View Poll Results: Should the flag be moved-removed from all State Buildings?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moved

    5 7.14%
  • Removed

    46 65.71%
  • Stay where it is

    15 21.43%
  • Not sure

    4 5.71%
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 402

Thread: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

  1. #301
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,197

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I'm not totally up on the history of that flag in respect to SC, but it seems to me that the elected officials in SC dealt with the pressure from the Feds around 20 years ago. Since then, it hasn't been an issue and still isn't as far as the Feds are concerned.

    That kind of makes the point of your post moot...don't you agree?
    I guess you mean nearly 50 years ago, with the passage of the CRA and VRA that pretty much gutted the Jim Crow laws and voter suppression efforts common throughout the South?

    But even if so I don't think it makes the observation moot at all. I've been through the history but that particular flag was raised atop the S.C. capitol in 1961 during a time when those raising it (the legislature and/or the Gov) were engaged in a bitter fight AGAINST extending civil rights to blacks. So that flag, that particular design, is intimately associated with state-sponsored efforts to continue the second class treatment of blacks in S.C., and that flag flew continuously over the capitol for 37 years.

    Let me ask you this. Say you're invited to attend a black church in S.C. Given that flag's history, are you going to wear your Confederate Battle Flag belt buckle to the service? Unless you're extremely rude you won't because what you should know is most of not nearly all of that congregation will consider your belt buckle a symbol of past oppression by whites including their own government that only ended when the Feds forced its end. It doesn't even matter what it means to you - to those on the receiving end of centuries of state sponsored oppression, that particular symbol has a very definite meaning, and that meaning is enforced every day because that flag on your belt has been adopted by a slew of racist organizations in your state that say a return to white supremacy is their goal, the same goal the S.C. government fought to maintain when the Confederate flag was raised on the state house.

    And if you say, well, the flag represents my southern pride, the response from a black congregant could be, "you mean the pride and nostalgia for a time when the state prevented me from voting, from eating in the same restaurants as you, etc. and fought a years long battle using that flag as a symbol to perpetuate that state of affairs?"

  2. #302
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    26,620

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont find the link between the south and the crown all that surprising in 1776. It was the greatest concentration of british influence, there was a greater interdependence on textiles and trade...fiscal realities. Not surprising based on the facts of the day. I also dont find the race riots that occurred in the northern cities from 1900-1930 all that surprising. Its just part of history.

    And I think its fine to have discussions on race and racism as historical realities. Great opportunities to learn. Sadly...some ****head will seize on the opportunity to try to capitalize today on the fact that in 1850, Asians in California were treated as slaves, not allowed to associate with non-Asians, couldnt marry, couldnt own proeprty, etc. Modern California doesnt own the actions of historical California. But you know...next thing you know people will be demanding the flag of California be changed...
    I'm just a retired Chem/Physics teacher--but I enjoy all kinds of history--like the history of my subjects.

    If I taught US history today and had a free hand, I'd go backwards.
    With trying to put in plenty of current events discussion without getting in trouble with the admins.

    My first unit would be Reagan until now--then Eisenhower to Carter--Roosevelt/Truman/WW2--1921-1933--Progressive era/WW1--
    Age of Inventions/Gilded Age--Civil War/Reconstruction--1828 Tariff Act/Whigs/pre-civil war--Industrial Revolution--
    Constitution/early Presidents through Monroe--American Revolution/Washington--
    French-Indian War/1700s/1600s--1500s/da Vinci/explorers/printing press at least
    Chemists Have Solutions .

  3. #303
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Sure I have - that flag was raised in 1961, and it's not a coincidence that the raising of a Confederate battle flag occurred during a bitter battle over civil rights for blacks. You have to be willfully ignorant to conclude that the events are mere coincidences, and especially given the fact that the same flag was adopted by other states and by white racists opposing civil rights and fighting to maintain white supremacy. Those events are all related, part of the history of that flag.
    I'm not surprised you didn't offer proof of history, had you done so - you would have revealed that the flag was put on the State House in 62 - in conjunction with the Civil War centennial. It had been in House Chambers since 1938.
    History of the Confederate Flag on Statehouse Grounds - ABC News


    The alternative explanation is the flag was raised to honor the Southern heritage or some such nonsense, and that might fly if the Confederate battle flag was raised to commemorate some event and then removed after a week, a month, even a year, but it stayed for DECADES, an historical artifact, flying over the State's Capitol.
    Not the "alternate" explanation - the real explanation. Since it was already in the Senate and the House, and everyone seemed happy with it - they left it.

    And we have to assume that the white leaders who raised that flag had the support of 'the [white] people' in those states, because they elected white leaders who defended white supremacy and Jim Crow for DECADES. You're asking me to believe that gutless politicians who have always pandered to voters were somehow acting contrary to the will of the majority of their constituents, and there is simply NO evidence that is the case.
    We don't have to assume any such thing. Your imagination is running wild with you. Only a handful of people biotched about it - and that was after many years had passed.


    I can acknowledge what that flag might mean to some people all day long and it won't change the fact that it was a mostly obscure flag until the civil rights battles started, and that the leaders of the movement against civil rights for their black residents raised that flag as their symbol of protest. That some might honor their dead relatives with it doesn't change that in 2015 that flag has been adopted as a symbol for white supremacists, same as it was the symbol for white supremacists occupying the highest state offices in the 1950s and 1960s.
    It was only obscure to you - and to those who have no tie to the Civil War South. You seem to badly want to attribute feelings to this flag that simply did not exist until liberals started making a big deal out of it. You're CREATING the controversy - it wasn't there before. This faux outrage is a production of the Left.


    OK, accepting your premise, then as this transformation of the symbol takes place, would you suggest that white, blue eyed, blonde Germans raise the flag and then ask Jewish residents to accept that when THEY raise the flag on the State Capitol, it means peace? Come one. Those Jewish residents would have known friends or family members slaughtered, millions of them in total, under that banner. No one with the slightest respect for Jews and the pain of that recent history would fly that flag and expect them to understand that it no longer means hate and a desire to wipe them off the face of the earth, but peace and love.

    And remember that you'd be asking Jews to ignore that white, blue eyed blonde Germans raised that Nazi banner in 1961 while fighting to keep Jews as second class citizens BY LAW, prohibited from attending state colleges, segregated in inferior schools, unable to eat in the same restaurants as Christians, or sit in the same movie seats, Jews only allowed in the back rows of buses, and unable to vote and exercise their rights as Americans, etc. and kept that Nazi banner on the state house continually for another 37 years and only removed it under protest from the Jewish community.

    Seriously, I can't believe you believe your own rhetoric. Please, put yourself in the shoes of Jews and ask yourself if you'd buy that nonsense....



    What will we have lost? A symbol of a racist past? Good riddance.
    I am Jewish. I know what the swastika means to Jews. It didn't have to mean that - but now it does. Now, it's truly an insult. But everytime some skinhead wears it or flies it - it feels like a direct threat. Had the Native Americans reclaimed it and had it never been banned in Germany - it would never have the power it has today. That's what you're missing.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  4. #304
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This follows on your previous claim that I am ignorant of US history, where upon you delve in current Russian history (!!) in a false analogy of the US Civil War.
    My analogy was spot on.

    What is to be done is for US state governments to remove a symbol that represents an attempt to dissolve the Union and maintain a system of slave labor. The US is usually a place that does not celebrate rebellious losers.
    Gimme a break. The US has become the biggest celebrator of rebellious losers around. We no longer value those who create and make jobs, instead, we degrade them and pander to those who would leech off the system.

    The Left has turned into the McCarthiests of the 21 Century.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  5. #305
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,623

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I guess you mean nearly 50 years ago, with the passage of the CRA and VRA that pretty much gutted the Jim Crow laws and voter suppression efforts common throughout the South?

    But even if so I don't think it makes the observation moot at all. I've been through the history but that particular flag was raised atop the S.C. capitol in 1961 during a time when those raising it (the legislature and/or the Gov) were engaged in a bitter fight AGAINST extending civil rights to blacks. So that flag, that particular design, is intimately associated with state-sponsored efforts to continue the second class treatment of blacks in S.C., and that flag flew continuously over the capitol for 37 years.

    Let me ask you this. Say you're invited to attend a black church in S.C. Given that flag's history, are you going to wear your Confederate Battle Flag belt buckle to the service? Unless you're extremely rude you won't because what you should know is most of not nearly all of that congregation will consider your belt buckle a symbol of past oppression by whites including their own government that only ended when the Feds forced its end. It doesn't even matter what it means to you - to those on the receiving end of centuries of state sponsored oppression, that particular symbol has a very definite meaning, and that meaning is enforced every day because that flag on your belt has been adopted by a slew of racist organizations in your state that say a return to white supremacy is their goal, the same goal the S.C. government fought to maintain when the Confederate flag was raised on the state house.

    And if you say, well, the flag represents my southern pride, the response from a black congregant could be, "you mean the pride and nostalgia for a time when the state prevented me from voting, from eating in the same restaurants as you, etc. and fought a years long battle using that flag as a symbol to perpetuate that state of affairs?"
    Actually, I was referring to the SC Legislature that moved that flag off their Capitol building to the memorial site where it now resides...and, I'll add, where it has resided for around 20 years.

    In any case, your analogy about the black church doesn't fit. In regards to this flag, we are talking about it existing at a location that anyone is free to visit...or not. Therefore, any ill feeling anyone might experience from seeing it can be quickly remedied by not going near it. On the other hand, anyone who DOES want to see it...for whatever reason (maybe their ancestor fought in that war and they want to pay their respects to the sacrifices the ancestor made)...are free to visit the memorial. Unlike your church analogy, nobody is getting that flag shoved in their face.
    Last edited by Mycroft; 06-23-15 at 03:02 PM.
    TANSTAAFL
    -I don't trust a man who talks about ethics when he's picking my pocket.- Time Enough For Love - Robert A Heinlein
    My avatar created by Feliza Estrada estrada.feliza@yahoo.com

  6. #306
    Professor
    HowardBThiname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    America's Heartland
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,955

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I'll go ahead and repost this since it seems to have slipped past without understanding...

    Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition.

    When you quote something - you need to put quotation marks around it and you need to source the citation. Your quotation comes from a VP of the Confederacy and in that speech he said a great many other things - many about unfair trade and finances.

    You've posted that quote a number of times now - each time incorrectly. No one denies there were racists in the Confederacy - heck - until a few years before - Northerners still owned slaves. Northerners also owned indentured servants at the same time who were no more than slaves - they just had a time limit on their servitude. As pointed out by others - the US Flag flew over slavery for nearly a century.

    Your quote comes from one very wealthy man. That man was not indicative of the common Southerner.

    You might not realize it - but you're doing nothing but creating more racism by acting like an entire region was racist and owned slaves. Perhaps you want a race war - but I don't.
    "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." ~ Thomas Jefferson

  7. #307
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,873

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The Nazi flag was created for and used by a racist. Now...should those German citizens be shamed to fly a German flag?
    The Confederate flag was created an used by a government whose primary reason for secession was slavery. So anyways, are you going to answer the question?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-23-15 at 03:07 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #308
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,873

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    The Stars and Stripes, the Flag of the North, flew for over 80 years while Slavery was legal.

    Allot longer than the Confederate flag flew. Also the Confederate flag was a Battle flag, not a National flag.

    The National flag of the South had a different design.

    And yes, the North used slaves. Really, the North never had a problem with slavery until the South wanted to secede.

    Come to think of it, Dutch, English and Porteguese Ships brought slaves over to the US.
    Should those flags be taken down ?

    Maybe if people were more educated they wouldn't be so insulted over a flag.

    They definitely wouldn't compare it to the Nazi flag, thats for sure.
    That's a silly argument. The Confederate flag was created an used by a government whose primary reason for secession/rebellion was maintaining slavery. I'm guessing you don't want to answer the question?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-23-15 at 03:09 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #309
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,744
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not sure. I would have to believe however that violations of the law are grounds for impeachment and likely go against the oath of office. Contrary to what seems to have become the standard mindset of many in America, Executive Branch officers are not Kings that simply can disregard and break the law because they feel like it.
    George W Bush and his allies who pushed unitary executive theory disagree.

  10. #310
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,731
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's a silly argument. The Stars and Stripes wasn't created for the primary purpose of maintaining slavery.
    What flag was created for the primary purpose of maintaining slavery?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •