Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs | The Wichita Eagle The Wichita Eagle

    yay! oh wait, let's read the fine print.

    TOPEKA – The Kansas Legislature rapidly pushed through a bill Saturday to avert a midnight government shutdown, with Gov. Sam Brownback signing it despite concerns about its legality.

    The bill heads off furloughs for more than 24,000 state employees by defining them all as essential. Emergency furloughs triggered by the end of a budget year apply only to workers deemed nonessential to state operations.
    yay!

    oh wait.

    “SB 11 means that employees will work without the guarantee of being paid for that work. That is potentially in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

    So now we'll probably waste federal tax $ with this stupidity going to SCOTUS?

    yikes.

  2. #2
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,351

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    And they keep electing these sumbitches. And they haven't called Brownback.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #3
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,533
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    You're not getting laid off, but there's no guarantee that you'll ever get paid.

    Isn't that great?

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You're not getting laid off, but there's no guarantee that you'll ever get paid.

    Isn't that great?

    It might be about small enough to drown in a bathtub at this point.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    The latest news:

    On a record-setting 108th day in the Kansas legislative session, Senate Republicans passed a tax bill, the first crack in the gridlock that has gripped the Capitol as lawmakers struggle to close a budget hole.

    The bill protects the zero income tax rate for pass-through business owners while raising the general sales tax from 6.15 percent to 6.55 percent on July 1. A year later, the tax on food would drop to 4.95 percent.


    Kansas Senate approves tax bill, sends it to House | The Wichita Eagle The Wichita Eagle

    I'm not sure this is a wise approach, at least in the near-term. To the extent that a consumption tax increase might suppress consumer spending, it could dampen some tax revenue. As a result, the net tax revenue increase might wind up less than what is needed to address the state's near-term fiscal shortfall. Separately, the extent of offsetting transfer payments or tax credits to address regressivity issues would also impact the net gain in tax revenue.

    At present, I've seen no projections from Kansas that addresses these issues. It is possible that the rate changes may be more political in nature than driven by sound revenue and expenditure projections. If so, even if this plan is enacted into law, one might well see renewed fiscal challenges next year.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The latest news:

    On a record-setting 108th day in the Kansas legislative session, Senate Republicans passed a tax bill, the first crack in the gridlock that has gripped the Capitol as lawmakers struggle to close a budget hole.

    The bill protects the zero income tax rate for pass-through business owners while raising the general sales tax from 6.15 percent to 6.55 percent on July 1. A year later, the tax on food would drop to 4.95 percent.


    Kansas Senate approves tax bill, sends it to House | The Wichita Eagle The Wichita Eagle

    I'm not sure this is a wise approach, at least in the near-term. To the extent that a consumption tax increase might suppress consumer spending, it could dampen some tax revenue. As a result, the net tax revenue increase might wind up less than what is needed to address the state's near-term fiscal shortfall. Separately, the extent of offsetting transfer payments or tax credits to address regressivity issues would also impact the net gain in tax revenue.

    At present, I've seen no projections from Kansas that addresses these issues. It is possible that the rate changes may be more political in nature than driven by sound revenue and expenditure projections. If so, even if this plan is enacted into law, one might well see renewed fiscal challenges next year.

    OMG.

    It's better
    It also would increase the cigarette tax by 50 cents a pack and end most tax deductions. It sets a 2019 expiration date for most sales and property tax exemptions.
    BOHICA middle class.

  7. #7
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,507

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The latest news:

    On a record-setting 108th day in the Kansas legislative session, Senate Republicans passed a tax bill, the first crack in the gridlock that has gripped the Capitol as lawmakers struggle to close a budget hole.

    The bill protects the zero income tax rate for pass-through business owners while raising the general sales tax from 6.15 percent to 6.55 percent on July 1. A year later, the tax on food would drop to 4.95 percent.


    Kansas Senate approves tax bill, sends it to House | The Wichita Eagle The Wichita Eagle

    I'm not sure this is a wise approach, at least in the near-term. To the extent that a consumption tax increase might suppress consumer spending, it could dampen some tax revenue. As a result, the net tax revenue increase might wind up less than what is needed to address the state's near-term fiscal shortfall. Separately, the extent of offsetting transfer payments or tax credits to address regressivity issues would also impact the net gain in tax revenue.

    At present, I've seen no projections from Kansas that addresses these issues. It is possible that the rate changes may be more political in nature than driven by sound revenue and expenditure projections. If so, even if this plan is enacted into law, one might well see renewed fiscal challenges next year.
    We need to shift from an income-tax model to a consumption-tax model when and where we can.

    Though you are correct that static modeling is guaranteed to overscore revenues generated by tax increases, it's worth noting that the same is true of income taxes.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  8. #8
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 06:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,507

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs | The Wichita Eagle The Wichita Eagle

    yay! oh wait, let's read the fine print.

    yay!

    oh wait.

    So now we'll probably waste federal tax $ with this stupidity going to SCOTUS?

    yikes.
    no more than the Federal Government did when it deemed which of its employees were essential and which were not during the shutdowns.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no more than the Federal Government did when it deemed which of its employees were essential and which were not during the shutdowns.
    equivalent scenario citations needed.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Gov. Sam Brownback signs bill averting furloughs

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    We need to shift from an income-tax model to a consumption-tax model when and where we can.

    Though you are correct that static modeling is guaranteed to overscore revenues generated by tax increases, it's worth noting that the same is true of income taxes.
    United States Consumer Spending | 1950-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar
    US Consumer Spending was 11.2T or so
    US total Income Tax is around 2.2T

    On its face, that's about a 19.7% Consumption Tax needed to remain revenue neutral.
    That would be a net tax increase for at least 60% of households
    Historical Average Federal Tax Rates for All Households

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •