Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 216

Thread: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

  1. #181
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,806

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You called humans "less than human" and generalized an entire race because of one video. That's irrational emotion and the exact opposite of facts. You're projecting in a MAJOR way.
    Believe it or not, this thread is not about me or your bastardized view of my posts. Do you have anything to say related to the OP or are you simply going to continue to troll?
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,846

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I did, and it was there for you to read, but then you couldn't even be bothered to read the title of the statute. You then falsely claimed it wasn't about a speedy trial, but dropped that pretty quickly when I posted the title, didn't you?

    The better things you have to do is to flee your own argument.
    Posting a cite to a statute that runs 3,107 words, and fills 5 single space pages in Word, 10 font, with no paragraph breaks, and asking someone you're debating to read the entire statute and figure out what part or parts YOU think is relevant is trolling behavior.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    07-10-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Believe it or not, this thread is not about me or your bastardized view of my posts. Do you have anything to say related to the OP or are you simply going to continue to troll?
    Interesting. You go on a rant about liberals and then criticize me for going "off topic". This is now the third time you've displayed hypocrisy.

  4. #184
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    This video says more about blacks in America than it does about the American Justice System. Americans should be glad these less than humans are off the streets.
    The video tells you alot about blacks in America? Every single one - really john? From that video you now have a firm grasp on what the typical African American is - is that so?

    Are you aware that some of the members on this site are African American?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  5. #185
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Interesting. You go on a rant about liberals and then criticize me for going "off topic". This is now the third time you've displayed hypocrisy.
    He is putrid and disgusting. That statement of his was racist pure and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  6. #186
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,846

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    They got his parents to sign away the right to a speedy trial and then just kept delaying the trial because he kept insisting on having one. This kind of abuse of the process is common.

    Having said that, connecting his eventual suicide over 2 years after his release with his experience in jail is strained at best. He didn't sound like someone whose spirit had been broken in his interviews afterwards.
    People can often be good actors when it comes to that kind of thing. I've seen it first hand from a good friend who blew his head off with a shotgun. No one had a clue, and I'd spent 4 days with him and some other guys on a hunting trip just two months before it happened.

  7. #187
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,846

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Great, just keep repeating the same old busted argument, ignore where you've got it wrong, let that just drop away and then retailor your argument and mine. How dishonest.

    The fact of the matter is there is a speedy trial requirement written into the law. It lays a basic timeline of what constitutes a speedy trial and also informs of exceptions. MANY exceptions and events that legally stop the clock. Despite your assumption the prosecutor's actions delayed the trial, the law does not allow that except in very limited cases (none mentioned here). Are you seriously proposing his defense attorney filed no pre-trial motions. filed no motions at all (both are clock stoppers)?
    You're trolling again, deliberately ignoring any evidence to contradict what you make up. I quoted this from the New Yorker. Tell me how many of these are from the defense...

    This time, the prosecutor said, “The People are not ready. We are requesting one week.” The next court date set by the judge—March 9th—was not one week away but six. As it happened, Browder didn’t go to trial anytime that year. An index card in the court file explains:

    June 23, 2011: People not ready, request 1 week.

    August 24, 2011: People not ready, request 1 day.

    November 4, 2011: People not ready, prosecutor on trial, request 2 weeks.

    December 2, 2011: Prosecutor on trial, request January 3rd.
    ....
    June 29, 2012: People not ready, request one week.

    September 28, 2012: People not ready, request two weeks.

    November 2, 2012: People not ready, request one week.

    December 14, 2012: People not ready, request one week.
    This has also been addressed:

    Considering the COL in NY and the fact these are foster parents running a foster home, $300 is doable for an emergency. But hey, no proof would be good enough for you. You desperately do not want your argument to be shown for what it is, broken.
    You don't know that it was only $300, or that they could afford $300 if that was the amount, and the point was made moot when bail was revoked two months into his 3 years in jail without trial.

  8. #188
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,846

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You know, you should actually read the link:
    You're right, I didn't read the link because I don't care to do your work for you.

    That's a nice quote, now how does that relate to the case? I've posted evidence of at least 10 delays by the prosecution, that cumulatively delayed the trial well over a year. I've said the law counts 10 "one week" requests as 10 weeks against the 6 months, even if the actual delay is 6 weeks or 8 weeks or 10 weeks. What part of the story indicates the bulk of the delays were due to defense motions? And if the defense did request delays (which you haven't shown), in part because he's got 100s of active cases, how does it show the system works for the poor in any way at all?

  9. #189
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,846

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I don't think it is, but the law on speedy trials in NY says it can be. As explained to those who actually read the law, and to some extent the links you just posted, there are a multitude of factors that control the timing of the trial.
    Goodness. The problem is how the law actually works. That the law allows a juvenile to be held in jail for 3 years without trial, and that pre-trial detentions of that length and often longer are common, is a huge part of the problem in NYC. Part of the injustice in this case is the length of time held without trail, due in large part because of delays requested by the prosecutor, was so great that what some on DP saw as a "reasonable" offer was for him to plead guilty to a crime we have to assume he didn't commit and to commute his sentence to the YEARS already spent behind bars.

  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,271

    Re: Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    They got his parents to sign away the right to a speedy trial and then just kept delaying the trial because he kept insisting on having one. This kind of abuse of the process is common.

    Having said that, connecting his eventual suicide over 2 years after his release with his experience in jail is strained at best. He didn't sound like someone whose spirit had been broken in his interviews afterwards.
    Excerpted from a WaPo article:

    In prison, Browder clung to his sanity — barely.

    But upon gaining his freedom, he seemed to slip between an effort to regain his life and the darkness that threatened to take over.

    He had allies everywhere. An anonymous donor offered to pay for his community college education. He met with Rosie O’Donnell and Jay Z.

    ...Gonnerman, the journalist who visited with Browder several times during her reporting for the New Yorker, noted that he had recently been spending his time in and out of mental health institutions.

    After a visit with Browder in the psych ward at St. Barnabas Hospital in January, Gonnerman described him as “gaunt, restless and deeply paranoid.” She added, "He had recently thrown out his brand-new television, he explained, “because it was watching me.”

    At a gathering in the family home Saturday, the family struggled to understand what went wrong, according to Gonnerman. Was it the anti-psychotic medication that exacerbated his suicidal ideation? Or had he stopped taking the drugs? Kalief Browder’s suicide and the high cost of violence and delay at Rikers - The Washington Post

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •