Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 222

Thread: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    11-19-15 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,235

    In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Why are we giving these brats free breakfast.? Why can't their parents feed them a breakfast.? Parents should also pack a lunch for the kids.


    In Baltimore schools, free meals for all - Baltimore Sun

    june 2 2015
    For the first time in the history of the school lunch program, all children in Baltimore are created equal.

    Beginning this week, every student in the city, regardless of income level, is being offered free breakfast and lunch under a federal program that allows school districts to eliminate a decades-old meal-subsidy structure for students in high-poverty schools.

    Baltimore is among a handful of districts in Maryland taking advantage of the opportunity that was opened to schools nationwide last year. Maryland schools are able to adopt the program under state legislation passed this year in the General Assembly

  2. #2
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,715

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    You do realize this is not limited to Baltimore? They do it in my city. I'm not about to complain that kids are getting fed.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    51,563

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Why are we giving these brats free breakfast.? Why can't their parents feed them a breakfast.? Parents should also pack a lunch for the kids.
    I see no problem with this. I think part of the public school system should include meals as well. I was reading an article about some lady in Denver who was fired from her job in a school cafeteria for giving food to hungry kids. Some of the kids' families didn't qualify for free lunch or reduced lunch, but regardless did not have the money for lunch. I keep thinking "why isn't a healthy lunch option standard with education?" If they want to do breakfast too, then by all means.

    Not sure what the problem is with feeding kids.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    11-19-15 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    You do realize this is not limited to Baltimore? They do it in my city. I'm not about to complain that kids are getting fed.
    Why can't the parents feed their own kids.? Oh yeah - they'd rather spend their money on drugs and lotto.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    11-19-15 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I see no problem with this. I think part of the public school system should include meals as well. .
    OK - then don't complain about taxes. Money is taken from you and used to feed someone else's kids because those parents won't do it.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    51,563

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Why can't the parents feed their own kids.? Oh yeah - they'd rather spend their money on drugs and lotto.
    Yeah I know, **** those kids because their parents are allegedly making these bad choices. Nothing like punishing people for the assumed and unproven sins of others, am I right?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #7
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    51,563

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    OK - then don't complain about taxes. Money is taken from you and used to feed someone else's kids because those parents won't do it.
    I'm already taxed for a great many things. Some of which is helpful to America, others of which are destructive. Feeding kids falls on the helpful side.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #8
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-18-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    8,532

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    OK - then don't complain about taxes. Money is taken from you and used to feed someone else's kids because those parents won't do it.
    I think when considering where my tax dollars go, the cost of feeding children is probably one of the areas I'm happiest with.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    11-19-15 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm already taxed for a great many things. Some of which is helpful to America, others of which are destructive. Feeding kids falls on the helpful side.
    This does not help america. It helps the kids and their parents who are getting more freebies, but it's all paid for by others. Just another transfer of money from working americans to deadbeats.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    11-19-15 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I think when considering where my tax dollars go, the cost of feeding children is probably one of the areas I'm happiest with.
    That's how deadbeats look at it. They're very happy with someone else paying for their kids meals.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •