Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #521
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,458

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    For some people, the idea of being suddenly subject to violence is a matter of theory and math.


    To others, it is simply a reality they've experienced and know about first hand. Once you realize it can happen anytime, anywhere, and is no respecter of persons or places, all those theoretical assumptions and stats become less important than what you KNOW can and does happen.

    For me it isn't about theory or odds. I've seen the elephant and while he may be rare, when he does show up he's an SOB.
    Carrying a gun may not be about theory or odds, but (to avoid making this personal) I'm quite sure the vast majority of those who carry firearms make more dangerous choices than going unarmed every day and ignore the risks. Just one example, those who drink to excess, smoke, are overweight, and/or get no real exercise are far more likely to die of disease caused by that than a 'bad guy' in most areas of the U.S. and certainly the risks are 100s or 1000s of times higher than getting attacked at church.

    Or to put this another way, this all started with some incredible idiot at NRA making comments about carrying guns in churches. But I'm 100% positive that same guy would oppose new OSHA regs addressing remote risks in the work place, or EPA issuing new regs for cleaner air that MIGHT save 500 lives per year, but he wants everyone to go armed at church. It only makes sense because he works for the marketing arm of the gun manufacturers and fear sells lots of guns, i.e. he is for addressing remote risks at church with a GUN because his clients sell guns. But if addressing remote risks costs his clients or other interest groups that support the GOP money, I'd bet any amount he'll oppose them, and no one would take the bet on the other side.

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Heck I got called "boy" the other day, by an older lady, and I'm pushing 50.


    When I was 20 it would have pissed me off.... now I smiled the entire rest of the day.


    It's a Southern thing y'all...
    It appears to be age based-if you are older that is. I had a patient who was pushing 100, she called her 70 year old son boy.

  3. #523
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    12-09-16 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Carrying a gun may not be about theory or odds, but (to avoid making this personal) I'm quite sure the vast majority of those who carry firearms make more dangerous choices than going unarmed every day and ignore the risks. Just one example, those who drink to excess, smoke, are overweight, and/or get no real exercise are far more likely to die of disease caused by that than a 'bad guy' in most areas of the U.S. and certainly the risks are 100s or 1000s of times higher than getting attacked at church.

    Or to put this another way, this all started with some incredible idiot at NRA making comments about carrying guns in churches. But I'm 100% positive that same guy would oppose new OSHA regs addressing remote risks in the work place, or EPA issuing new regs for cleaner air that MIGHT save 500 lives per year, but he wants everyone to go armed at church. It only makes sense because he works for the marketing arm of the gun manufacturers and fear sells lots of guns, i.e. he is for addressing remote risks at church with a GUN because his clients sell guns. But if addressing remote risks costs his clients or other interest groups that support the GOP money, I'd bet any amount he'll oppose them, and no one would take the bet on the other side.
    Very true...NRA has bought many politicians...both sides.

    http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...re-pocket-nra/

  4. #524
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,510

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Carrying a gun may not be about theory or odds, but (to avoid making this personal) I'm quite sure the vast majority of those who carry firearms make more dangerous choices than going unarmed every day and ignore the risks. Just one example, those who drink to excess, smoke, are overweight, and/or get no real exercise are far more likely to die of disease caused by that than a 'bad guy' in most areas of the U.S. and certainly the risks are 100s or 1000s of times higher than getting attacked at church.

    Or to put this another way, this all started with some incredible idiot at NRA making comments about carrying guns in churches. But I'm 100% positive that same guy would oppose new OSHA regs addressing remote risks in the work place, or EPA issuing new regs for cleaner air that MIGHT save 500 lives per year, but he wants everyone to go armed at church. It only makes sense because he works for the marketing arm of the gun manufacturers and fear sells lots of guns, i.e. he is for addressing remote risks at church with a GUN because his clients sell guns. But if addressing remote risks costs his clients or other interest groups that support the GOP money, I'd bet any amount he'll oppose them, and no one would take the bet on the other side.
    no it started with an incredible idiot in the White House wanting to use this massacre to push his failed jihad against the NRA and gun owners again.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  5. #525
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    12-09-16 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    What states would those be?
    31 States allow for open carry..without a permit or license. This means you can carry openly, with a gun visibly seen.

    Map: Where Is ‘Open Carry’ Legal? - The Numbers - WSJ

  6. #526
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,458

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    spare me the BS. you cannot speak for most churchgoers so cut the crap. If someone packing is going to cause you psychiatric issues so be it. but don't speak for others.
    Goodness, I guess you don't have an actual argument so resort to ad hominems. And you've been speaking for others this entire thread, several times saying you don't believe some of us even HOLD different opinions than you do.

    and GOD help you if one day you leave your alleged gun at home and some guy comes walking in your church and decides to pull a Loughner on the congregation
    "Alleged gun" - nice! Would you like me to list them for you and provide pictures?

    And if we're going to go down the dishonest hack argument route, GOD help YOU when you get in a car wreck without 4 point restraints and a helmet on. Because I'm sure that driving to church is 1,000s of times riskier than "a Loughner" in any church.

    BTW, we had "a Loughner" in my area. Crazy right winger shot up the local Unitarian Church, liberals you know.... You can find a wiki article about it if you want. What saved the congregation from more killing was some brave members tackling him and restraining him. No guns needed.
    Last edited by JasperL; 06-21-15 at 10:13 PM.

  7. #527
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,458

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    no it started with an incredible idiot in the White House wanting to use this massacre to push his failed jihad against the NRA and gun owners again.
    Reread the title of this thread and the OP. "NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths."

  8. #528
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,894

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    31 States allow for open carry..without a permit or license. This means you can carry openly, with a gun visibly seen.

    Map: Where Is ‘Open Carry’ Legal? - The Numbers - WSJ
    Thank you, Nursemate. But he said, the three safest states in the country all permit open carry with no license" and I was wondering what those states were.

  9. #529
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,629

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    What states would those be?
    The three northern New England States, Vermont, NH, and Maine. Also VT allows concealed carry with no license and Maine passed a bill to allow CC with no license which only needs to be reconciled with the budget before it becomes law, NH passed a similar law but their governor plans to veto

    EDIT FOR SOURCE

    US CENSUS BUREAU CRIME TOTALS
    http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0308.pdf

    You have to look at each states data, but the three lowest are the ones I said
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  10. #530
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,423

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    You do not know if it would have made a dammed difference.
    I know these nine people are dead. As the NRA board member so indelicately noted, they might be alive today if someone had used a weapon to defend them.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    And your point is- Weapons carried everywhere?
    If a police force and army armed with fully-automatic SIG assault rifles is good enough for the Pope at the Vatican, it should be good enough for everyone else, but practical people should take whatever they can get.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Do not take this personally – The rest of the developed world just does not get America’s love affair with weapons.
    In the rest of the developed world, only the rich, politicians, and other notable dignitaries are worthy of the protection offered by firearms, while the peons are left to fend for themselves.
    Нава́льный 2018

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •