Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From Bloomberg.com:



    Obama

    It should be noted that the legislation in question is not a trade agreement. It concerns a process under which a trade agreement would be considered by Congress. In substance, it is similar to a closed rule, as there would be no amendments permitted and it would be subjected to a vote as is. Currently, negotiations remain underway and there is no Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement.

    Heya DS. Corporate America needs to start investing in their own country rather than those overseas. Don't you think?

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya DS. Corporate America needs to start investing in their own country rather than those overseas. Don't you think?
    IMO, investments in becoming more competitive would be helpful in the long-run (R&D, human capital development, etc.). Currently with near zero borrowing costs, its very easy for companies to borrow and then buy back shares. With a reduced number of outstanding shares, Earnings per share (EPS) growth is higher (one can spread each new dollar of earnings over a smaller number of shares). The problem is that this creates the illusion of stronger performance while doing little to improve competitiveness. There is a risk that such policies are actually undermining the long-term competitive positions of some companies, especially in cases where international competitors are becoming stronger rivals.

    As the TPP has not yet been agreed and I've seen no drafts, I'm hesitant to speculate on its terms. As is typically the case, some companies and industries will be "winners" and others won't be. The distribution of the kinds of companies in each position will shape the employment effects.

  3. #13
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya DS. Corporate America needs to start investing in their own country rather than those overseas. Don't you think?
    That would happen if, you know, our corporate tax wasnt the highest in the world.
    "Opportunity does not come knocking. It is usually running down the street, you have to chase and tackle it." - Sheriff David Clarke, Milwaukee County.

  4. #14
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    27,606

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    From Bloomberg.com:



    Obama

    It should be noted that the legislation in question is not a trade agreement. It concerns a process under which a trade agreement would be considered by Congress. In substance, it is similar to a closed rule, as there would be no amendments permitted and it would be subjected to a vote as is. Currently, negotiations remain underway and there is no Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement.
    It will fail in the Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  5. #15
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    27,606

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    At least my guy has got this right...

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    It will fail in the Senate.
    That's a distinct possibility.

  7. #17
    Hates Kittens
    NonoBadDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mountains
    Last Seen
    03-04-17 @ 03:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    15,018
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    I see all the descriptions of what this bill is but I don't see any actual verbage from the proposal. I don't trust any reporter or politician to tell me what something is unless I get to look at it. For me it is a non starter. I am of the belief that most politicians haven't read it and are taking the word of someone that told them what the bill was. To be honest I don't believe any of what I have read about what the bill does or what the bill is. Anyone that would believe all this crap please loan me $1,000.00. I promise that I will owe you for life. I would rather owe someone than screw them out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    We should always be aware and on alert of government over-reach and whittling away of rights....not just when our political party isn't in the Oval Office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm sorry that you feel the need to defame the Americans who voted for Hillary Clinton, and that democratic institutions mean so little to you.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,986

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt
    big ****ing surprise there. looks like congress and Obama can agree on at least one thing : ****ing over the American worker for fun and profit; mostly profit.

  9. #19
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    big ****ing surprise there. looks like congress and Obama can agree on at least one thing : ****ing over the American worker for fun and profit; mostly profit.
    That is why I would like Trump to be POTUS. He doesnt need the position to be wealthy. Hillary NEEDS the Presidency for her wealth....without it her influence ends immediately. The $250k speeches end.

    If Hillary loses, her little time pulling the puppet strings are over. The time of that family screwing with people are over. Stopping the political elite should be the goal of every American.
    "Opportunity does not come knocking. It is usually running down the street, you have to chase and tackle it." - Sheriff David Clarke, Milwaukee County.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama’s Fast-Track Trade Bill Passes House in Second Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    IMO, investments in becoming more competitive would be helpful in the long-run (R&D, human capital development, etc.). Currently with near zero borrowing costs, its very easy for companies to borrow and then buy back shares. With a reduced number of outstanding shares, Earnings per share (EPS) growth is higher (one can spread each new dollar of earnings over a smaller number of shares). The problem is that this creates the illusion of stronger performance while doing little to improve competitiveness. There is a risk that such policies are actually undermining the long-term competitive positions of some companies, especially in cases where international competitors are becoming stronger rivals.

    As the TPP has not yet been agreed and I've seen no drafts, I'm hesitant to speculate on its terms. As is typically the case, some companies and industries will be "winners" and others won't be. The distribution of the kinds of companies in each position will shape the employment effects.

    It is apparent which certain companies will be the winner. Especially those connected to our so called and self alleged Trade Advisors. There is no reason to give any President this special lil privilege.....and never over trade.


    Fast Track set up a system of more than 500 official corporate U.S. trade advisors who have access to secret trade agreement texts and who have set the "U.S." trade agenda whether we have Democratic or Republican presidents.

    Fast Track has only been used 16 times in the history of our nation, often to enact the most controversial of "trade" pacts, such as the NAFTA and the establishment of the WTO. Meanwhile, hundreds of less controversial U.S. trade agreements have been implemented without resort to Fast Track, showing that the extraordinary procedure is not needed to approve trade agreements......snip~

    Fast Track - Presidential Trade Negotiating Authority

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •