Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 252

Thread: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

  1. #201
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    How about forgetting your child on the roof of your car?

    snopes.com: Baby Left on Car Roof



    And according to snopes, that is just a one of about 14 incidents like it that happened prior to 1993.
    OMG! Well that makes all the difference in the world! One guy forgot he laid his car seat on the roof of a car in 1980. Okay, I stand corrected. No parent should worry about their children in car seats again. If the kid dies, hey, it's just a mistake.

    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #202
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You said that people don't ever not know where their children are. Even told someone to ask any parent. I am a parent and I know how my brain works to at least some degree. I know what I've told people and, although I've never personally forgotten my children somewhere dangerous, I have forgot who they were with when asked or where exactly they were (hell I "lost" my son while breastfeeding him one time, kept asking my family where my son was and they kept pointing out the older one, because no one thought I could be talking about the youngest, who was attached to my breast at that moment, our brains don't always give us the right clues or connect them the right way). Even good parents forget where their children are sometimes or don't think about their children for long portions of time if they believe that their children are where they are supposed to be, somewhere safe.
    Not knowing where your child is for a couple minutes is not the same as leaving them in a car for 8+ hours. Kids wander off, they have a knack for it. Difference is you realized after a few minutes and looked for your child. He didn't die because you neglected him all day strapped in an oven. You cant compare two different scenarios that have one common factor at opposite ends of extreme and compare them. Slapping someone and beating them relentlessly with a bat are technically both forms of assault but they totally different things.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #203
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    OMG! Well that makes all the difference in the world! One guy forgot he laid his car seat on the roof of a car in 1980. Okay, I stand corrected. No parent should worry about their children in car seats again. If the kid dies, hey, it's just a mistake.

    Wow, way to change your argument. You said to show you where someone before the 90s forgot their child somewhere. Do you think most of those (14 confirmed) incidents didn't make the news?

    It shows that people can forget their children in different scenarios, that it really isn't "this generation", and that the issue with forgetting them in the car is so big because of the circumstances of how heat or cold can work in a car, how the child is trapped even if they could otherwise move around on their own and the increased dire consequences of doing so.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #204
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Not knowing where your child is for a couple minutes is not the same as leaving them in a car for 8+ hours. Kids wander off, they have a knack for it. Difference is you realized after a few minutes and looked for your child. He didn't die because you neglected him all day strapped in an oven. You cant compare two different scenarios that have one common factor at opposite ends of extreme and compare them. Slapping someone and beating them relentlessly with a bat are technically both forms of assault but they totally different things.
    No, all parents don't. That simply isn't how memory works. I read about children being lost/left in airports, and most of the parents had no clue the child wasn't with them until airport/airline personnel contacted them. Again the reason people remember is due to clues they are given, most of the time, even if it is a stray thought that tangentially leads to remembering the child. In many other circumstances, you can forget your child, and they will be found or fine if left for hours because of not being confined in a small space that amplifies heat or traps cold. It has a lot to do with the difference in time windows to get to the children. I'm willing to bet many, many parents have forgotten their child at home. But since our homes generally keep us protected from the elements, there is little risk of heat stroke or hypothermia, which are the main causes of death for a child left in a car. And when forgotten in public, children are going to be seen or heard so that someone can notify the parent.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, all parents don't. That simply isn't how memory works. I read about children being lost/left in airports, and most of the parents had no clue the child wasn't with them until airport/airline personnel contacted them. Again the reason people remember is due to clues they are given, most of the time, even if it is a stray thought that tangentially leads to remembering the child. In many other circumstances, you can forget your child, and they will be found or fine if left for hours because of not being confined in a small space that amplifies heat or traps cold. It has a lot to do with the difference in time windows to get to the children. I'm willing to bet many, many parents have forgotten their child at home. But since our homes generally keep us protected from the elements, there is little risk of heat stroke or hypothermia, which are the main causes of death for a child left in a car. And when forgotten in public, children are going to be seen or heard so that someone can notify the parent.
    We are going in circles now. I am not ok with people neglecting their child and causing their needless deaths. No matter how you try to word it I am not ok with parents killing their children and using oops to justify it.

    Any decent parent, hell any half way decent parent does not forget to care for their children for hours. When a child is in your care you should be very aware of it. If a parent and a child are at home, especially a small child, I expect that that parent is watching that child. Not forgetting the child and going grocery shopping and leaving the child home all day. That is some of the dumbest **** I have ever heard. If someone is so unaware of their surroundings that they are incapable of remembering not to kill their children, or cant remember to bring their 18 month old child with them when they leave so the kid isnt home all day, that person should not ever have a child left in their care.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #206
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    We are going in circles now. I am not ok with people neglecting their child and causing their needless deaths. No matter how you try to word it I am not ok with parents killing their children and using oops to justify it.

    Any decent parent, hell any half way decent parent does not forget to care for their children for hours. When a child is in your care you should be very aware of it. If a parent and a child are at home, especially a small child, I expect that that parent is watching that child. Not forgetting the child and going grocery shopping and leaving the child home all day. That is some of the dumbest **** I have ever heard. If someone is so unaware of their surroundings that they are incapable of remembering not to kill their children, or cant remember to bring their 18 month old child with them when they leave so the kid isnt home all day, that person should not ever have a child left in their care.
    That's just it, these parents don't believe the child is in their care. They almost certainly believe that the child is safe with another caregiver or wherever they are supposed to normally be. They aren't doing it on purpose.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    10-17-15 @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    125

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    What a mess, the last similar case I read about was the fault of some gay pothead who had fun with his boyfriend while his adopted child was stiving in a hot car.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That's just it, these parents don't believe the child is in their care. They almost certainly believe that the child is safe with another caregiver or wherever they are supposed to normally be. They aren't doing it on purpose.
    These parents don't believe the child is in their care? One adult takes one child and straps that child into a vehicle. That one adult begins to drive that vehicle. Still just the one adult and one child in the car. Who exactly do they think is caring for the child if they don't think it is them? Did she think the dad was going to teleport in? Or that infants come with built in nannies?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #209
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,185

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I don't see a point to debating with you when you don't even know basic English. I said I skimmed it. Skimming is not making an informed decision.

    : to look over or read (something) quickly

    Skim | Definition of skim by Merriam-Webster
    Exactly, yet you defend an uninformed position.
    Your problem on extarplating and cherry picking what suits your pPOV.
    Any proof yet on Parent s being hardwired to wake at a moments
    And I have a general idea of what skim means.
    While I am not to bright at times, I tend not to be stupid all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I could care less what his qualifications are... a parent in a dead sleep will wake at the slightest odd sound from a baby. Parents brains are wired for their baby.

    Again, that psychobabble bull**** excuse for forgetting a child is pathetic...

    Any proof on that all parent wake at the slightest odd sound? Still waiting on that one.
    Hate to be hangin while waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The South Pacific
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,085

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Exactly, yet you defend an uninformed position.
    Your problem on extarplating and cherry picking what suits your pPOV.
    Any proof yet on Parent s being hardwired to wake at a moments
    And I have a general idea of what skim means.
    While I am not to bright at times, I tend not to be stupid all the time.
    The grammar in this section is so bad that I literally cringed when reading it...

    Any proof on that all parent wake at the slightest odd sound? Still waiting on that one.
    Hate to be hangin while waiting.
    I am not that interested in finding some study on what I, and many parents that I have talked to about it, already know... Have a kid and learn something new.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •