Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 213

Thread: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

  1. #1
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,658
    Blog Entries
    2

    Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Virginia will phase out vehicle license plates featuring the Confederate battle flag, the state's governor said on Tuesday, following the fatal shooting of nine black worshipers at a historic South Carolina church, allegedly by a white gunman.

    Read the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/virginia-gover...152930901.html

    I predict that the same thing will happen in other states in the near future and that all states will stop mandating display of the Confederate flag.


    No one is going to stop anyone from personally displaying it, but the states will stop doing it.

    Wait and see.

  2. #2
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Probably a good idea. People should be able to display the flag all day long, but not real sure we have much precedence for a license plate being a pure example of freedom of expression.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50,820

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Probably a good idea. People should be able to display the flag all day long, but not real sure we have much precedence for a license plate being a pure example of freedom of expression.
    Yeah, you have a right to display the flag and be an asshole, but you don't have the right to make the government display your asshole flag. People who want to celebrate treason, slavery, and oppression can buy a bumper sticker.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  4. #4
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,807

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah, you have a right to display the flag and be an asshole, but you don't have the right to make the government display your asshole flag. People who want to celebrate treason, slavery, and oppression can buy a bumper sticker.
    Time to bring back the two-toned, felon produced license plates to protect from the perpetually offended.

  5. #5
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,711
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    This is a good idea but I fear if the confederate flag gets hard to acquire then those people will have to reset to flying swastikas instead.

  6. #6
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,047

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Virginia will phase out vehicle license plates featuring the Confederate battle flag, the state's governor said on Tuesday, following the fatal shooting of nine black worshipers at a historic South Carolina church, allegedly by a white gunman.

    Read the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/virginia-gover...152930901.html

    I predict that the same thing will happen in other states in the near future and that all states will stop mandating display of the Confederate flag.


    No one is going to stop anyone from personally displaying it, but the states will stop doing it.

    Wait and see.
    I love how you say "allegedly by a white gunman" yet you have absolute certainty that the Confederate Flag is the real culprit.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,802

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    Probably a good idea. People should be able to display the flag all day long, but not real sure we have much precedence for a license plate being a pure example of freedom of expression.
    I believe the SC just ruled that a license plate constitutes government speech.
    Trump is so good at eliminating government waste, he's shortened POTUS to POS. Thanks, Trump!

  8. #8
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,658
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I love how you say "allegedly by a white gunman"
    yet you have absolute certainty that the Confederate Flag is the real culprit.


    In the USA everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

  9. #9
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,802

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    In the USA everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
    Except when it comes to asset forfeiture.
    Trump is so good at eliminating government waste, he's shortened POTUS to POS. Thanks, Trump!

  10. #10
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50,820

    Re: Virginia governor orders Confederate flag removed from license plates

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I love how you say "allegedly by a white gunman" yet you have absolute certainty that the Confederate Flag is the real culprit.
    Another conservative deluding themselves into thinking those darn liberals think flags are the culprit.

    Really? How did you manage to decide this was the argument? Please explain, I'm really interested in hearing how so many of you concluded this.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •