Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 388

Thread: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

  1. #161
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,001

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    ... I will say this however. Year after year the United States has been slipping down the rankings of economic freedom. We now rank number twelve behind such power houses and Estonia, Ireland and Chile....
    If you believe that the people of Estonia, Ireland and Chile have a better standard of living than Americans, then that's an issue. But if you believe that the standard of living for Americans is higher than in those countries, maybe being at the top of the rankings for economic freedom isn't a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #162
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,001

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Failing to become rich due to personal limitations does not make it society's responsibility to step in and raise your standard of living for you.
    Who is suggesting that everyone should become rich? I must have missed that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #163
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Again, guy, show me a first-world democracy that does NOT have all three of the following: strong government, high effective taxes, and strong regulation.

    And then tell me why that is.
    Why, it's meaningless. We are slipping in the rating of economic freedom and we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #164
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Who is suggesting that everyone should become rich? I must have missed that post.
    I guess you did.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #165
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    If you believe that the people of Estonia, Ireland and Chile have a better standard of living than Americans, then that's an issue. But if you believe that the standard of living for Americans is higher than in those countries, maybe being at the top of the rankings for economic freedom isn't a good thing.
    Didn't say anything about standard of living. I said economic freedom. Look it up.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  6. #166
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Why, it's meaningless. We are slipping in the rating of economic freedom and we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    In other words, you couldn't come up with a good answer, so you threw out a straw man...especially given that our EFFECTIVE corporate tax rate (after all tax breaks and exemptions and whatnot) is less than ONE-THIRD of the official corporate tax rate.

    Next time, try to come up with something that's not so easily shot down....
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #167
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,001

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Why, it's meaningless. We are slipping in the rating of economic freedom and we have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    We haven't increased the corporate tax rate recently, so I doubt that there is a connection between us slipping, and the corporate tax rate.

    Anyhow, the effective corporate tax rate in the US is actually about average or below average. Apparently we have more deductions, credits, and other special deals than most countries do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #168
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,001

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I guess you did.
    If that's the case, then no one did, because I certainly did not.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #169
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,001

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Didn't say anything about standard of living. I said economic freedom. Look it up.
    I could care less about someones definition of economic freedom, unless that economic freedom increases the standard of living.

    Anyhow, I find that the income I have as an American, provides me more economic freedom than the lower income I would likely have in most countries.

    Now riddle me this, what do Estonia, Ireland and Chile, all have in common that the US doesn't have? **** the riddle, I'll just tell you - universal healthcare. Hmm.
    Last edited by imagep; 06-08-15 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #170
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Inequality Troubles Americans Across Party Lines, Times/CBS Poll Finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    In other words, you couldn't come up with a good answer, so you threw out a straw man...especially given that our EFFECTIVE corporate tax rate (after all tax breaks and exemptions and whatnot) is less than ONE-THIRD of the official corporate tax rate.

    Next time, try to come up with something that's not so easily shot down....
    No, prosperity and economic liberty depend on more than taxes. Production levels, system of laws, societal values, culture all play into the success of an economy. Belgium is a first world democracy with high tax rates and you could say they have a high standard of living but in general their citizens are complacent because the government takes care of them cradle to grave and takes care of their retirement. As a result they are less productive than we are and their economy isn't as dynamic. If you like the Belgium way, I recommend moving there. It's not for me however.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •