Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 152

Thread: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

  1. #41
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,668

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    That's not what I got from the article. What I got from the article is that the college's and universities are punishing male students with expulsion without evidence of an actual misconduct/crime happening. Just on the say of the woman. IE: Guilty until proven innocent... and even then still guilty.

    I got your point. Your point is that just because this guy in the OP's article says that he's innocent doesn't mean that he is. And that is true. But without evidence he should be considered innocent. That is the way it is in this country and the way it has been since this country was founded. And we shouldn't follow it just for that though. We should follow that philosophy because otherwise we'll go back to the ages when innocents were thrown into prison or put to death just on the say of someone with power. Claiming something without facts and the truth to back ya up has led to riots before. It's also led to mobs and lynching's. We don't need that in a civilized society.
    This guy is going to be having to explain the facts of this case for the rest of his life.

  2. #42
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,080

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well this approach is not a solution, and convicting the innocent won't reduce rapes.
    Convicting?

    You do realize we're talking about college disciplinary procedures and not criminal trials?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I can see the point kinda went over your heads. My point was the article makes it sound like the beginning is here to start locking people up left and right without convictions or without enough evidence. But thats not true as presented by the data...
    Locking people up?

    The OP is about college disciplinary procedures, not criminal trials

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    We either believe in "innocent until proven guilty", or we don't.
    That's for criminal trials, not college disciplinary procedures
    Last edited by sangha; 06-17-15 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,062

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That's for criminal trials, not college disciplinary procedures
    No. It's for everybody. Our individual mindsets are that we either believe in "innocent until proven guilty", or we don't.
    April Fool's Day is the one day of the year
    that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.

  4. #44
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,080

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No. It's for everybody. Our individual mindsets are that we either believe in "innocent until proven guilty", or we don't.
    I don't know why you would say that when standards much lower than "innocent until proven guilty" are found throughout society. In fact, there is only one place where that "mindset" is put into place on a regular basis (ie criminal trials)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,062

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I don't know why you would say that when standards much lower than "innocent until proven guilty" are found throughout society. In fact, there is only one place where that "mindset" is put into place on a regular basis (ie criminal trials)
    When the topic is a criminal act the standards should be the same regardless who is involved. Why they wouldn't be is brain cell boggling. I addressed this in a previous post in this thread. If you're interested seek that out.
    April Fool's Day is the one day of the year
    that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.

  6. #46
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,080

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    When the topic is a criminal act the standards should be the same regardless who is involved. Why they wouldn't be is brain cell boggling. I addressed this in a previous post in this thread. If you're interested seek that out.
    The topic is college disciplinary actions and they can be whatever the college wants them to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #47
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say | Fox News

    So this is where we are now with college rape cases? WTF?
    Y'know on the one hand, I totally sympathize and if you go back far enough, you'll find post where I totally think that women who behave carelessly deserve much of the blame for their having been treated carelessly, and that date rape without evidence of force, coersion, or hidden drugs, (ie if you took GHB on purpose, got fall down drunk on your own, etc, lady, I got no sympathy for ya'),... all that said......

    On the other hand, if this new-ish threat, (I say new-ish because rape has always been there, but the swing in whose side wins after the encounter is quite new-ish)... if this new-ish threat scares men a bit and causes them to think twice or even three times about their intoxication and their quickness to have un-committed sexual encounters, then that's probably a good thing. Women have to worry about pregnancy, when like a rape claim it may or may not happen, and now men have something about the same to worry about.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #48
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,062

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The topic is college disciplinary actions and they can be whatever the college wants them to be.
    Just because they can doesn't mean they should. That's all you're really saying here... they can.

    Couldn't refute my points, eh?
    April Fool's Day is the one day of the year
    that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.

  9. #49
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,080

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Just because they can doesn't mean they should. That's all you're really saying here... they can.

    Couldn't refute my points, eh?
    Colleges, like people, should be free to decide for themselves what they should do.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #50
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    03-24-17 @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,789

    Re: 'Accused is guilty': Campus rape tribunals punish without proof, critics say

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I can see the point kinda went over your heads. My point was the article makes it sound like the beginning is here to start locking people up left and right without convictions or without enough evidence. But thats not true as presented by the data...
    That's not what the OP article is about. Its about colleges usurping criminal proceedings by setting up their own tribunals where the accused is GUILTY until proven innocent without the tools to prove your innocence.

    All in all, it will get fixed in the end, after the multi-million dollar lawsuits.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •