Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 98

Thread: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

  1. #71
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    We think we are desensitized from violence by the sanitized version shown on TV, video games, and even our own imagination. I seriously doubt that's true. One need only ask a soldier after the battle is done (for him) or the cop who's killed or the driver whose actions have cost lives or the person who has taken a life in self-defense.

    One of my CCW instructors ate his way out of the torment he felt by gaining 200 pounds. His body count is 61 with his service weapon and countless with his bombing raids. It is the one-on-ones that haunt him most. He says he can remember each of them. The pop-pop-pop, the smell of gunpowder, the blaze of the muzzle...everything switching to slow motion as if it were a movie reel...the recoil...the blood...the life preparing to leave his enemy...and, finally, the 'off switch' being set.

    Tom has told me sketchy details of his best buddy's Vietnam Nam tour. A marine, he was constant point man on missions -- because he trusted no one else for the job. He was a ruthless killing machine after a while. No details here. He fought not so much for his country as he fought for the men at his side. He is a changed man, needless to say. Never married or had kids. But a very nice man to the peaceful world. He, though, doesn't think so.

    We are hard wired to find killing each other abhorrent. Anyone who thinks they can kill another human being and simply chalk it up to "It was either him or me," has watched too many cop shows.

    As to "what price Democracy," my answer would still be "Whatever it takes."
    I wonder if PTSD has a lot to do with the purpose of combat as well. For instance, it someone like your instructor killed all Nazi's, would it be as bad since the Nazi's had to be stopped at all costs. WW2 vets are all heroes and no one, or very few, question what they had to do to accomplish victory. But these pre-emptive wars and attempts to stop terrorists aren't nearly as clean cut, leaving so many in our country to question everything that goes wrong, and I think that can way heavily on someone's mind had they seriously hurt or killed someone.

  2. #72
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    With that level of justification..... we can justify taking over the world now can't we?

    At what point do we expect the people in the regions most threatened to stand up for themselves?

    Hell, why would anyone bother having their own Military when they have the good ole U.S. eh?

    We need to put an end to foreign nations' dependance on the U.S. military to defend them.
    I did two tours each in Afghanistan and Iraq and I don't mind to go back and do it all over again.

    If you don't want to stop the beheadings and atrocities that ISIS have done to Christians and people who decline to join ISIS
    and you don't want to get involved, I suggest you to write to 0bama and tell him to make the 450 soldiers that he sent recently to return asap and pull completely out from there and all over the world since (according to you) we don't need any troops abroad and policing the world, all troops should come back and stay home.

    You also got a good reply from ecofarm.
    Catch me if you can.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    You haven't been following the argument very well, obviously.



    False. The Bible is the story of the evolving relationship between man and God. We learn the history of the old ways to better understand the new ways as taught by Jesus. Your interpretation that the Old Testament teaches Christians how to act is patently false.



    I am not refusing to answer, just trying to keep you on your statement that Christianity has killed more people than any ideology. Whether Christianity has or hasn't killed "millions" does nothing to support your ignorant point.

    The list of the world's greatest genocides and deadliest wars indicate you are full of crap.

    Likewise, Your attempt to paint Christianity and Islam as coequals in the killing department is also absurdly false per those same sources. The Ottoman empire has 3 atrocities ranking in the top 4 all time, and Tamerlane conducted a war of Conquest in the name of Islam that ranks #1 in religious wars with between 7 million and 20 million dead. The Crusades didn't even make the list.

    Also, your "Christians killed most" argument is patently false compared to Islam as I have demonstrated, but even Islam is a distant #2 to the list of Chinese wars and atrocities. So, the most deadly ideology in the world appears to be "Not Christian".



    All signs point to No. Can you show me evidence that someoine has used that parable to justify murder? It's your assertion that it has been used to justify murder, contrary to the actual meaning in the context of Jesus' teachings. So prove it. Or is this one of those proofs that you want to claim is "subjective" and open to interpretation?



    You keep making the same claim and not backing it up. It is actually YOUR interpretation of the Bible that is the outlier. The Bible doesn't condone murder, and Jesus didn't preach or use murder as a tool for spreading his word. Mohammed, on the other hand, did.



    Stating something is "Probable" means you have evidence that makes your guess the most likely position to be true. You lack any evidence, you claim you have no definitive evidence, therefor your claim of "probable" is a lie.

    I have shown that your claim that Christianity has "probably" killed more people than anything except disease (an argument you hilariously tried to augment by attributing a disease to Christianity) is laughably untrue, and that you don't only lack the evidence to claim your view is "probably" but that the evidence actually shows your claim is untrue.


    Leaving the discussion there. Back to the thread topic.
    You're not even engaging in any substantial debate, you litterally strawman the **** out of what I am saying

    Answer the questions yes or no

    1. Do Christian preachers preach from the Old Testament
    2. It's not evolving it's a moral code given to us by god... When was the last time it evolved if it is evolving like physics
    3. Have millions of people died because of Christianity yes or no
    4. It's patently false to you, not everyone. Is there Christian extremism yes or no?
    5. Did I try to augment it to disease? No, you and I both know this, I'm saying the "belief of something killing someone else in history is subjective" can you please disprove that it is subjective. No you can not. You are arguing against strawman that you build, or you just focus on something completely off topic and pretend like you are proving my ascertion that Christianity has bred some of the most violence in history as wrong. But then when I make a logical valuable point you ignore it and refuse to answer questions I pose.

    Let me guess your strawman your going to build

    1. No point in answering that question because it doesn't matter
    2. It evolves because people still believe in it, or something of the like
    3. It doesn't matter how many people died because your assertion is not a fact, when this point has nothing to do with my normative statement you so desperately try to prove as not being a fact when I say " it's a normative statement"
    4. No because they aren't Christians
    5. I can't disprove anything to you. Because morality, religion, and theory all are based on the inner personal subjective ness. But I'll pretend like I disprove you with some off topic response

  4. #74
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,880

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I wonder if PTSD has a lot to do with the purpose of combat as well. For instance, it someone like your instructor killed all Nazi's, would it be as bad since the Nazi's had to be stopped at all costs. WW2 vets are all heroes and no one, or very few, question what they had to do to accomplish victory. But these pre-emptive wars and attempts to stop terrorists aren't nearly as clean cut, leaving so many in our country to question everything that goes wrong, and I think that can way heavily on someone's mind had they seriously hurt or killed someone.
    Well I think some people would have severe conscious and others would have severe detachment. Those with the conscious probably arent able to hold back those lacking in conscious much. While those with severe detachment of conscious force it upon those who have one. Just a theory im not an expert in these matters.
    Like a stone. A bit bigger than the dirt. Waiting. Except not.

  5. #75
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    10-15-16 @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    587

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Sounds like a weak man.
    I think you would feel differently if you had ever been in combat

  6. #76
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,131

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by B'smith View Post
    I think you would feel differently if you had ever been in combat
    Good thing I have then.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,255

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You said the religion itself is turning people into radicals.

    So why isn't it happening here?
    How could you not know that it is happening here?

    By "the religion" I assume you believe every Muslim worship center is somehow "linked in" with all the others across the world or something?
    I have no idea but when imams and mosques get involved in radicalizing people that counts as "the religion" to me.

  8. #78
    Sage



    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,092
    Blog Entries
    39

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I wonder if PTSD has a lot to do with the purpose of combat as well. For instance, it someone like your instructor killed all Nazi's, would it be as bad since the Nazi's had to be stopped at all costs. WW2 vets are all heroes and no one, or very few, question what they had to do to accomplish victory. But these pre-emptive wars and attempts to stop terrorists aren't nearly as clean cut, leaving so many in our country to question everything that goes wrong, and I think that can way heavily on someone's mind had they seriously hurt or killed someone.
    I suspect you're right. WW2 was a clear-cut mission. Once we entered the war, we were fighting for truth, justice and The America Way, if you will. We fought armies...soldiers. The enemy didn't surround itself with women and children in their desperate attempt to prevail against a Super Power. They didn't send in human bombs of the female and child persuasion. I think many of our soldiers in these last wars have paid the ultimate price as they live and breath.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #79
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    The man was not fit to be a soldier.

    People are supposed to have a very strong character before thinking about joining the armed forces.

    The armed forces have no time for weak people.

    He should of chosen to be a professional baby sitter instead of a soldier.
    Catch me if you can.

  10. #80
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: U.S. Soldier Who Killed 16 Afghans feels guilt and fear [W:63]

    Quote Originally Posted by B'smith View Post
    I think you would feel differently if you had ever been in combat

    I served two tours each in Afghanistan and Iraq and I don't have any problems and I did my share of neutralizing the enemy.
    Catch me if you can.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •