Page 38 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1152

Thread: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224:1119]

  1. #371
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    12,322

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Actually violent crime has been trending downward overall for over 40 years. It's just the media hype that makes it seem worse than it is.
    Which is not to say it isn't still a problem, a big problem.

  2. #372
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 02:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    How is he wrong? Gun violence, for whatever reason, is a serious problem in the U.S. I don't know what the solution to it is, but you can't fix a problem until you acknowledge that you have one.
    He is wrong because hes using tragedy to further a radical agenda. No one is arguing that people getting shot isnt a problem (although gun crime is plummeting except in areas where they accuse cops of being racist), but using still-warm dead bodies for political reasons is very, very wrong...and disrespectful to the families and victims quite frankly.
    "Opportunity does not come knocking. It is usually running down the street, you have to chase and tackle it." - Sheriff David Clarke, Milwaukee County.

  3. #373
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,972

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    The Justice Dept. does not need to get involved just so this person can be prosecuted under a hate crime statute, which South Carolina evidently does not have. Let it just be a straight murder prosecution, so there is no doubt that the death penalty is available. Justice demands it for heinous murders like these.

  4. #374
    Dungeon Master
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,009

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    We are discussing a unique individual here, and who knows what's in the twisted mind of a mass murderer?

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...murder-motives
    Bingo! And that is why I'd like to know if he was or has been in counseling, and the types of drugs he has taken, legally and otherwise. Most modern day young mass murderers have been connected to SSRIs or SNRIs. Those drugs can alter personalities, especially young people. The point being so many factors can be involved that we have no earthly idea what caused Roof to act as he did. It is important, however, that we find out.

    I know a bazillion Christians and conservatives and I have yet to know one personally who has mass murdered people.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  5. #375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Out of curiosity, if every single injustice, actual or imagined, against a black person is considered to be a sign of racial antipathy then how are we ever going to overcome this perceived disparity? People no longer seek solutions to racial issues. They only seek to use every incident to press their sociopolitical agenda.
    I do not claim that every single injustice, actual or imagined, against a black person (or any other group) is considered to be a sign of racial antipathy. I don't know of anyone who does. The circumstances need to be evaluated, especially when the act is done by someone with authority such as a cop. Killing a group of black people in a church appears to be a hate crime in this case, but that is not proven yet.

  6. #376
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    37,715

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    He is wrong because hes using tragedy to further a radical agenda. No one is arguing that people getting shot isnt a problem (although gun crime is plummeting except in areas where they accuse cops of being racist), but using still-warm dead bodies for political reasons is very, very wrong...and disrespectful to the families and victims quite frankly.
    How is wanting to curb violence a "radical agenda"?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #377
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    He is wrong because hes using tragedy to further a radical agenda. No one is arguing that people getting shot isnt a problem (although gun crime is plummeting except in areas where they accuse cops of being racist), but using still-warm dead bodies for political reasons is very, very wrong...and disrespectful to the families and victims quite frankly.
    I have heard this before however events like this are only in the news for a few days and then everyone moves onto the next big story. It might not be to everyone's taste but I think this is the perfect time to bring up potential issues, while the fire is still hot.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #378
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    37,715

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    We do have a problem, it's not guns, it's our privatized healthcare system and anti tax ideology. There's almost no resources for mental health issues, and it's not profitable to provide effective mental health care.
    Quite true.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #379
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,298

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Are you ready to accept that HOMICIDAL IDEATION is not a mental illness/decease? Or are we only going with the part of the wiki link that you copied and ignoring that which directly contradicts your WebMD assessment?

    Here it is again: Homicidal ideation is not a disease itself, but may result from other illnesses such as psychosis and delirium. Psychosis, which accounts for 89% of admissions with homicidal ideation in one US study,[3] includes substance induced psychosis (e.g. amphetamine psychosis) and the psychoses related to schizophreniform disorder and schizophrenia. Delirium is often drug induced or secondary to general medical illness(es) (see ICD-10 Chapter V: Mental and behavioural disorders F05).
    You have now taken your SECOND giant step into irony in this discussion. You accused me of basing my argument on something I read in Wikipedia... only to now try and defend your argument using... Wikipedia.

    But it's funny to see you destroying your own argument here. My initial statement was that the shooter had a mental illness, you claimed he wasn't. I showed you that thoughts of homicidal ideation are classified under delirium in ICD-10. Now you have come back to prove me wrong by arguing that homicidal ideation is not mental illness, but rather a symptom of mental illness, meaning that those who present homicidal ideation are mentally ill, 89% of which are due to psychosis and the rest primarily substance induced mental illness.

    So again, as I said, seeing a group of people at a bible study and thinking they were a threat to you worthy of killing you have presented clear evidence of mental illness through the clear display of homicidal ideation.

    Wait, where did I say he was or he wasn't mentally ill? I've said there is no evidence to prove one way or another as of yet. That remains true, don't be stubborn. Admit you made a silly claim and back away.
    So what you are holding out for is some subset of the 11% that are not born of psychosis, and that vast majority of the cases that are clearly born of mental illness are just not good enough for you?

    He told the mostly female Bible study group that he was there to stop them from raping white women... are you ready to accept my diagnosis yet?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #380
    Godwin's Lawyer
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,412

    Re: Police: Multiple Victims in South Carolina church shooting [W:224]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    How is wanting to curb violence a "radical agenda"?
    Because war is peace, ignorance is strength, and slavery is freedom.

Page 38 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •