Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #601
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Mass murders are increasing.

    A quick search online shows.

    17 shootings resulting in 116 deaths and 156 injured between 1985 and 1995.
    15 shootings resulting in 97 deaths and 108 injured between 1995 and 2005.
    35 shootings resulting in 303 deaths and 218 injured between 2005 and 2015 (so far).

    US Mass Shootings, 1982-2012: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation | Mother Jones

    And from the Washington Post.

    A report published by the FBI last year, studying active shooting situations between 2000 and 2013, found that these kinds of incidents were happening more and more recently. The first seven years of the study found an average of 6.4 active shootings per year, while the last seven years of the study found that number jumped up to 16.4 incidents per year.

    Another very interesting read including a chart showing far more shootings since 2006 than I found.

    USA TODAY | BEHIND THE BLOODSHED: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICA?S MASS KILLINGS
    Did you really link to mother jones?

    Ive already linked in this thread to legitimate sources that mass killings are on the decline.

    They simply get more media attention so people feel they are more common. Its an artifact.

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Ah. No evidence. As usual, your comments are invalid and dismissed.
    One nice thing about being well read is the ability to spot flawed inferences a mile away. Next time dont make things up, it looks bad.

    Associated Press Story: Believe It or Not Mass Killings Are Not on the Rise, They Are on the Decline | TheBlaze.com

    Mass shootings actually in decline in U.S., despite perception | World | News |

  3. #603
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Mass murders are increasing.

    A quick search online shows.

    17 shootings resulting in 116 deaths and 156 injured between 1985 and 1995.
    15 shootings resulting in 97 deaths and 108 injured between 1995 and 2005.
    35 shootings resulting in 303 deaths and 218 injured between 2005 and 2015 (so far).

    US Mass Shootings, 1982-2012: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation | Mother Jones

    And from the Washington Post.

    A report published by the FBI last year, studying active shooting situations between 2000 and 2013, found that these kinds of incidents were happening more and more recently. The first seven years of the study found an average of 6.4 active shootings per year, while the last seven years of the study found that number jumped up to 16.4 incidents per year.

    Another very interesting read including a chart showing far more shootings since 2006 than I found.

    USA TODAY | BEHIND THE BLOODSHED: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICA?S MASS KILLINGS
    Media coverage of these events is increasing.

  4. #604
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,001

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Media coverage of these events is increasing.
    Whether you like mother jones or not, can you dispute any of the shootings that have taken place that are posted on that site? There is nothing to refute the data provided.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #605
    Living in Gods country



    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,994

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    I dunno, but it isn't because we allow people to defend themselves. Besides, it ain't peaches and cream everywhere else. Can you say "Charlie Hebdo"?
    Racial problems, high incarceration rate, poverty levels above OECD averages.
    Homicide rate of aprox 15 k per year.
    That balances against Charlie now don’t it?
    I can come up with more if needed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  6. #606
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    169,961

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Media coverage of these events is increasing.
    when Patrick Purdy shot down kids (and created the massacre Josh Sugarmann was praying for) in Stockton, we were just starting to get 24/7 news coverage and internet blogs. when Charles Whitman shot a bunch of people out of the texas tower-no such media.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  7. #607
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    169,961

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Whether you like mother jones or not, can you dispute any of the shootings that have taken place that are posted on that site? There is nothing to refute the data provided.
    there is evidence to contradict the claim that "mass shootings" or killings are increasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  8. #608
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,001

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there is evidence to contradict the claim that "mass shootings" or killings are increasing.
    Is there? I haven't seen it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it. The number of dead, the number of shootings seems pretty clear cut to me regardless of the source. Now I don't think you can convince me the shootings listed didnt happen, so the only other option would be to find dozens of mass murders that took place and were covered up.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #609
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,001

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there is evidence to contradict the claim that "mass shootings" or killings are increasing.
    Or is the evidence you are thinking pointing to overall violent crime rates, or murder rates are down? I recently found that those are true. overall murders are down, but mass shootings are up from what i found.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #610
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,001

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    One nice thing about being well read is the ability to spot flawed inferences a mile away. Next time dont make things up, it looks bad.

    Associated Press Story: Believe It or Not Mass Killings Are Not on the Rise, They Are on the Decline | TheBlaze.com

    Mass shootings actually in decline in U.S., despite perception | World | News |
    From your article.

    His research has found while there were few such mass public shootings in the U.S. before the 1960s, the numbers have declined since the 1990s. America averages three or four cases a year since the 1980s.
    This statement from your article is completely misleading. Completely. There is no data (that I have found) showing any decline in mass shootings. The 3-4 mass shootings per year in the US is probably accurate since the 80's but that is not what we are talking about. During the 80's the US was experiencing less than 2 per year. Since 2010 we are averaging over 4 per year. Down playing it by stating the 3-4 per year does not mean it was less unless during the 80's and 90's there were actually fewer than that.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •