Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 222

Thread: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

  1. #201
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,303

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I'm not sure leaving them in a home that doesn't feed them is the best of choices either...

    but yeah.. i don't have too much problem feeding the hungry kids.... though i'm not sure why feeding every child should be mandated.

    in any event, this is just one more case, in a long line of cases, where the responsibility of parents is being usurped by schools/the state.
    re: "though i'm not sure why feeding every child should be mandated."

    +++

    I'm very happy to see the lunch policy applied to all equally, Thrilla.

    I abhor means-tested benefits, and believe they cause all manner of problems (scamming, negative productivity, resentment & divisiveness, etc.).

    If a societal benefit is deemed worth doing, I believe it should be available to all, not just chosen groups.

    I very much believe this with healthcare, as well.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  2. #202
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    735

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Giving it to everyone could be argued to have slight economic benefit (more disposable income for parents).

    The school (technically taxpayers) would still be making their purchases (so no change on money into the economy there) and now parents have probably $60+ extra to spend on other means.

  3. #203
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,644

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Free meals, eh? Who's donating the free food?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #204
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    re: "though i'm not sure why feeding every child should be mandated."

    +++

    I'm very happy to see the lunch policy applied to all equally, Thrilla.

    I abhor means-tested benefits, and believe they cause all manner of problems (scamming, negative productivity, resentment & divisiveness, etc.).

    If a societal benefit is deemed worth doing, I believe it should be available to all, not just chosen groups.

    I very much believe this with healthcare, as well.
    interesting.. so you really are in favor of turning over the responsibility of feeding kids to the state....
    how about housing?... is that also something the state should handle for all parents too?

    well,I guess it fits with progressive policies of removing parenting from the picture.. .so i'm not really surprised.... it's ongoing war, after all.

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotedelmar View Post
    Giving it to everyone could be argued to have slight economic benefit (more disposable income for parents).

    The school (technically taxpayers) would still be making their purchases (so no change on money into the economy there) and now parents have probably $60+ extra to spend on other means.

    and it could be argued that paying for housing and all relevant bills would put a whole bunch more disposable cash in the hands of parents as well....

    though i'm pretty certain this policy has absolutely nothign to do with putting more disposable cash in parents hands..

  6. #206
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,303

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    interesting.. so you really are in favor of turning over the responsibility of feeding kids to the state....
    how about housing?... is that also something the state should handle for all parents too?

    well,I guess it fits with progressive policies of removing parenting from the picture.. .so i'm not really surprised.... it's ongoing war, after all.
    I'm for applying benefits equally, not picking winners & losers.

    And yes, I am very much in favor of a single-payer/private-provider health system for all, not just the 43% of Americans that are currently deemed 'chosen' to have single-payer healthcare (Medicare, MedicAid, Disability, etc.).

    No - I wouldn't provide housing or food assistance (besides Elementary & High School lunch - which I consider education related), especially not in the means-tested 'winners & losers' form we have through our current entitlement systems debacle.

    I'd provide a (very small) guaranteed minimum income, and dump most every entitlement programs we have.

    As long as single-payer healthcare is in place, there's no reasons to provide this myriad of means-tested entitlement give-aways, beside a small guaranteed minimum income. Some have suggested a Negative Income Tax instead, but that in effect becomes another means-based system, and therefore unfair, unproductive, ripe with fraud, and derisive & decisive.

    The idea is to get away from means-tested entitlement programs.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  7. #207
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    21,612

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Well I'm sure you'd be able to find an idiot willing to make the same old timey bull**** claim that smaller families, wide availability (and acceptance) of contraceptive use, women waiting longer to have kids, and a general drop in birth rates (the lowest since records have been kept), means that people aren't more careful about having kids. However, it won't make your absurd claim - from which you based an entire post - any less flawed or anything other than nonsensical old timey bull****.
    If you say so.

    Have a nice weekend.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  8. #208
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    21,612

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing some citation for the lunch confiscation you describe (barring that there's nothing particularly hazardous with the parent supplied lunch - for example, spoilage).

    I have no idea how you came-up with the term, "Throwing in the towel and letting the wholesale take over of nutrition to the government". You seem to be conflating another concern with the topic of this thread, which is 'free lunch'.
    I am surprised you have missed the many news articles about schools, or teachers, confiscating parent supplied lunches that don't meet governmental nutritional standards. I would suggest you take a few minutes to bring yourself up to speed on the issue.

    As to conflating, I would suggest the idea of supplying free lunches, regardless of need, suggests there is an objective in play. With money so tight in education, what would be the purpose of providing free lunches to all, regardless of need? Why make decisions on what to make for lunch for little Johnnie or Sally, when you can just send them off and let somebody else decide? Considering there is a growing trend to scrutinize what parents are providing their children, why fight city hall.

    The slippery slope is abundantly clear here. I would think someone would have to be willfully trying to avoid seeing it.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  9. #209
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    I'm for applying benefits equally, not picking winners & losers.

    And yes, I am very much in favor of a single-payer/private-provider health system for all, not just the 43% of Americans that are currently deemed 'chosen' to have single-payer healthcare (Medicare, MedicAid, Disability, etc.).

    No - I wouldn't provide housing or food assistance (besides Elementary & High School lunch - which I consider education related), especially not in the means-tested 'winners & losers' form we have through our current entitlement systems debacle.

    I'd provide a (very small) guaranteed minimum income, and dump most every entitlement programs we have.

    As long as single-payer healthcare is in place, there's no reasons to provide this myriad of means-tested entitlement give-aways, beside a small guaranteed minimum income. Some have suggested a Negative Income Tax instead, but that in effect becomes another means-based system, and therefore unfair, unproductive, ripe with fraud, and derisive & decisive.

    The idea is to get away from means-tested entitlement programs.
    I'm not opposed to a minimum basic income guarantee... it's one of my favorite policy ideas as well.... and yes, it could solve many problems.
    but it's derided as a crazy libertarian utopia dream.. blablalba... so it's doubtful it would come to fruition in the foreseeable future.

    but we're talking about reality here.. not our fantasies.... winners and losers are chosen.... programs are means tested.


    why would you refuse to give them housing? kids need housing as well..... or is that the one area you think parents should have to provide for their kids?

    I'm a long time warrior in this war on parents... that's probably something i should have mentioned before..... I've been fighting the progressive notions of removing parents from their children lives forever and a day.... about 35 years or so.( I'm not on the winning side, FWIW)

  10. #210
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,117

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by TextDriversKill View Post
    Why are we giving these brats free breakfast.? Why can't their parents feed them a breakfast.? Parents should also pack a lunch for the kids.
    I agree with everything you said but calling them brats.

    Why are they brats? They did not pass the law or force it through? Or do you just call all children 'brats'?
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •