View Poll Results: Should the flag be moved-removed from all State Buildings?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moved

    5 7.14%
  • Removed

    46 65.71%
  • Stay where it is

    15 21.43%
  • Not sure

    4 5.71%
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 402

Thread: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

  1. #281
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,327

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I didn't say it was "created" for that purpose. What I said was it enjoyed a massive resurgence in popularity during the period of bitter battles over civil rights and Jim Crow laws, ultimately struck down by Congress and the Courts over the vehement objections of white Southerners.

    And, again, that flag was first raised on the Capitol in 1961 as SC and the rest of the South was fighting to maintain Jim Crow and white supremacy, and it stayed there for 37 years before it was moved to its current location. It's part of history. If you think that history is wrong, tell me where.
    That some see it as a racist symbol or some use it as a racist symbol is irrelevant.

    Do you believe that everyone that disagrees with you about flying the flag is a racist?

  2. #282
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    So you are equally in favor of eliminating several state flags, the US Flag, and many others that by some are seen as banners of oppression because some have abused and misused them?
    I guess you don't want to talk about S.C. and their history with the flag in question because the history is so clear, so you're moving the goal posts to some other unidentified flags seen by unidentified persons as banners of oppression because "some" (not sure who they are..) "abused and misused" them in some unidentified way.

    If you want to be specific, then by all means we can shift the discussion to something else entirely! But maybe its best if we stick to this topic, at least on this thread.

  3. #283
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,327

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I guess you don't want to talk about S.C. and their history with the flag in question because the history is so clear, so you're moving the goal posts to some other unidentified flags seen by unidentified persons as banners of oppression because "some" (not sure who they are..) "abused and misused" them in some unidentified way.

    If you want to be specific, then by all means we can shift the discussion to something else entirely! But maybe its best if we stick to this topic, at least on this thread.
    Dood...lets be blunt. I dont give a **** about your 'goalpost'. If we are being honest I barely consider a word you say. This issue isnt about 'South Carolina'. This is just another 'cause'...a celebratory orgy of race and racism. Personally...I dont care what South Carolina does or doesnt do...I'm not a citizen there. If they want to take it down they should. They just shouldnt accept a bunch of bitter angry narrow minded hate filled cause driven assholes from Washington DC's opinions as their reason for taking it down.

    Is everyone that disagrees with you about the flag racist? Yes or no.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 06-23-15 at 12:43 PM.

  4. #284
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    That some see it as a racist symbol or some use it as a racist symbol is irrelevant.
    Of course the history of the flag is relevant. And it wasn't some vague "some" who used it as a racist symbol - this was the elected officials of the State of S.C. who rose that flag over their capitol in defiance of the Feds pushing for civil rights for blacks.

    Do you believe that everyone that disagrees with you about flying the flag is a racist?
    No, if I thought that I'd say that. It's a ridiculous notion.

  5. #285
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,327

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Of course the history of the flag is relevant. And it wasn't some vague "some" who used it as a racist symbol - this was the elected officials of the State of S.C. who rose that flag over their capitol in defiance of the Feds pushing for civil rights for blacks.



    No, if I thought that I'd say that. It's a ridiculous notion.
    Beautiful. Common ground. People can disagree about this and still not be racist. Phew.

  6. #286
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Dood...lets be blunt. I dont give a **** about your 'goalpost'. If we are being honest I barely consider a word you say. This issue isnt about 'South Carolina'. This is just another 'cause'...a celebratory orgy of race and racism. Personally...I dont care what South Carolina does or doesnt do...I'm not a citizen there. If they want to take it down they should. They just shouldnt accept a bunch of bitter angry narrow minded hate filled cause driven assholes fro Washington DC's opinions as their reason for taking it down.

    Is everyone that disagrees with you about the flag racist? Yes or no.
    OK fair enough, you're not interested in an honest discussion. Good to know.

    And I answered your question. I don't make ignorant stereotypes like this, "bitter angry narrow minded hate filled cause driven assholes," about people who have different opinions than I do. It's entirely possible that those who disagree merely disagree but are otherwise good people.

  7. #287
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,025

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    LOL, more shifting goal posts.

    And you're repeatedly posting in a thread about a subject that is a 'non-issue'...........
    No, thats not shifting goal post, thats adding perspective.

    Which is in short supply for skne reason.

    And why do I post in a thread about a non issue ? Again, to add perspective and to expose the hypocrisy of those who want to ban a flag.

  8. #288
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    46,992

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Is every Californian a racist hate mongering bigot because California interred thousands of Japanese people against their will? Is every American a racist because some racist groups gather under the starts and stripes? Was every German citizen a murderous nazi scumbag?

    For that matter...wasnt every British subject a 'traitor' when they rebelled against the crown to form the United States?

    You are slanted by your own hatred and bigotry.
    Uhh, the Confederacy was created by treason. The confederate flag represents that treason. California was. It founded on Japanese internment.

    And yes, everyone rebelling against Britain was a traitor to the crown. Are you saying equal justification existed for the confederacy? Fighting a war to maintain slavery was equivalent to the American Revolution?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  9. #289
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,270

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    No, thats not shifting goal post, thats adding perspective.

    Which is in short supply for skne reason.

    And why do I post in a thread about a non issue ? Again, to add perspective and to expose the hypocrisy of those who want to ban a flag.
    Who wants to "ban" any flag?

    And what is the hypocrisy? We have an opinion about a flag. Others disagree. And expressing our views pro or con on this issue doesn't mean we think it's a critical issue, not even in the top 100. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think this forum is an actual vehicle for solving the world's problems. It's entertainment and a diversion, and for me is a good way to defend my beliefs against others who are intelligent and disagree.

  10. #290
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,327

    Re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Uhh, the Confederacy was created by treason. The confederate flag represents that treason. California was. It founded on Japanese internment.

    And yes, everyone rebelling against Britain was a traitor to the crown. Are you saying equal justification existed for the confederacy? Fighting a war to maintain slavery was equivalent to the American Revolution?
    Most in the south didnt fight the war to defend slavery. They fought the war top reject dominance of the north. Right, wrong, or indifferent most of their motives then are no different than the states today that insist on their independence and autonomy from an oppressive federal government.

    To them, their cause was as noble and justified as the patriot 'traitors' that rebelled against the crown.

    And California certainly has a fairly strong tradition of oppression of Asian people. Is that their lasting legacy? Shall we judge all Californians on their racism and oppression?

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •