were still available.

    This last recession was different because the lending institutions did not have the money to loan.

    The financial crisis hit before President Bush left office.
    If you were around during the 81-82 recession you would understand how inflation affected that recession and why more people were hurt and affected. Foreclosures were rampant and interest rates were over 17%. This recession did not affect ALL Americans whereas that one did because interest rates affected every American, the difference is leadership then vs. now. This recession had an incompetent and a supportive Congress implementing policy. You want badly to believe what you are being told but think about it

  6. #1196
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,744

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    I remember and lived through the 1980s recession too.
    In fact I was married with a family and our 3rd child was born in 1981.

    This last recession was unlike any other I ever experienced.
    In the past we had manufacturing crisis, fuel crisis, inflation crisis, dot. com crisis etc.

    In the last 40 years every other recession our country was in those who had very good or excellent credit were able to get loans. Those loans may have come with double diget interest but they were still available.

    This last recession was different because the lending institutions did not have the money to loan.

    The financial crisis hit before President Bush left office.
    If you were around during the 81-82 recession you would understand how inflation affected that recession and why more people were hurt and affected. Foreclosures were rampant and interest rates were over 17%. This recession did not affect ALL Americans whereas that one did because interest rates affected every American, the difference is leadership then vs. now. This recession had an incompetent and a supportive Congress implementing policy. You want badly to believe what you are being told but think about it

  7. #1197
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,445

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I find that people like you have such passion for ignorance. When someone claims it was the worst recession in history and I respond with information proving that 81-82 was worse because it affected more people that isn't derailing the thread that is responding to someone who already did that.
    You're just undermining your credibility when you say the recession of 81-82 was worse. By the time the current Great Recession was just hitting an employment bottom, the jobs market had already completely recovered from the 81-82 recession. The closest parallel to the current recession in the past century was the Great Depression.

    EmployRecJuly2013.jpg

  8. #1198
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    59,744

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You're just undermining your credibility when you say the recession of 81-82 was worse. By the time the current Great Recession was just hitting an employment bottom, the jobs market had already completely recovered from the 81-82 recession. The closest parallel to the current recession in the past century was the Great Depression.

    EmployRecJuly2013.jpg
    What you are ignoring is leadership and economic policy. Pointing out the worse numbers today are an indication of poor leadership and poor economic policy not the severity of the recession. How can anyone say that this recession with a 12 misery index was worse than the 81-82 recession with a misery index that exceeded 20? We elect leaders to implement economic policies to improve our economy not the incompetent we elected in 2008 who prolonged the recession.

  9. #1199
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,445

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If you were around during the 81-82 recession you would understand how inflation affected that recession and why more people were hurt and affected. Foreclosures were rampant and interest rates were over 17%. This recession did not affect ALL Americans whereas that one did because interest rates affected every American, the difference is leadership then vs. now. This recession had an incompetent and a supportive Congress implementing policy. You want badly to believe what you are being told but think about it
    Goodness, you're comparing apples and dump trucks. The recessions had different causes and were completely different in kind. The Reagan era recession was marked by runaway inflation. This last one was a WORLD WIDE credit bubble bursting, with a deflationary spiral the biggest risk. Again, the last time that a credit bubble burst, we had the Great Depression. That's just a start of the differences, in our economy and the worldwide economy, etc.

  10. #1200
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    05-28-16 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Supreme Court Upholds Obama Health Care Subsidies[W:700]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What you are ignoring is leadership and economic policy. Pointing out the worse numbers today are an indication of poor leadership and poor economic policy not the severity of the recession. How can anyone say that this recession with a 12 misery index was worse than the 81-82 recession with a misery index that exceeded 20? We elect leaders to implement economic policies to improve our economy not the incompetent we elected in 2008 who prolonged the recession.

    Not that the "misery index" holds any real value, or meaning, but it's funny you went out of your way to bring it up,
    and in the process, told a lie

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery..._U.S_president

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •