Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 670

Thread: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

  1. #171
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,509

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Why would anyone think it's ok to bring a gun to church??
    why would anyone think its wrong ?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,449

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that seems to be a bit of hyperbole. the killer is responsible but disarmed victims are easier to kill. we saw lots of lefties blame Adam Lanza's mom for the sandy hook murders as well.

    Pond scum-LOL. the fact is, people who don't like the NRA are going to pretend what this guy said was horrible, those who find victim disarmament zones to be silly are going to note that this is another case where the body count was higher than it should have been if someone had been able to legally carry
    What you're assuming is that it was 1) legal, 2) someone was paranoid enough to take a gun to Bible study, 3) was qualified to use the gun in a crowd, 4) took out the shooter before the shooter killed him or her. A further assumption is that having armed people at 55 million gatherings a year has no downside, no accidents, no one left their gun on the toilet and a kid found it, no one accidentally discharged it during services and shot someone in the back, etc.

    So the odds are very, very, very high (99.999%?) that the AME authorizing legal gun carry changes absolutely nothing at all.

    And if the response is, well, if someone HAD a gun and WAS trained, and COULD reliably kill an active shooter in that situation, then 9 lives could have been saved. Sure, and if they'd just banned white people who do almost all mass shootings in the U.S. they'd also have been fine. So let's just say that black churches ban crackers from attending? Nine people would still be alive!

  3. #173
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,509

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Might? With the least likely possibility. I think far fetched is not strong enough a term. Do you agree the that Cotton put the blame squarely on the pastor, without equivocation?
    not playing that game Gina. The killer was the cause of the deaths. Obama blaming our gun rights as a response was IMHO worse than the NRA guy blaming the pastor for creating a gun free zone. I'd be curious to know if any of those killed would have carried if the pastor had allowed it. If not, the entire argument is moot and stupid and the NRA guy would have no merit to his argument as to this massacre
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  4. #174
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,484

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I found more of his statement here:

    Charleston shootings: NRA blames victims as reactions echo Newtown | US news | The Guardian


    That makes it more than speculative.

    I take issue with the one comment on its own. "Might" is not a fair comment when speaking of another person's responsibility in the deaths of others in which he did not pull the trigger himself.
    Even though I am a gun owner and a very strong 2nd amendment advocate I do not carry at services readily. While there is a biblical passage in which Jesus himself instructs the disciples to carry a sword for self defense, his overall message was love and IMO one shouldn't feel the need to carry a weapon in church, defiling a holy place in and of itself is disgusting, but taking it to a further level of murdering the innocent and even in the name of prejudicial hatred is a level of evil on an almost indescribable scale.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #175
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,509

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    What you're assuming is that it was 1) legal, 2) someone was paranoid enough to take a gun to Bible study, 3) was qualified to use the gun in a crowd, 4) took out the shooter before the shooter killed him or her. A further assumption is that having armed people at 55 million gatherings a year has no downside, no accidents, no one left their gun on the toilet and a kid found it, no one accidentally discharged it during services and shot someone in the back, etc.

    So the odds are very, very, very high (99.999%?) that the AME authorizing legal gun carry changes absolutely nothing at all.

    And if the response is, well, if someone HAD a gun and WAS trained, and COULD reliably kill an active shooter in that situation, then 9 lives could have been saved. Sure, and if they'd just banned white people who do almost all mass shootings in the U.S. they'd also have been fine. So let's just say that black churches ban crackers from attending? Nine people would still be alive!
    you lose all credibility when you start calling someone who carries Paranoid and given the fact this is not the first time a church has been attacked, your argument is both silly and contrary to reality.

    I suspect-given your other posts, that you don't support anyone but cops carrying handguns in public
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  6. #176
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,484

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why would anyone think its wrong ?
    I don't think it's wrong but certainly doesn't jive with my own beliefs. Unfortunately, after this incident I may have to revisit that original stance of mine.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #177
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,509

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Even though I am a gun owner and a very strong 2nd amendment advocate I do not carry at services readily. While there is a biblical passage in which Jesus himself instructs the disciples to carry a sword for self defense, his overall message was love and IMO one shouldn't feel the need to carry a weapon in church, defiling a holy place in and of itself is disgusting, but taking it to a further level of murdering the innocent and even in the name of prejudicial hatred is a level of evil on an almost indescribable scale.

    people shouldn't feel the need to have armed guards or teachers in schools where innocent children are supposed to be safe and able to learn. the fact is scumbag criminals tend to target such areas for the shock effect. trying to think killers are going to share our values is not a particularly wise thing to do. in fact the "more innocent" an area is, the more tempting a target it is to assholes. active shooters don't tend to target gun clubs, biker bars (now rival bikers might), gun stores, cop bars or places where they know lots of tough customers are present.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  8. #178
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,484

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    people shouldn't feel the need to have armed guards or teachers in schools where innocent children are supposed to be safe and able to learn. the fact is scumbag criminals tend to target such areas for the shock effect. trying to think killers are going to share our values is not a particularly wise thing to do. in fact the "more innocent" an area is, the more tempting a target it is to assholes. active shooters don't tend to target gun clubs, biker bars (now rival bikers might), gun stores, cop bars or places where they know lots of tough customers are present.
    Sadly, I came to realize that from even a young age. I never thought I would see a day where multiple attacks on places of worship would be prevalent.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #179
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,867

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    not playing that game Gina. The killer was the cause of the deaths. Obama blaming our gun rights as a response was IMHO worse than the NRA guy blaming the pastor for creating a gun free zone. I'd be curious to know if any of those killed would have carried if the pastor had allowed it. If not, the entire argument is moot and stupid and the NRA guy would have no merit to his argument as to this massacre
    There is no game. The topic Mr. Cotton. He said it.

    Charleston shootings: NRA blames victims as reactions echo Newtown | US news | The Guardian
    “Eight of his church members who might be alive if he had expressly allowed members to carry handguns in church are dead,” Cotton wrote. “Innocent people died because of his position on a political issue.”

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: NRA executive suggests slain Charleston pastor to blame for gun deaths

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why would anyone think its wrong ?
    Because a church is a holy place. Common sense would tell you not to bring a weapon in to God's house.

    I'm not anti-gun in any way, but come on... really?

Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •