Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

  1. #31
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-06-17 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,769
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Trade Promotion Authority =/= the Trans Pacific Partnership.
    True, however it may very well lead to that (though I hope I am proven wrong).
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,484

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    There's no reason for so much attitude.
    At the end of WW2 the US was the last major economy standing, and was able to afford a type of lush industrial economy that was an historical anomaly. The error is to mistake that anomaly for normal. By 1975 the rest of the world had sufficiently recovered to begin to exert competitive pressure. What has seemed like a decline from the good old days has simply been a reversion to normal.
    Sarcasm designed to make one think is legitimate debate tactic.

    So, WHY was the American economy able to stand so tall at the end of WW2? Because we had people with jobs. People with jobs are able to buy things which keeps an economy going (indeed, people having money to buy things and keep the economy strong is one of the strong reasons that people advocate for government handouts). Our jobs get shipped out of the country and what happens? We no longer have a strong base to keep strong even when other countries are struggling.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #33
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,133
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    If this is gonna be such a great deal, then why can't they just show the public what's in it? Hell, why can't they show Congress what's in it before they vote on it?
    All 535 members of the House and Senate have had access to the full text. Treaty language is never made public until the text is presented for ratification.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #34
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,133
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Sarcasm designed to make one think is legitimate debate tactic.

    So, WHY was the American economy able to stand so tall at the end of WW2? Because we had people with jobs. People with jobs are able to buy things which keeps an economy going (indeed, people having money to buy things and keep the economy strong is one of the strong reasons that people advocate for government handouts). Our jobs get shipped out of the country and what happens? We no longer have a strong base to keep strong even when other countries are struggling.
    Our economy stood so tall at the end of WW2 because the war had been a huge stimulus, and every other major economy had been destroyed. It was an abnormal situation.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #35
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,021

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    If this is gonna be such a great deal, then why can't they just show the public what's in it? Hell, why can't they show Congress what's in it before they vote on it?
    Greetings, Mr. Invisible.

    I can sort of understand not making it available to the public, since many people probably wouldn't understand it even if they had any interest in reading it in the first place, but are you saying that Congress may have just voted on something they haven't read?

  6. #36
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,133
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, Mr. Invisible.

    I can sort of understand not making it available to the public, since many people probably wouldn't understand it even if they had any interest in reading it in the first place, but are you saying that Congress may have just voted on something they haven't read?
    Good evening, Polgara.

    All 535 members of the House and Senate have had (and still have) access to the full text.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #37
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    25,804

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Lucky for our President that Repubs put country before party and voted for free trade. Too bad the Dems couldn't help.

    Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    The Senate voted Wednesday to approve fast-track authority, securing a big second-term legislative win for President Obama after a months-long struggle.
    The 60-38 Senate vote capped weeks of fighting over the trade bill, which pitted Obama against most of his party including Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).
    Passage of the bill is also a big victory for GOP leaders in Congress, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). The Republican leaders worked closely with an administration they have more frequently opposed to nudge the trade bill over the goal line.Labor unions and liberal Democrats had fought hard against the authority and are likely to now turn their attention toward stopping the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a trade deal Obama is negotiating with 11 other Pacific Rim nations.
    Fast-track, or trade promotion authority (TPA), will allow the White House to send trade deals to Congress for up-or-down votes. The Senate will not be able to filibuster them, and lawmakers will not have the power to amend them. . . .


    Your party just decided to forfeit their resposibilities as the legislative branch to give the executive branch even more power... Which they will then bitch about it having too much power. And you don't even see that. Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  8. #38
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,133
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Your party just decided to forfeit their resposibilities as the legislative branch to give the executive branch even more power... Which they will then bitch about it having too much power. And you don't even see that. Amazing.
    Since this treaty is being handled just like every preceding trade treaty I'm afraid you'll have to explain that rant.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,484

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Our economy stood so tall at the end of WW2 because the war had been a huge stimulus, and every other major economy had been destroyed. It was an abnormal situation.
    Why was it "abnormal"? What kept it strong?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #40
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Senate Approves Fast-Track, Sending Trade Bill to White House

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Since this treaty is being handled just like every preceding trade treaty I'm afraid you'll have to explain that rant.
    Just for the record, I've been for approval of the TPP from just about the very start.

    On my way back over from the PI this last weekend, I was reading an editorial in the English version of the Korea Times, and they brought up a good point: the TPP is America's first, best opportunity to set the terms of Pacific trade...before China's able to flex her muscles to the point where she can dictate the terms of any such agreements. The TPP, in their eyes, seem to be as much about presenting a close-to-unified economic front to China as it is a real effort to break down trade boundaries.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •