Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 312

Thread: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Faced

  1. #81
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 10:40 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,339

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im going to have to allow for the fact that just maybe he knows more about these threats than you do. In fact, I expect the committee is getting lots of chatter, evidence of real threats, etc.
    The Congress critter undoubtedly knows more about threats against this nation and its citizens than I or any other non-member of his committee. However, I do wonder why the hyperbole, HIGHEST THREAT LEVEL EVER!!!!!, is seen as simply stating the facts.

    Is ISIS really as much of a threat as the Soviet Union in the 50s and 60s? That is what I was criticising in my earlier comment.

    This style of fear-generating speech comes across as more political campaigning than an actual warning to the American public. Once again the GOP talker is attempting to convey the message that the President is doing nothing to protect America. As with so much political speech, the warning was not about speaking TRUTH but more about reassuring the acolytes that everything they 'know' is TRUE - even when more rational folks are saying, WTF!
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    The Congress critter undoubtedly knows more about threats against this nation and its citizens than I or any other non-member of his committee. However, I do wonder why the hyperbole, HIGHEST THREAT LEVEL EVER!!!!!, is seen as simply stating the facts.

    Is ISIS really as much of a threat as the Soviet Union in the 50s and 60s? That is what I was criticising in my earlier comment.

    This style of fear-generating speech comes across as more political campaigning than an actual warning to the American public. Once again the GOP talker is attempting to convey the message that the President is doing nothing to protect America. As with so much political speech, the warning was not about speaking TRUTH but more about reassuring the acolytes that everything they 'know' is TRUE - even when more rational folks are saying, WTF!
    And if it is the highest threat level ever faced, how should he say so without offending you?

  3. #83
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 10:40 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,339

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    And if it is the highest threat level ever faced, how should he say so without offending you?
    Do you honestly believe that ISIS is a greater threat today than the Soviet Union during the Cold War?

    The clown doesn't offend me, he makes me laugh at his absurdity. It makes me sad that too many Americans are so ignorant about the past.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Do you honestly believe that ISIS is a greater threat today than the Soviet Union during the Cold War?

    The clown doesn't offend me, he makes me laugh at his absurdity. It makes me sad that too many Americans are so ignorant about the past.
    The Soviet union was a conventional enemy. Americans were safe for several reasons, including the fact that we had nukes and a massive military presence-the Russians weren't crazy.

    This terror threat is asymmetric, and the combatants are not bound by the same rules. This enemy can freely cross borders, hide amongst Americans, and prefers to hit at "soft" targets for propaganda purposes. For the record I dont think they are crazy-crazy implies irrationality and a psychiatric disorder-these terrorists aren't mentally ill, they know what they are doing and from their perspective its quite rational.

    Back to the house intelligence committee-they have more knowledge than you do. They know the threats better than you. If the chair of that committee is worried, its something to be concerned about.

    If you prefer to delude yourself by muttering jibberish about the soviet union, feel free but what you are saying is you prefer to make yourself feel better about the situation by explaining things away.

    Frankly, my concern has nothing to do with you or what you think (it truly does not matter), im thinking about those Americans who will be harmed.

  5. #85
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,825

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Well, we should all embrace our inner cowards and be very afraid. We should also trust that the government is perfectly capable of protecting us from all manner of threat, ESPECIALLY if it is allowed to destroy the US Constitution by nullifying various parts of it, including Habeas and the Fourth Amendment.

    Rest easy....

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Well, we should all embrace our inner cowards and be very afraid. We should also trust that the government is perfectly capable of protecting us from all manner of threat, ESPECIALLY if it is allowed to destroy the US Constitution by nullifying various parts of it, including Habeas and the Fourth Amendment.

    Rest easy....
    Id say the cowards (inner and otherwise) are those that refuse to acknowledge threats, or choose to appease them.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    49,550

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Faced In This Country’

    WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee warns that America is dealing with “the highest threat level we have ever faced in this country.” Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., told CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday that the threat is coming from the radicalization of young people and foreign fighters heading to Iraq and Syria to join terror groups.

    “They’re very good at communicating through separate avenues where it’s very difficult to track,” Nunes said. “That’s why when you get a young person who is willing to get into these chat rooms, go on the Internet and get radicalized, it’s something we are not only unprepared [for], we are also not used to it in this country.”



    Nunes: US Is At ‘Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Faced’ « CBS DC
    Bwaahahahahahaha. Typical fear mongering. We have more to fear from the TSA than ISIS. ****ing government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #88
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Do you know why we are at the highest threat level we have been at since the cold war? Because the isolationist and anti-war nimrods have been listened too. We told all of you, that if we were to leave the ME that we would be fighting them here instead of there. well, we are about to see the reality of this soon. With as pourous as our boarders are to our south, and the growing number of enemies through south and central America rise due to the newly perceived American weakness, It is only a matter of time that they start infiltrating us from the south and imbed themselves into our communities. Thanks Anti-war and isolationist movement.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  9. #89
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,825

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Do you know why we are at the highest threat level we have been at since the cold war? Because the isolationist and anti-war nimrods have been listened too. We told all of you, that if we were to leave the ME that we would be fighting them here instead of there. well, we are about to see the reality of this soon. With as pourous as our boarders are to our south, and the growing number of enemies through south and central America rise due to the newly perceived American weakness, It is only a matter of time that they start infiltrating us from the south and imbed themselves into our communities. Thanks Anti-war and isolationist movement.
    In our 14th year of the undeclared Global War On Terror, and you blame 'isolationists and anti-war nimrods'? My goodness, you are in touch with reality....

  10. #90
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,870
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: House Intel Committee Chair: US Is At ‘The Highest Threat Level We Have Ever Face

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    In our 14th year of the undeclared Global War On Terror, and you blame 'isolationists and anti-war nimrods'? My goodness, you are in touch with reality....
    When this began, many preferred to call it The Long War and some still do. We have several decades to go.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •