Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 89 of 89

Thread: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to Be

  1. #81
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,407
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Okay, well this is a diversion from the topic. Public pensions aren't a VA benefit or compensation for casualties of war. They're a badly administered government entitlement that is leaving each next generation worse off than the previous.
    You're the one who cited the wealth gap. Your link named house value as the primary cause. I constructed a thought problem to test your assertion.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #82
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,155
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, Erik.

    The sad thing about that is that reality will handle teaching what we didn't, and that's unfortunate because there's not going to be a juice box given to everyone, no matter if they won or lost the game. They didn't get the nickname "The Peter Pan" generation for nothing. :
    Greetings, Polgara.

    Yes, I'm afraid that it's going to be a rough ride for them in the near future. A failure on our parts for sure.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  3. #83
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,854

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Greetings, Polgara.

    Yes, I'm afraid that it's going to be a rough ride for them in the near future. A failure on our parts for sure.
    They're more tech-savvy than most of the older generations, I've got to give them that. And they will be competing with global competitors so it's fortunate for them that they are. But how that's going to repair our economy and get our infrastructure modernized, I don't know. We've supposedly got the best in government that money can buy now, and look how screwed up we are anyway.

    Somewhere along the line we're going to need physical labor done, and the ratio usually is one boss = several laborers. *I'm including the trades like plumbers, electricians, remodeling and new construction workers like bricklayers, etc in the laborer category.* My attorney and CPA are brainy and tech-savvy, but they have to hire that other work done - they don't know how to do it, and I doubt that Hillary, Trump or Obama do either! Robots may be helpful one day, but not yet except for production lines, and space travel, and they will probably be specialized, too.

  4. #84
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 11:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,445

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    They're more tech-savvy than most of the older generations, I've got to give them that. And they will be competing with global competitors so it's fortunate for them that they are. But how that's going to repair our economy and get our infrastructure modernized, I don't know. We've supposedly got the best in government that money can buy now, and look how screwed up we are anyway.

    Somewhere along the line we're going to need physical labor done,
    and the ratio usually is one boss = several laborers. *I'm including the trades like plumbers, electricians, remodeling and new construction workers like bricklayers, etc in the laborer category.* My attorney and CPA are brainy and tech-savvy, but they have to hire that other work done - they don't know how to do it, and I doubt that Hillary, Trump or Obama do either! Robots may be helpful one day, but not yet except for production lines, and space travel, and they will probably be specialized, too.
    Eeeewwww. Getting dirty. Eeeeewwww.

  5. #85
    Sage

    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,854

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Eeeewwww. Getting dirty. Eeeeewwww.
    Greetings, humbolt.

    :

  6. #86
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Of course its harder. First you sacrifice 4-5 years of your prime getting a stupid degree, then youre competing against dozens/hundreds of people who have the same stupid degree, youre swimming in debt, you dont own jack ****, youre stressed off your gourd, you turn to drugs, you have at least one bastard child, your life spirals out of control, next thing you know youre back living in your moms basement flipping cheeseburgers for a living as you lose more and more of your hair, you are a shell of your former self, you often hug your high school lettermans jacket and cry yourself to sleep.

    Good luck out there.
    "Opportunity does not come knocking. It is usually running down the street, you have to chase and tackle it." - Sheriff David Clarke, Milwaukee County.

  7. #87
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,155
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    They're more tech-savvy than most of the older generations, I've got to give them that. And they will be competing with global competitors so it's fortunate for them that they are. But how that's going to repair our economy and get our infrastructure modernized, I don't know. We've supposedly got the best in government that money can buy now, and look how screwed up we are anyway.

    Somewhere along the line we're going to need physical labor done, and the ratio usually is one boss = several laborers. *I'm including the trades like plumbers, electricians, remodeling and new construction workers like bricklayers, etc in the laborer category.* My attorney and CPA are brainy and tech-savvy, but they have to hire that other work done - they don't know how to do it, and I doubt that Hillary, Trump or Obama do either! Robots may be helpful one day, but not yet except for production lines, and space travel, and they will probably be specialized, too.
    Yeah, it's true that many Millenials are tech familiar at the consumer level, in order to be have a career in tech there's allot more in depth knowledge that's needed about the subject and I find that often lacking in many of the Millenials, as they wander around addicted to posting on Facebook and Twitter every 30 seconds of everyday - hardly leaves very much time or attention for actual work with real value.

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Of course its harder. First you sacrifice 4-5 years of your prime getting a stupid degree, then youre competing against dozens/hundreds of people who have the same stupid degree, youre swimming in debt, you dont own jack ****, youre stressed off your gourd, you turn to drugs, you have at least one bastard child, your life spirals out of control, next thing you know youre back living in your moms basement flipping cheeseburgers for a living as you lose more and more of your hair, you are a shell of your former self, you often hug your high school lettermans jacket and cry yourself to sleep.

    Good luck out there.
    I'd only add that many with which you are competing are imagined expertise listed as resume stuffed H1B visa applicants who really don't end up knowing what's needed to succeed in the actual job at hand.

    That, and you're listing a series of poor life-choices in your fictitious (at least hoping so) life account. This scenario that you list is an example of parenting fails, from my view.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  8. #88
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    7,872

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You're the one who cited the wealth gap. Your link named house value as the primary cause. I constructed a thought problem to test your assertion.
    Even controlling for housing wealth, the economic wellbeing of today's young adults is significantly worse than a generation and two ago, and that of seniors and near-seniors is dramatically better. Anyone who has any concern about inequality should acknowledge how significantly the inequality is running along age demographic lines.

  9. #89
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    50,407
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Even Baby Boomers Think It's Harder to Get Started Professionally Than It Used to

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Even controlling for housing wealth, the economic wellbeing of today's young adults is significantly worse than a generation and two ago, and that of seniors and near-seniors is dramatically better. Anyone who has any concern about inequality should acknowledge how significantly the inequality is running along age demographic lines.
    Fair enough. From your link.

    Housing has been the main driver of these divergent wealth trends. Rising home equity has been the linchpin of the higher wealth of older households in 2009 compared with their counterparts in 1984. Declining home equity has been one factor in the lower wealth held by young households in 2009 compared with their counterparts in 1984. Trends over the same period in other key measures of economic well-being—including annual income, poverty, homeownership, and home equity—all follow a similar pattern of older adult households making larger gains, compared with households headed by their same-aged counterparts in earlier decades, than younger adult households, according to the Pew Research analysis.
    These age-based divergences of households widened substantially with the housing market collapse of 2006, the Great Recession of 2007-2009 and the ensuing jobless recovery. But they all began appearing decades earlier, suggesting they are as much linked to long-term demographic and social changes as they are to the sour economy of recent years.

    My take? From 1945 to roughly 1975 the US enjoyed a historical anomaly as the only major economy left standing after WW2. By around 1975 international competitiveness again became a factor, and began draining away much of the lush excess of the 1945-75 economy. That continues to this day. The problem is not intergenerational wealth transfer, but rather that the boomers got their start in an international environment that no longer exists. That difficulty is not insurmountable; as I already noted our three children are doing quite well.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •