Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: US teacher raped in South Africa.

  1. #71
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,441

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    But they have guns, how can this be?
    Actually the US BJS has collected statistics which indicate that women who use firearms against sexual assault are less likely to suffer injury and become the victim of a completed sexual assault then those who do not, most women do not carry guns though so this benefit only applies to people who use it (duh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  2. #72
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    160,886

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    But they have guns, how can this be?
    you think foreigners coming to teach are licensed to carry handguns?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  3. #73
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,441

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you think foreigners coming to teach are licensed to carry handguns?
    My understanding is SA is CC friendly, I don't know for foreigners, but my understanding was that a legally registered pistol can be carried concealed in Soith Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  4. #74
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    160,886

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    My understanding is SA is CC friendly, I don't know for foreigners, but my understanding was that a legally registered pistol can be carried concealed in Soith Africa
    I am not aware if that is true: in most countries, a foreigner working in a country in a temporary capacity is not going to be able to pack a firearm unless they have diplomatic or military status
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Women who travel anywhere run the risk of getting raped. Nothing special about South Africa there.
    Rape is a problem in South Africa, more so than most places

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    hmm because they are black ?
    But they ARE black

  7. #77
    Scientia Est Potentia


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,855

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Over the past weekend the government of SA allowed Sudan president Omar al-Bashir to enter and then leave the country ... despite a South Africa court order that he be detained.

    al-Bashir is wanted on an international warrant for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

  8. #78
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,497
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Politicshead View Post
    ...She was out jogging. What should she have done? ...
    She should have gone with a group of joggers she could trust. Ideally one or two of them should have been male.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie; (thread flushed)
    A lot of hyperpartisans do not understand the concept of nuance. Everything is black and white, right or wrong, left or right. Offering a complicated answer to an overly simplistic query is often dismissed as "evading" by people who only come to forums like this to have their own pre-existing opinions validated.

  9. #79
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon

    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,482
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am not aware if that is true: in most countries, a foreigner working in a country in a temporary capacity is not going to be able to pack a firearm unless they have diplomatic or military status
    I was surprised in Canada, an Australian guy I know, who is on a 2 year working holiday visa managed to get a firearms license, he has a rifle and a shotgun.

  10. #80

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    She should have gone with a group of joggers she could trust. Ideally one or two of them should have been male.
    That should have helped. #SouthAfrica is a reeeeally messed up place. At first look it is wonderful but in reality it is right out dangerous! I am doing charity work along the East coast of Africa and in my opinion only Somalia is worse. In South Africa you are OK, (irrelevant of race) , if you stick around Europeans but otherwise. . . Not even Africans want to be/reside among Africans. Soooo sad for such a beautiful country to have turned into this

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •