Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 398

Thread: Tamir Rice:Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing 12 year-old[W:262]

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    12,043
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    This seems to be a common thread with many of these media cases: there almost seems an eagerness to pull the trigger, whether legally justified or not. There's almost a disregard for human life.

    If you guys remember the New Mexico homeless guy in the desert that was popped by the sharp-shooter, there doesn't seem to be the efforts made to diffuse the situation that would show basic respect for human life.
    Cops are not interested in diffusing any situation. That decreases their chances of using a gun.

  2. #22
    Sage


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    This seems to be a common thread with many of these media cases: there almost seems an eagerness to pull the trigger, whether legally justified or not. There's almost a disregard for human life.

    If you guys remember the New Mexico homeless guy in the desert that was popped by the sharp-shooter, there doesn't seem to be the efforts made to diffuse the situation that would show basic respect for human life - not just respect for the cops lives, but also for the lives of the offenders, who sometimes are offending in some relatively minor fashion.

    I've noticed a pattern too and it has to do with the way the calls are made to the police. It seems more often than not that someone calls in to report something suspicious, that might not even be true (ie: might have a gun, acting strange, etc) and thats what the cops seem to react to when they arrive on the scene instead of trying to find out what is really going on first.
    Last edited by Moot; 06-12-15 at 01:27 AM.

  3. #23
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,664

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Lets hope citizens stop calling in complaints about thugs with guns terrorizing people in parks, and lets hope if citizens DO call those complaints in the cops refuse to respond. That way, when they kid that is on video walking up and down the sidewalk terrorizing citizens with what looks like a very real gun gets approached by cops the kid doesnt jump up and raise his shirt and reach for what the police were told is a gun and get shot.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,575

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Judge Ronald Adrine of the Cleveland Municipal Court said there were grounds to prosecute Officer Timothy Loehmann with murder....
    Thank G_d he doesn't have the power to bring charges.
    Though image quality is poor, Judge Adrine wrote, “it does not appear to show him making any furtive movement prior to, or at, the moment he is shot.”
    Cleveland Judge Finds Probable Cause to Charge Officers in Tamir Rice Death

    Based on the video, his statement appears to be patently false.
    Tamir can be seen reaching for his waistline as the Cops arrive.


    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't know if murder is going to fly but the shooting looked really bad and charges should be brought as well as a massive law suit
    The prosecutor said the GJ will decide, and in light of the video showing him reaching it shouldn't even go to a GJ.
    and Mr. McGinty said his office still had investigating of its own to do. Eventually, his office said, prosecutors will take the case to a grand jury, which will decide whether to issue indictments.
    Cleveland Judge Finds Probable Cause to Charge Officers in Tamir Rice Death



    This is nothing more than bs wrangling by Benjamin Crump of Trayvon fame trying to better his chances in regards to bringing a civil suit.





    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Let's hope this starts a trend, and we settle police brutality in open court rather than secret grand juries.
    There was no Police brutality here.





    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Good, that cop needs a trial, what he did was abhorrent.

    Responding with lethal force to a threat of lethal force is not abhorrent.
    Last edited by Excon; 06-12-15 at 08:31 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #25
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,983

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Thank G_d he doesn't have the power to bring charges.
    Though image quality is poor, Judge Adrine wrote, “it does not appear to show him making any furtive movement prior to, or at, the moment he is shot.”
    Cleveland Judge Finds Probable Cause to Charge Officers in Tamir Rice Death

    Based on the video, his statement appears to be patently false.
    Tamir can be seen reaching for his waistline as the Cops arrive.


    The prosecutor said the GJ will decide, and in light of the video showing him reaching it shouldn't even go to a GJ.
    and Mr. McGinty said his office still had investigating of its own to do. Eventually, his office said, prosecutors will take the case to a grand jury, which will decide whether to issue indictments.
    Cleveland Judge Finds Probable Cause to Charge Officers in Tamir Rice Death



    This is nothing more than bs wrangling by Benjamin Crump of Trayvon fame trying to better his chances in regards to bringing a civil suit.
    It should absolutely go to a grand jury. Whether the kid was armed or not there was no imminent threat when the cop came up and the way he approached was reckless and stupid.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,575

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    It should absolutely go to a grand jury. Whether the kid was armed or not there was no imminent threat when the cop came up and the way he approached was reckless and stupid.
    The kid was reaching as the Officer said he was, which is an imminent threat.
    His response to a lethal threat with lethal force was appropriate, as such his life should not be put in jeopardy for acting appropriately.

    As for the way the driver approached. And? That may or may be a reason to give him more training, but does not negate the other Officer's correct action in responding to the threat.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #27
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,983

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The kid was reaching as the Officer said he was, which is an imminent threat.
    His response to a lethal threat with lethal force was appropriate, as such his life should not be put in jeopardy for acting appropriately.

    As for the way the driver approached. And? That may or may be a reason to give him more training, but does not negate the other Officer's correct action in responding to the threat.
    So basically the cop in the passenger seat didn't have a choice of how to approach because he wasn't driving and was forced into the situation? That's an interesting defense and, frankly, not without merit.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,159

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I've noticed a pattern too and it has to do with the way the calls are made to the police. It seems more often than not that someone calls in to report something suspicious, that might not even be true (ie: might have a gun, acting strange, etc) and thats what the cops seem to react to when they arrive on the scene instead of trying to find out what is really going on first.
    if someone calls in and reports someone carrying an assault rifle as a cop your first thought isn't I am going to show up and see what is going on first and ask questions.
    your first thought is I am going to show up and hope I make it home tonight.

    if the guy has an assault rifle and doesn't comply with putting the gun down then there is more than just my life at risk.
    you can't say because you don't know.

    There are cases when that response isn't appropriate. there are other times that it is.
    While I agree that the police need to be re-taught constitutional law and rules the fact is that they put their life on the line
    and they want to go home to their families at the end of the day. that is why they are given some leeway in certain issues.

    there have been a few of them that have been a little sketchy and that are being put on trial.
    others haven't been and there was no reason to put the cops through what they went through.

    People need to calm done and not assume since the person isn't armed they are innocent.

    if the kid has an illegal bb gun (without and orange tip on it) and reaches for it when the cops get there then he is putting his own life in danger.
    it isn't the cops fault. they see a person with a very real weapon. a colt 1911 is a serious gun and not your typical street gun.

    if he reaches for it then he should expect to be shot.
    Last edited by ludin; 06-12-15 at 09:01 AM.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,159

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Lets hope citizens stop calling in complaints about thugs with guns terrorizing people in parks, and lets hope if citizens DO call those complaints in the cops refuse to respond. That way, when they kid that is on video walking up and down the sidewalk terrorizing citizens with what looks like a very real gun gets approached by cops the kid doesnt jump up and raise his shirt and reach for what the police were told is a gun and get shot.
    that is why it is illegal to take the plastic tip off of those guns. that orange tip is on there for a reason to ensure that cops know it is a bb gun or pellet gun.
    this kid thought he would try to intimidate people and take the tip off making it look like a real gun.

    a colt 1911 is a very serious weapon. it is a .45 cal weapon that is capable of serious injury.
    if he reached for it the cops can determine that he is a threat based on the information. they have no idea it is a bb gun.

    neither did anyone else the kid took the orange tip off.
    if this was the case I don't see the officers doing anything wrong.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,159

    Re: Tamir Rice: Judge finds cause for Murder charge over police killing of 12 year-o

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    So basically the cop in the passenger seat didn't have a choice of how to approach because he wasn't driving and was forced into the situation? That's an interesting defense and, frankly, not without merit.
    you are a cop and someone reaches for what looks like a real gun what are you going to do? sit there and ask him what he is doing or are you going to protect yourself and your partner?

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •