Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 80

Thread: US teacher raped in South Africa.

  1. #61
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,635

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It was a telephone survey but you can download the questions here...

    CDC Stacks | National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS) 2011 victimization questions - 24726 | Library Collection

    The questions were very specific. So what was so shoddy about them?

    No it doesn't. Read the questions.

    We don't know that..or more specifically you don't know that.


    "...More than 200 studies have found “gender symmetry” in perpetration of violence against a marital or dating partner in the sense that about the same percent of women as men physically assault a marital or dating partner. Most of these studies obtained the data using the Conflict Tactics Scales (CTS). However, these results have been challenged by numerous articles in the past 25 years that have asserted that the CTS is invalid. This article identifies and responds to 11 purported methodological problems of the CTS, and two other bases for the belief that the CTS is not valid. The discussion argues that the repeated assertion over the past 25 years that the CTS is invalid is not primarily about methodology. Rather it is primarily about theories and values concerning the results of research showing gender symmetry in perpetration. According to the prevailing “patriarchal dominance” theory, these results cannot be true and therefore the CTS must be invalid. The conclusion suggests that an essential part of the effort to prevent and treat violence against women and by women requires taking into account the dyadic nature of partner violence through use of instruments such as the CTS that measure violence by both partners. Copyright 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...."

    Blaming the Messenger for the Bad News about Partner Violence by Women: The Methodological, Theoretical, and Value Basis of the Purported Invalidity of the Conflict Tactics Scales - Straus - 2012 - Behavioral Sciences & the Law - Wiley Online Library

    Ah yes, ye ol "patriarchal dominance theory" so of course it can't possibly be true that men report sexual assault almost equal to women. But then....200 studies suggest they do.


    I don't think will it hurt. Most people either didn't read the article or have forgotten about it. But even so I doubt it would change many opinions about rape.
    There are in fact shoddy questions,

    The introduction immediately identifies the purpose of the survey as being about rape and sexual assault, announcing immediate intentions encourages more reporting, whereas NCVS begins by asking about crime in general.

    The questions are all phrased "how many times has x happened" presupposing x has already happened, which brings up false positives. It's well established that wording can widely vary answers recieved.

    The question on drunken sex is so poorly constructed , and accounts for over two thirds of the positives.

    And is near the end. Specifically the respondent is not instructed not to list episodes of drunken sex that were consensual.

    And it's not minutia we're talking about, BJS comes up with just over a quarter million total rapes for 2010, and CDC insists there were over 3 million that year. Too much a disparity, and the BJS in general is more highly regarded on numbers anyway.

    The CDC has a problem in that they conduct studies meant to be used for political purposes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  2. #62
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,960

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    There are in fact shoddy questions,

    The introduction immediately identifies the purpose of the survey as being about rape and sexual assault, announcing immediate intentions encourages more reporting, whereas NCVS begins by asking about crime in general.

    The questions are all phrased "how many times has x happened" presupposing x has already happened, which brings up false positives. It's well established that wording can widely vary answers recieved.
    They wouldn't be answering the question if it didn't happen.


    The question on drunken sex is so poorly constructed , and accounts for over two thirds of the positives
    Do you have factual evidence supporting your opinion on that?

    And is near the end. Specifically the respondent is not instructed not to list episodes of drunken sex that were consensual.
    I really don't see how saying they didn't count consensual drunken sex as rape is helping your argument much.

    And it's not minutia we're talking about, BJS comes up with just over a quarter million total rapes for 2010, and CDC insists there were over 3 million that year. Too much a disparity, and the BJS in general is more highly regarded on numbers anyway.
    Where does the CDC say "there were over 3 million that year?" You still seem to be confusing annual rape statistics with "a rape in their lifetime."

    The CDC has a problem in that they conduct studies meant to be used for political purposes
    Conjecture.

  3. #63
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,669

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Of course not. I am sarcastic. That is the way how the locals welcomes the visitors. That's why I am not going there. A foreign women gets raped and a man gets burnt alive - with a tire around his neck and hands bound with barbed wire (just in case he tries to escape or remove the burning tire from his neck). Sick if you ask me.

    this sort of stuff didn't happen nearly as much when the racist white Nationalist Party was in control

    Then again Rhodesia was a net food producer when the UDI took place an Ian Smith was running things, Once the Mugabe thugs took over, the place is a cesspool
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,785

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Politicshead View Post
    how about telling men NOT TO ****ING RAPE WOMEN.
    Never thought of that... do you think it will work?

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,172

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    She went there to teach them and how do they thank her? WTF Welcum to the New South Africa
    IOLMobile
    Big story, because as we all know we eliminated rape in this country years ago.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,172

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Of course not. I am sarcastic. That is the way how the locals welcomes the visitors. That's why I am not going there. A foreign women gets raped and a man gets burnt alive - with a tire around his neck and hands bound with barbed wire (just in case he tries to escape or remove the burning tire from his neck). Sick if you ask me.
    Do you know much about your own history? Apparently not.

    https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...0of%20lynching
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,172

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    this sort of stuff didn't happen nearly as much when the racist white Nationalist Party was in control

    Then again Rhodesia was a net food producer when the UDI took place an Ian Smith was running things, Once the Mugabe thugs took over, the place is a cesspool
    So the answer to rape is to install a white racist government? I'm not sure I understand your point here.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #68
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    163,669

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    So the answer to rape is to install a white racist government? I'm not sure I understand your point here.
    no, the point was that African run nations are often weak in preventing crime
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  9. #69
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    20,467

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    But they have guns, how can this be?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #70
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,635

    Re: US teacher raped in South Africa.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    They wouldn't be answering the question if it didn't happen.
    Not nessecarily, if you plant that something did happen into someone's mind they remember it. The wording can well cause someone to answer differently


    Do you have factual evidence supporting your opinion on that?
    That they have a question asking if you've engaged in drunken sex without defining the terms and instructing the surveyee the question? It's right on the questionnaire

    I really don't see how saying they didn't count consensual drunken sex as rape is helping your argument much.
    but they did, question asks have you had sex "while drunk, drugged, high OR incapacitated"

    Where does the CDC say "there were over 3 million that year?" You still seem to be confusing annual rape statistics with "a rape in their lifetime."



    Conjecture.
    In their study, do your own homework.

    I already did the math on the NCVS for the in their lifetime number of one in 32 that's a huge factor, to believe the CDC study you would have to believe there are tens of millions of victims that all law enforcement and professional victims advocates have missed for decades.

    The studies are still a wide ocean apart.

    It may be conjecture but it's educated conjecture, take the question that asks (paraphrasing I don't have it in front of me now) "have you been pressures into sex by someone telling lies or plans for the future that were untrue"
    This study marks one as a victim if they've ever had a hookup! Practically.

    It simply seems you wish to believe whichever one promises you the higher number
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 06-17-15 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •