Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #251
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-18-17 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I'm not afraid of guns in the least. I own several, handguns, rifles, shotguns. Been shooting firearms since I was a child, and still do.

    But in part because I've been around guns my whole life, I also do not pretend that they don't pose a risk. I've seen a guy in a dove field blow off the back off his ankle when he dropped his shotgun, I've been in a duck blind where the guy sitting next to me blew a hole in the blind across the guy on the end's leg, my brother took an "unloaded" .44 mag, pointed it at the head of our dog, moved it away at the last second, and blew a hole in the wall, three other times hunting I've seen people accidentally discharge their weapon, thankfully into the air. And that doesn't count the other times shooting skeet or trap when a gun accidentally discharged pointing down range - add 3 or 4 more.

    So unless there is a reason for you to have a gun on your hip in my house, I don't want to have to worry one second whether you're an idiot or will do an idiot thing with that weapon in my house.

    I think the problem is if you're being truthful, you've been trained to handle a firearm. Great, I admire that - seriously. But any yahoo who can print his name, and read it back, can get a carry permit, so I actually do not assume that people carrying firearms do know what they're doing. And I don't want to have to worry about those idiots in church of all places.



    ????



    See above. I have five guns within 20 feet of me as I type this.

    And if you carry a gun into my church, you're demanding that I in many ways conform to your values.
    Absolutely!! There is a time and place for everything. Church is a peaceful place, or at least it should be. I was raised around guns my whole life too. My Dad is a avid collector, I have never once heard him makes statements about taking someones life in defense. He considers his guns tools and I consider my gun sporting equipment and have never thought of using it to scare, intimidate, or kill someone. A good solution, other than terrorizing a peaceful place with open carry...are metal detectors mandated for every public gathering place with security personnel. We are creating a sad and paranoid world with our own opinions and thoughts about guns...to think that people are carrying guns in church, will drive the decent, and sane people out of these places and rightfully so. These attitudes are making me personally ashamed of owning a gun. To be lumped into the "wild wild west" gun owners is embarrassing...kind of like "wife of Ted Nugent". LOL Most of my friends do not even know I own one. I don't sit around bragging about what would do to someone if they broke into my house. Those who do this are classless and tasteless. Those who make these kinds of statements give the impression they are just as barbaric as the criminals who murder.

  2. #252
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,699

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    Absolutely!! There is a time and place for everything. Church is a peaceful place, or at least it should be. I was raised around guns my whole life too. My Dad is a avid collector, I have never once heard him makes statements about taking someones life in defense. He considers his guns tools and I consider my gun sporting equipment and have never thought of using it to scare, intimidate, or kill someone. A good solution, other than terrorizing a peaceful place with open carry...are metal detectors mandated for every public gathering place with security personnel. We are creating a sad and paranoid world with our own opinions and thoughts about guns...to think that people are carrying guns in church, will drive the decent, and sane people out of these places and rightfully so. These attitudes are making me personally ashamed of owning a gun. To be lumped into the "wild wild west" gun owners is embarrassing...kind of like "wife of Ted Nugent". LOL Most of my friends do not even know I own one. I don't sit around bragging about what would do to someone if they broke into my house. Those who do this are classless and tasteless. Those who make these kinds of statements give the impression they are just as barbaric as the criminals who murder.
    LOL this is hilarious. yeah metal detectors at churches. so if someone is packing what happens without an armed guard or armed parishioners

    so you are going to not go to church if you found out that the guy two rows down is packing

    what about him being in a church makes him different than if he is at the mall or at a restaurant with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  3. #253
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-18-17 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    LOL this is hilarious. yeah metal detectors at churches. so if someone is packing what happens without an armed guard or armed parishioners

    so you are going to not go to church if you found out that the guy two rows down is packing

    what about him being in a church makes him different than if he is at the mall or at a restaurant with you?
    It is not hilarious...it is a sad state of affairs that this country has arrived too. I felt that sadness when we had to install metal detectors in our schools and watch the students pass through them every mornings. It is necessary, but sad that our children have to be reminded of violence first thing in the morning before their learning even begins.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And to take this to its eventual conclusion - do people really want to live in society where nearly everyone is armed in all sorts of places doing all sorts of things all the time? Is that progress or regression back to the wilds of some communities in the 1800's ..... at least in myth or fiction of the old west?
    An armed society is a polite society. And its not that people WANT to carry, its merely a recognition of reality-the cops likely wont be there to protect you when you need them. Just as having health insurance does not mean you want to be sick, or car insurance meaning you want to be in a crash.

  5. #255
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,699

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    It is not hilarious...it is a sad state of affairs that this country has arrived too. I felt that sadness when we had to install metal detectors in our schools and watch the students pass through them every mornings. It is necessary, but sad that our children have to be reminded of violence first thing in the morning before their learning even begins.
    so what happens if someone packing a gun lights up the metal detector?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  6. #256
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-18-17 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so what happens if someone packing a gun lights up the metal detector?
    Send them home. Same as you would anyone else if they break the rule of "no weapons permitted".

  7. #257
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    166,699

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    Send them home. Same as you would anyone else if they break the rule of "no weapons permitted".
    and if they are coming there to shoot and kill-I guess being told to come home will stop that
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  8. #258
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-18-17 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You think the NRA is worse than NAMBLA? Could there be just a bit of hyperbole in your statement?
    I had to look up NAMBLA....and you accuse me of hyperbole...LOL. How stupid of a post. I did not know anything about this organization. How does it even fit into this discussion? WOW...

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    It is not hilarious...it is a sad state of affairs that this country has arrived too. I felt that sadness when we had to install metal detectors in our schools and watch the students pass through them every mornings. It is necessary, but sad that our children have to be reminded of violence first thing in the morning before their learning even begins.
    The unfortunate fact is that shootings can happen anywhere. That includes places of worship-anywhere people are gathered. They are less likely to be stopped if there is a delay in getting armed individuals to the shooter. These are facts, regardless of how you feel about them.

    Now if you, or anyone else makes the decision not to carry, or to allow concealed carry-fine. My problem is in making value judgement against others to wish to protect themselves, or seeking legislation to prevent them from doing so.

    You said your dad had guns, if someone had broken into your home with a knife growing up do you think he would have used it to protect his family?
    You say you have a gun, if the same happened to you-and the cops were minutes away when seconds count-would you use your gun?

  10. #260
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,449

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what about him being in a church makes him different than if he is at the mall or at a restaurant with you?
    You can throw french fries or Gucci bags at him in a restaurant or mall. In a church you can pray him to death.
    Нава́льный 2018

Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •