View Poll Results: Should the flag be moved-removed from all State Buildings?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moved

    5 7.14%
  • Removed

    46 65.71%
  • Stay where it is

    15 21.43%
  • Not sure

    4 5.71%
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 402

Thread: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And the South was much richer than the North at that time, yes?
    Not sure about that. Certainly the slaveholder class was amongst the wealthiest on earth at the time, but it was a minority (4-8%, IIRC), most southerners were poor. Infrastructure was less developed. The north certainly had its share of wealth from shipping and manufacturing/industry. IIRC by the end of the war NYC had a greater industrial capacity than the entire south.

  2. #122
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,067

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    OK, I get that. But if that symbol just IS offensive to a large share of the population, a POLITE Southerner has a choice, don't they? They can acknowledge that the flag that was flown in defiance of equal rights for blacks as recently as the 1960s and is therefore REASONABLY and RATIONALLY offensive to blacks, and as polite Southerners acknowledge that and remove the flag as an act of common courtesy and respect for others.

    Or they can say, "to hell with anyone who's offended, I'll fly the GD flag if I want!" To me the former is a better reflection of Southern values than the latter
    Well, they might, if they weren't feeling that they're the aggrieved party.


    OK, you almost had me, but the kind of thinking that caused the Civil War in the first place was a deeply held belief in white supremacy, that blacks were inherently inferior and therefore properly subservient to and owned by whites. There is no alternative way to see slavery. Sometimes there is a clear right and wrong. Not often, but there is no benign prism with which to view slavery, or the following century of Jim Crow which was based on the same belief in inherent white supremacy, enforced by the state.
    What you're doing here is making the mistake that that wasn't the common belief (inferiority, not slavery) held by almost ALL (including Lincoln himself) as it regards black people. You're only putting that line of thought on the Southerners.

    This goes past the issue at hand. The issue of slavery actually was settled, or if the South hadn't seceded would have been settled with the Corwin Amendment which Lincoln signed and is still awaiting ratification. Also what people don't seem to realize was that Jim Crow laws were a response to Reconstruction and its excesses which added insult to injury.

    We look at these issues through today's eyes without seeing the other side at that time. People think its cut and dry, slavery is evil, it had always been evil. It might have been, but that doesn't mean that was the case, or the view for everyone. And when you tell someone that not only is the property you owned yesterday no longer yours but instead a fully recognized man who is gonna get a piece of your property for retribution and the Yankee gun is gonna back his play and place this uneducated individual who has decades of righteous rage in a position of local power and you can just sit there and take it or be dead, that there is gonna stick in your craw.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope, but I can tell a dumbass when I see one. There are 3 dumbasses in your pictures. Out of 30 million black people in this country, you found 3 dumb enough to think the confederacy wouldn't have put their asses in chains if it had won. As I said, congratulations.



    I know what your point was. Your point was to try and play some gotcha game by pointing at 3 black people who don't know what they're doing, and black "confederates" - who you didn't know were told to **** off because they'd be completely undermining the point of the confederacy. We get it. Your understanding of history is myopic at best, selective at worst.
    I spent 30 seconds on google, Im sure there are more.

    Again, I believe they were familiar with slavery, both back then and the people alive today. I don't think they support the flag because of slavery, I think they support it because of southern pride, and southern culture-which is still quite distinct.

    But as an arbiter of black people, you get to blanket smear them without attempting to understand their motivations.

  4. #124
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,181

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    The same conservatives who want to spend trillions of $'s and thousands of American lives overseas to protect the American flag and American 'freedoms' want to honor another flag that represents another country and a hell of a lot less 'freedoms' at home?

    ?
    "Big or small, I don't like rabbits. They always look like they're about to say something, but they never do."
    Raj Koothrappali

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-17 @ 11:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    It might be hard, but take an educated guess...
    It's funny. If I had assumed and made the wrong assumption, you would have criticized me for making assumptions. Now that I ask you to clarify, you think I should have assumed. But, since you seem to trust my assumptions, I'm going to assume that you're argument is weak and stupid and you know it.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What's really sad about all this is that the shooting in SC had nothing to do with the confederate flag. But people with agenda's made it about that in order to try and further their agenda. Instead of...you know...actually addressing the actual real ****ing problem.
    By all means, describe the "real ****ing problem" expressed in a racially motivated shooting of Blacks in a church.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    By all means, describe the "real ****ing problem" expressed in a racially motivated shooting of Blacks in a church.
    it's totally the flag... the flag is the problem.

    yessireebob.... flags make people racist and murderous.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    it's totally the flag... the flag is the problem.

    yessireebob.... flags make people racist and murderous.
    Interesting, that is 2 who can't state what "the real ****ing problem" is.

    PS....I never said the flag in and of itself was the "problem", but then some folks are enamored with straw.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,840

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    It is as ridiculous as if the state of Texas flew the Mexican flag. Sure, lots of Texans have ties to Mexico and it used to be Mexican soil, but not anymore. If individual Texans want to fly the Mexican flag they can, but it would be ridiculous for the Texas government to fly it.

    I feel the same about the Confederate flag. But if they want to look like a state of traitors then it is their choice.

  10. #130
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,532

    re: Gov. Haley to call for removal of Confederate flag from Capitol grounds [W:154]

    This new "state shaming" tactic seems to be the new liberal move. if any state makes a religious law or flies a flag they don't like, get ready to get bad mouthed and threatened with economic collapse if the behavior isn't QUICKLY corrected.

    oh, these are such fun times

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •