Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #361
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,303
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    The NRA is the most vile and disgusting organization in this country. Who in the hell wants to carry a gun to worship in church and how could anyone suggest that. They use every tragic event to promote their insane ideology. This group appeals to militia idiots and skin heads.
    As the shooting shows evil can happen anywhere. I CC into my church.

  2. #362
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,485

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    You're jumping into the middle of a longer discussion. Obviously in context the "miscomparing" was in response to Turtle, who compared having a fire extinguisher versus a gun in a dang church. It's apples and dump trucks comparison - they are NOTHING alike. Not in the risk of the event they protect against or the risk of the protection itself.

    And I don't really care all that much about your gun carrying history in this context. Obviously if you've been doing it for 30 years, you're probably well trained, competent, responsible, etc. Not everyone is like you. As I've said, I've seen MANY accidental discharges, and it's just luck the only injury was a guy who blew off the back of his own ankle. I accept those risks hunting or shooting targets because loaded guns and a mix of expertise of those handling them are integral to the activities.

    Any idiot with that can read at the first grade level can pass the exam to carry, and for all I know he's carried a gun for a week. If you allow guns into a church, that means you AND those idiots with a week of experience who might show up still drunk from the night before, or are whack jobs, etc. How am I supposed to tell him from you? If I know you, and I'm sitting next to you in church or anywhere else there's probably little worry. But that tells me nothing about some stranger who comes in who I've never met. There's no good reason to trust that a random stranger knows what he's doing, or that his wife's gun in her purse can't be pulled out by her kids while she's taking communion.

    The point is there is no reason for someone worshipping to spend one SECOND worrying about that to prevent something about 15 times less likely than getting struck by lightning, 0.0000001% or so. If I thought I needed protection every day from events of that likelihood, I'd wear a helmet into the dang shower, and nearly all the rest of the time not sitting at my desk. Instead I just wear one while biking on the road....
    your argument against guns in churches is an argument against guns in any public place

    so you are against people CCW i take it
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  3. #363
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,181

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You are projecting your delusions. This does not happen. Concealed carry owners are quite safe and a net benefit on society. You have probably interacted with plenty and never known it-thats the idea.

    Its an almost cartoon-like scenario you have running through your head.
    I don't think so. Go back and research it. Even the Old West had rules in place at the time that required people to hand over their guns in certain situations, i.e., when entering a bar. Why did they do it? To reduce the level of gun violence and, thus, prevent people who would use guns irresponsibly from acting irresponsibly.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  4. #364
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    82,184

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    By seeking to take away their ability to protect themselves with the guns they would use if they HAD them.

    Do I need to link to the testimony of that texas congresswoman who didn't bring her gun into a restaurant because of feel-good gun laws that you support?
    She could have stopped the gunman, instead she watched her parents executions.
    shoulda coulda woulda ..... right.

    How does being against open carry deprive anyone of the right to be armed and protect themselves?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    I hear what you are saying loud and clear...but you do not live in a society where one side get's their way all the time. We live in a society of all sorts of people with different beliefs about their personal safety. The problem lies, we cannot distinguish the kook from the responsible gun owner and it frightens people. I care about whether I am scary to others who live in society with me. No one has ever said anything about banning guns...they are a big part of our economy and ingrained in our culture. No one even wants them banned. We just need to be able to talk about solutions to problems as they arise without it getting hostile and unreasonable. Organizations like the NRA stir people up and place a barrier between reasonable conversation. When kooks and criminals outnumber the good folks, then I would consider walking around strapped. The "rambo" spirit must stop. It is embarrassing gun owners like me. I could never get my CC because I am subjected to background checks every year and would be ashamed to defend it because I may be lumped into the Ted Nugent or extremist mindset of gun owners. Responsible gun owners are participatory in gun violence solutions, not start immediately screaming "gun grabber" and shut down. These folks are disturbing..
    We live in relatively free and open society, there will always be people who get past mental health screens. In school I did a 3 month rotation in mental health and patients on 5150's were released ALL THE TIME, as long as they did not meet the criteria for detainment. These people are out there, and many of these shooters are young men who aren't even part of the mental health system at the time they commit these crimes. Thats not going to change.

    At the same time, more restrictive societies/nations have the same issues-sometimes with different weapons, sometimes with the same-but the common thread is that they have psych issues-following the law is not on the radar.

    You want to talk about solutions? We can only do that when we admit reality-that these things will be a problem as long as society exists. Beyond that-CCW decreases both the odds of attacks and the death toll when they are committed. The data also shows that the biggest factor in stopping these attacks is getting someone with a gun to the scene as soon as possible-because when confronted these shooters almost always kill themselves or surrender-which stops the attack.

    Try to divorce yourself from emotion and politics and think about this from an epidemiological point of view. Thats how we solve these problems, not attacking honest law abiding citizens as "gun nuts" (which, by the lefts definition includes YOU).

  6. #366
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,181

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It's not just 'for the sake of having a gun'.


    It's for defending self, family and fellow members if some looney shows up.... as just happened in Charleston.

    It's for protection coming and going and wherever else you might stop coming and going.

    It's a serious matter, not simply a whim, for the vast majority of us.

    People who get CCWs without being serious about it tend to carry for a few weeks and then stop, because it is a bit of a bother. The ones who carry all the time long term are carrying because they have reasons to believe it is a necessary component of their security.

    Like me.
    I can respect that. Perhaps you should become deputized if you haven't already done so.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 06-21-15 at 03:51 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #367
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    58,111

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I don't think so. Go back and research it. Even the Old West had rules in place at the time that required people to hand over their guns in certain situations, i.e., when entering a bar. Why did they do it? To reduce the level of gun violence and, thus, prevent people who would use guns irresponsibly from acting irresponsibly.
    Incidentally, a lot of people were killed in bars even with that policy in place.

  8. #368
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why do people have to agree to gun control measures to be open to solutions?
    You dont. And not just on an ideological level but because of the data. But every time one of these events happens, like a herd of lemmings we hear people say exactly that.

    This tells me at no point have they read up on the problem, let alone understand it.

  9. #369
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,371

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No doubt Goshin can shoot but so can I. I regularly out shoot my LEO friends.

    Why should my safety be compromised?

    Could someone else be harmed in me defending myself? Yes. Same for cops.

    Is that even more rare than the odds of needing to defend myself? Yes.

    The fact is in over 90% of cases just showing a gun will end the attack and in a mass shooting-lets just say there are bigger risks, like the guy walking around shooting people in the face.


    Yessir. I've been a cop, and I'll tell you plainly about half of them are middling-to-crappy gunhandlers and fair-to-mediocre shots.

    OTOH I've also taught defensive handgunning classes to civilians, and in general found them certainly no worse than the average run of police ofcs. Many of them spend more time shooting on the range than the average cop too.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #370
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    You do have a point...the CC carriers are subjected to thorough back ground checks and have to demonstrate competency. They, for the most part are safe gun owners. They conceal it and don't strut around like wanna be tough guys. A true respectable gun owner will never tell you if they are carrying or not. They don't find it something to brag about.
    Its not about bragging or being a tough guy. Its about protecting yourself. Im applying for a CCW after several incidences where patients have approached me for narcotics prescriptions outside of the office. I have drug seekers in parking lots, and grocery stores coming up to me.

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •