Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #211
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,642
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well it's now coming out the parents didn't actually buy him a gun,
    they have him a few hundred bucks for his birthday and he bought it at a sporting goods store
    , evidentially the charges for felony drug possession weren't reported to NICS so he passed the background check


    I'm going to guess that they don't have a few hundred thousand dollars to pay for his attorneys.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,283

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Its happened recently. Remember the Islamic idiots that tried to shoot up the muhammad drawing contest? How many did they kill? ZERO.
    The police and the armed guards were expecting an attack. How often does that happen?


    Another one...in Oklahoma....another muslim POS was beheading people at a business and one of the managers shot the guy before he could kill anyone else.
    It was lucky that an Oklahoma Reserve Officer was on the scene and knew exactly what to do. The same happened at Trolley Square Mall in SLC where an off duty officer stopped a shooting spree as well. But that's just having the right person being in the right place at the right time. Columbine had armed guards present and they couldn't prevent a killing spree even after more cops showed up.


    Oregon mall shooting....good guy didnt even have to fire a shot...merely his presence caused the shooter to kill himself instead of more innocent people.
    The good guy was pretty shook up over it, too. But the shooter dropped most of his ammo and his gun jammed so it's debatable whether it was the good guys actions that caused the bad guy to run off and kill himself. But still, I'm glad he was there to take him out if he had to.

  3. #213
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,549

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't go into homes of people who are afraid of guns. guns don't kill anyone
    I'm not afraid of guns in the least. I own several, handguns, rifles, shotguns. Been shooting firearms since I was a child, and still do.

    But in part because I've been around guns my whole life, I also do not pretend that they don't pose a risk. I've seen a guy in a dove field blow off the back off his ankle when he dropped his shotgun, I've been in a duck blind where the guy sitting next to me blew a hole in the blind across the guy on the end's leg, my brother took an "unloaded" .44 mag, pointed it at the head of our dog, moved it away at the last second, and blew a hole in the wall, three other times hunting I've seen people accidentally discharge their weapon, thankfully into the air. And that doesn't count the other times shooting skeet or trap when a gun accidentally discharged pointing down range - add 3 or 4 more.

    So unless there is a reason for you to have a gun on your hip in my house, I don't want to have to worry one second whether you're an idiot or will do an idiot thing with that weapon in my house.

    I think the problem is if you're being truthful, you've been trained to handle a firearm. Great, I admire that - seriously. But any yahoo who can print his name, and read it back, can get a carry permit, so I actually do not assume that people carrying firearms do know what they're doing. And I don't want to have to worry about those idiots in church of all places.

    its people using guns to fire bullets into other people or themselves. most killings are suicides btw or criminals killing criminals
    ????

    the fact is-you are afraid of guns-dont own one-unlike you, I don't tell you that you have to conform to my values. I will keep my guns but I won't force you to own one.
    See above. I have five guns within 20 feet of me as I type this.

    And if you carry a gun into my church, you're demanding that I in many ways conform to your values.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 12:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    This person had a history of mental illness, as these shooters typically are.
    Sunshine and rainbows would not have changed that.
    Drop the ridiculous hyperbole, it doesn't fly with me. Not saying anything about sunshine and rainbows. I'm saying mental illness is common. Lots of people suffer from one form or another. Lots of kids exactly like this one suffering exactly the same illness... That don't shoot people. Why? Because the have the family support structures, access to health care, guidance, etc.

    Thats not sunshine and rainbows... It's hard freakin work.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,283

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Sometimes it works (lanza), sometimes it does not. There are no slam dunks here-nothing is certain.

    I wish we lived in a world where these things were certain to be stopped-we dont.

    So I will support what does the best to mitigate such things.

    That starts with guns on scene long before the police.
    Having guns always present usually just results in injury or death from accidental shootings. I'll bet there are lot more of those than there are mass murders or homicides.

  6. #216
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20,549

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    your failure is thinking those who legally have a gun and know how to use it are statistically a source of problems. that is not true.
    As I said above, you must assume that because you 'know how to use it' that others do. I don't make that assumption. And in a place as statistically as safe as a church, there is no reason for anyone, rational or irrational, to worry whether you do or don't know what you're doing. Worry whether your child will take it out of your wife's purse, and shoot me, you'll leave it on the back of the toilet, drop it, etc.

    you are unaware of the fact that years ago-in some Eastern states, the only way you could own a pistol and take it out of your house was to have such a permit
    OK, I guess, but so what?

    and when you call such people "tin foil wearers" you prove what I have said about gun restrictionists or gun haters
    It was sarcasm. I don't believe your story that almost everyone in any area had carry permits or that it was why some area was safe from violent crime for 30 years. Criminals are typically very stupid people, as you know. That they knew this and accounted for it defies logic.

    its not crime you despise nor criminals, its people who own guns and don't tend to vote the same way you do
    Holy strawman Batman!! It's late and this discussion is deteriorating. I'll pass further comment tonight.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    Drop the ridiculous hyperbole, it doesn't fly with me. Not saying anything about sunshine and rainbows. I'm saying mental illness is common. Lots of people suffer from one form or another. Lots of kids exactly like this one suffering exactly the same illness... That don't shoot people. Why? Because the have the family support structures, access to health care, guidance, etc.

    Thats not sunshine and rainbows... It's hard freakin work.
    Not everyone will have the optimum treatments, and even if they did-some will still occasionally do things like this. Its not common, but then again neither are these shootings.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Having guns always present usually just results in injury or death from accidental shootings.
    Simply untrue. If it was, the police and military wouldn't use guns, and there would be hundreds of thousands injured when they legally protect themselves with guns each year.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,283

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Simply untrue. If it was, the police and military wouldn't use guns, and there would be hundreds of thousands injured when they legally protect themselves with guns each year.
    Not everyone with a gun has police or military training either.

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Not everyone with a gun has police or military training either.
    And yet mt point stands.

Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •