Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88

Thread: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

  1. #51
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    05-28-17 @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Then you're the exception the general reality. Just because there's a white christian male bias in our systems doesn't mean every white christian male is guaranteed to benefit from it. It just means that theirs a must higher percentage of white males benefiting/succeeding compared to non-whites. Also indicates a less likelihood, but not impossible, of being treated poorly simply because of being a certain color or religion or gender or sexual preference.
    Or even being treated differently. White folks never fear being "shook down" or stopped in a white neighborhood based on race, they never see a person subtly move their purse to the other side of their body when walking by a group of people of a different race, they never see a black person cross the street to avoid walking past a group of white people, they never see people avoid getting into a elevator with them, they are never followed around in a store in fear of stealing something...and the list goes on. Blacks notice this behavior even tho a white person may not realize they are doing it. Whites do not know what it is like to be a second class citizen...especially white males.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,043

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Power is no longer exclusive to whites. There are a lot of other races in power. And even though a lot of "power positions" are held by white people, it does not do a damn thing for other 99% of white americans. The way our country works, very few in poverty ever get out of poverty. More people fall into poverty than climb out. And most of those who do climb out of poverty only make it to about lower middle class if they are lucky. The reason you see so little people of color who do get into power is because those in power, and those who control their money after they have left power, do not concede power. And since it is near impossible for anyone of any race to go from poverty to powerful in America, many minorities are trapped into that system. But so are all the poor white people. Poor is poor, and rich is rich. Money is what matters. Rich white kids do get more opportunities and priveledges than poor black kids, but along those same lines, rich black kids get more opportunities and priveledges than poor white kids. It is the GREEN that matters not white, black, brown or yellow. I happen to be the same race as some of the richest people in America, and as it turns out, they don't share with me either. Some of you can say white people get more, but 20 million people struggling would disagree and would disagree that thier white skin has afforded them any extra benefits.
    All I'll say is racism is real where I live and if you applied for a job race (that you are white) wouldn't be an issue for you. Not in the hiring, not with your fellow workers, not one person would object because you're white and are a supervisor and giving them orders. None of your clients or customers would care that you are white. Cops wouldn't stop you and search your vehicle for no reason. The loss prevention folks wouldn't follow you around stores while you're shopping. If you're black, none of that is true.

    Sheesh, my own uncle was fired from his good job with a power plant because he told the black supervisor he "wouldn't take orders from a nigger." He's an idiot, but this is Mississippi and I'm sure a fair number of his coworkers felt similarly but were smart enough to keep it to themselves. You don't think that makes it harder for that black guy to do a good job as supervisor, when some part of his workforce hates him because he's black?

    Yes, I've said that the real privilege is money and had several debates about how much of an advantage it provides - IMO, immense! But at least in MOST jobs in MOST regions, being white gives you a better chance at success, getting an interview, getting a job, getting promoted, than being black.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    All I'll say is racism is real where I live and if you applied for a job race (that you are white) wouldn't be an issue for you. Not in the hiring, not with your fellow workers, not one person would object because you're white and are a supervisor and giving them orders. None of your clients or customers would care that you are white. Cops wouldn't stop you and search your vehicle for no reason. The loss prevention folks wouldn't follow you around stores while you're shopping. If you're black, none of that is true.

    .
    I do not believe any of that to be true. Largely because I have been pulled over. I have had my car searched. I have been handcuffed as cops flipped my apartment. I have been followed around stores. Just like almost every other teen in America. Very few people care any more if their boss is black. That has been a problem in the past but most companies, especially large companies have minorities in management or supervisory positions. You are simply wrong on almost all counts.


    But at least in MOST jobs in MOST regions, being white gives you a better chance at success, getting an interview, getting a job, getting promoted, than being black.
    no it doesnt. Show me ONE employer who hires based on race in any major corporation in the United States. you may be able to find some family run businesses that all happen to be the same race, largely due to them being family, but i can point out many businesses in almost any city where people of every race do that. .

    You seem to have this false idea that the majority of Americans are racist. It is simply not true. Most Americans are not racist. That isn't to say there aren't any racists out there, but it is no longer common.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #54
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    That is part of it, but it's not all of it. I can see you're too personally bitter to see that. So be it.
    You can't see anything, and that is all of it - the only folks who see more is those who want to create more racial divide.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #55
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    So racism is dead?
    A non sequitur question or a strawman masquerading as a question.... you choose.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Conscious and subconscious? If it's not, and given that almost all the real power is still held by whites, mostly white males, then being something other than white comes with a disadvantage. It's really that simple.
    Power is wielded by the highest economic classes and by the political class, regardless of the color of their skin.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #56
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IOW, it was perfectly legal so you're going to run away from my challenge
    I don't argue points with someone who doesn't know the subject matter. Go educate yourself and ask a better question. What are you still confused about?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You can be jailed, for a limited time, without being charged and the article doesn't say he wasn't charged.
    Please quote and link the NY State penal code where that's allowed.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #57
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by logansrun View Post
    Saying someone is not honest about race is the same as saying people are not honest in discussing stuff. It is an unframed position.
    I never said someone was honest, I said have a serious discussion about race. Since that one is confounding you a bit how about you narrow it down to something you feel comfortable discussing and then you open a thread about it? This thread is actually not about race but about a comment made by Paul who referenced a kid being held in jail without a trial - of all the things to pull out for the headline (WT editor should be slapped around for that one) there were so many other things said by Paul that actually made sense.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #58
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    211

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    I'll tell you what can be done. Stop MESSING with people over stuff that has no victim, like prostitution, dope, gambling, guns, etc. You'll then have 4x as much jail space, court time, etc, to go after and swiftly deal with those who DO harm people. Why CARE about stuff that has no victim?

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,043

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    A non sequitur question or a strawman masquerading as a question.... you choose.

    Power is wielded by the highest economic classes and by the political class, regardless of the color of their skin.
    If you think you'd do better in life as a black man than a white man, I think you're delusional. I've explained why in several posts to you and others. Not much else to say. I guess we'll disagree.

    I know if someone suggested I color my face black and change my name to Jamal to improve my job prospects, I'd call the person suggesting that an idiot and wonder if they were drunk or high or just pulling my leg, especially in my region. You live in NJ. Maybe it doesn't matter there. In the South, it matters, a lot.

  10. #60
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,500

    Re: Rand Paul: ‘White kids don’t get the same justice’

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I don't argue points with someone who doesn't know the subject matter. Go educate yourself and ask a better question. What are you still confused about?

    Please quote and link the NY State penal code where that's allowed.
    Answer my question and I'll answer yours
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •