Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 252

Thread: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

  1. #131
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    73,514

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    This is why the new-ish (newer than when mine were infants), that infants and their infant seats have to be in the back seat is such a bad idea. It's much easier to not see and hence forget a quiet sleeping infant in the back seat, and usually an infant will fall asleep in a moving vehicle.
    Safest location in an accident.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #132
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    What a smart idea. And already there are "smart" car seats, so somebody's going to use the technology to come up with some "failsafe." And a national PSA campaign would be great.
    You'd think with all the great improvements in cars and communications that someone can come up with this.

    Go to Invent Help and submit the idea. You may make a mint.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #133
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Safest location in an accident.
    This, and the front air bags.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #134
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    73,514

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    This, and the front air bags.
    Although automation is making this a non-issue.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    52,512

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    The person behind the wheel of a car and in his carelessness hits another vehicle that results in the death of another, do they not face manslaughter charges?
    Depends on whether or not they are rich. A rich person probably not. A poor person, yup. Thrown into jail. Hell they may even get murder charges depending on the situation.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #136
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,801

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I can understand how it happens. While I've never forgotten either of my children in the car alone (I have in a shopping cart for a few steps b4 remembering one of them, though) .. It has happened where they fall asleep in the car and i completely forget about them for a long while. I do remember by the time I get to my destination, though.

    Seems an easy fix might be to just tie something to your inside door handle so when you open the door, it serves as a reminder.
    Saw on the news that a company is making an alarm that you install inside the car-seat that detects weight. When the corresponding tracker,which you affix to your key-chain, gets more than 15 feet away, it sounds an alarm.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    52,512

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I have a hard time believing this can happen as an accident. I understand it is possible, but i have a hard time believing it. Even if it were an accident, this woman caused her child's death due to her own negligence. I read that no charges have been pressed against her. As least not as of the writing of the article I have read. At the very least she should be charged with child endangerment or manslaughter or something. Intentionally or not, she killed this child, and this child suffered a terrible death.
    Many people state that they won't believe this was accidental or how they would never do it. The truth is that it can be VERY accidental and a consequence of how our brains work. Routine and habit are huge in daily tasks and doing the mundane. So much so, that if you break routine you can easily forget what the break was and the brain just automatically makes decisions that follow the typical routine.

    I've done this. I've take the same route to work over and over again. One day I had off and I was running errands near where I work. I'm on my merry way and before I know it, I'm taking the turn onto the road that goes to work, not the supermarket. Why? Because routine and habit took over. Even though I was aware I had off that day, even though I knew I was going to the grocery store, the brain overrode that and went with the routine.

    How many of us have done that? That's the same process through which kids get left in cars. A routine is broken, but the automatic nature of our reinforced routine take over and you go about your day unaware that you forgot something.

    Should they be charged with something? I don't know. Less it was purposeful, living without your kid is more punishment than anyone could enact. I certainly wouldn't call for jail time.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #138
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,992

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Many people state that they won't believe this was accidental or how they would never do it. The truth is that it can be VERY accidental and a consequence of how our brains work. Routine and habit are huge in daily tasks and doing the mundane. So much so, that if you break routine you can easily forget what the break was and the brain just automatically makes decisions that follow the typical routine.

    I've done this. I've take the same route to work over and over again. One day I had off and I was running errands near where I work. I'm on my merry way and before I know it, I'm taking the turn onto the road that goes to work, not the supermarket. Why? Because routine and habit took over. Even though I was aware I had off that day, even though I knew I was going to the grocery store, the brain overrode that and went with the routine.

    How many of us have done that? That's the same process through which kids get left in cars. A routine is broken, but the automatic nature of our reinforced routine take over and you go about your day unaware that you forgot something.

    Should they be charged with something? I don't know. Less it was purposeful, living without your kid is more punishment than anyone could enact. I certainly wouldn't call for jail time.
    Taking a wrong turn and forgetting your child, especially that young of a child, are not the same thing. Not even close. Things that matter are easier to remember.

    Maybe I keep missing it, but what is this woman's regular routine with this child? Are we just assuming this was out of the norm for her to put her child in her car? Somewhere before causing the death of this child, her routine was already broken or was still in tact.

    Either she took her daughter somewhere every morning, and failed to do it that day which would go against her programming or whatever you want to call it, or she left the kid at home and for some reason packed her in the car today when she normally wouldnt have which due to the breaking of pattern would have been very fresh in her mind as she pulled out after having just strapped her child in, or she went to the school daily with her child which no break in routine and she still failed.

    No matter how you cut though, her negligence cause the death of an 18 month old child. In my opinion, when your negligence causes death, you should be punished.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #139
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    52,512

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Taking a wrong turn and forgetting your child, especially that young of a child, are not the same thing. Not even close. Things that matter are easier to remember.
    The point is, the brain can override that. Taking the wrong turn and forgetting the child in the car is the same dynamic. Many times the parent that leaves the kid in the car is not the parent that takes the kid at that time.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,938

    Re: Toddler dies in hot car as mom teaches inside school

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You'd think with all the great improvements in cars and communications that someone can come up with this.

    Go to Invent Help and submit the idea. You may make a mint.
    See post #53: http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064694424

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •