Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #31
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The NRA guy should do the same thing anti-gun people should do at a time like this. Enjoy a nice tall glass of shut the **** up.
    No kidding, stuff like this is why I left the NRA. They need to learn a better strategy, I recommend everyone quit the NRA and join Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    147,296

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I can't agree with that, the law should not require people who are not police officers to affirmatively stop a crime.
    I don't think that's what LMR was meaning. I think what he meant was that if the shooter told someone that he was going to do this, the person he told should have informed authorities.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #33
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I can't agree with that, the law should not require people who are not police officers to affirmatively stop a crime.
    While I don't think they should be required to intervene physically(I would never advocate that). I think if someone has knowledge of prior intent and they do nothing, they should at least have some culpability. It may have been harsh to advocate accomplice charges because that would require a participation, there should be some minimal liability if a person has intimate knowledge of ill intent and says nothing until it is too late. In a lot of these mass murders, someone knew something and did nothing, there has to be some consequence to that IMO.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #34
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I agree. I fully support responsible gun ownership and usage. That is not what this was. If we want to go the "common sense" route, anyone, pro-gun or anti-gun should be able to see this for what it was. Supporting the 2A had nothing to do with this incident, nor did choosing not to own a gun.
    Exactly right. The church had every expectation of safety here, they shouldn't have felt the need to carry to worship. This little prick decided on his own to "start a race war", and killed innocents in cold blood, there is nothing lower than what this little coward did.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #35
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I don't think that's what LMR was meaning. I think what he meant was that if the shooter told someone that he was going to do this, the person he told should have informed authorities.
    At least let them know "hey, person X mentioned he was thinking about.....". At least at that point the authorities have been notified and the proper precautions can be taken. if nothing else we erred on the side of caution. If the person was just talking big, no big deal. If that person was considering acting on the threat, then it can be stopped.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #36
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I've carried a gun in church before. No different then the grocery store or the national forest or what have you.

    I'm in neither a skin head not a militia member (actually under Washington law as a male citizen adult I technically am a member of the unorganized militia but still) I'm not even a republican, and I was a member for some time
    I am sorry, but I think if we have to start carrying a gun in church...our society has decayed beyond repair. My husband and I own a gun and are members of a gun club. We like target shooting and once a month go to "Date Night" at the range. It never crosses my mind to take the gun shopping or anywhere other than the range. I hope I never become so paranoid, I feel the need to carry at the grocery store. That would scare me.

  7. #37
    Professor
    Occam's Razor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    No. There is no-one to blame for this other than the one pulling the trigger, and to a somewhat lesser extent those who knew and failed to stop him, those who taught him to hate, and those who believe the same things he does. There is no way no know, there is no reason to believe that any of those 9 people would have been carrying or if one of them was that it would have made a difference.
    I disagree, vehemently. There is no one other than this man who is responsible for his decision to act, that is true. However, I would say the blame for what allowed this "man" (kid) to reach a level of hatred, failure to know right from wrong, slipping through the cracks.. Is far heavier on the culture, than the kid.

    Especially when we see it again and again. Columbine, Boston, sandy hook, the batman shooter, Oklahoma... These are all young kids, most of them white, most from middle class, most of them AMERICANS BORN IN THIS COUNTRY.

    Why does this keep happening? Because we have a broken culture. We have broken families, broken, fractured communities... We value time with fake people leading fake lives through idiot boxes far more than connecting with family, neighbors, and community.

    If this happened once ever few years or less, if gang violence weren't also a daily occurrence, then I would agree... The kids are mostly to blame. But that's not the case. We all share the burden of creating a culture that glorifies war, mobster/gangsta, desensitized to murder/death/violence, disaffected, disenfranchised, fewer and fewer opportunities each year...

    Nope... At some point we will have to start letting ourselves off the hook and realize that healthy societies require work and active participation from everyone... Not a nation of self sequestered (idiot box), self interested, self serving, chase the buck at all costs, finger pointers.
    Spin Proof

  8. #38
    User KeeKee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-11-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    123

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Even if authorities knew would they have been following him that night? Did he say something just before he went out to do this? From what I have seen he did say things over time so how would you know just when he was going to stop talking and start shooting?
    Too many what if's.

    As someone above said the NRA is nothing but a lobbying group for the gun manufactures. I think they look for ways to blame the victims to try to convince other people to buy more guns. Seems it works quite well even if it is disgusting.

    I live with a gun collector and own my own pistol but I'm not going to carry it everywhere I go.
    May all beings give and receive compassion, Live free from fear, And dwell in peace. - author unknown

  9. #39
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Cotton might be "insensitive" and a "monster," but he's got a point: Another mass shooting in a "gun free zone."
    I get the point, but I do not agree. Even if it was kosher to carry in church, few people do, too few to count on one being present any given day

    Also this type of violence is very rare, even though the media will pith it for ratings, fact is, church and school and theaters are way to safe statistically for that to be a valid argument
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  10. #40
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,369

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    It was only a matter of time before somebody on the right figured out a way to blame the black people involved in this. The judge opened up the hearing today by first expressing sympathy for the shooter's family. That should give you some insight on how this is gonna go down. I wouldn't be surprised if by next week we hear that Roof had a really tough childhood.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-20-15 at 04:05 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •