Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 222

Thread: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

  1. #171
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,596

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The riots had nothing to do with this. Let's be serious here.
    Seriously you don't think free breakfast and lunch programs for children are in place to try and help black people get rid of their way of thinking? And it was only a bonus won from the riots? Come on!
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #172
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,895

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The size of the American family has been getting smaller for well over 150 years with a few booms here and there but overall a decline. Our birthrates have been dropping in spite of the fact that we have more women who are at a prime age for giving birth. That means in terms of kids, we're having far fewer kids than our great grandparents, grandparents and parents did. If anything, there are fewer people having kids today than any one time since records of these records have been kept. That all indicates that people today think a lot more about having kids than any generation that came before us.
    You might want to look at birth rates among some of our more recent arrivals. As it relates to the issue in this thread, you're theory is deeply flawed.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  3. #173
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,895

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    no, you keep being partisan even about such a humanistic issue
    As it relates to the ideological agenda of the Liberal/Progressive left, you are correct. But in the end, it's not about partisanship, it's about trying to keep the Progressive State from creating a race of robots dependent on the State for everything. History shows that doesn't work out very well.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  4. #174
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,701

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Only in America, does providing schoolkids food spark derisive & venomous objection ...

    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  5. #175
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,701

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    We shouldn't punish the kids, but the state should start punishing parents, child neglect is illegal
    And what weight of punishment would you provide to deter parents so messed-up, they don't feed their kids?

    Prison isn't deterring drug addiction, and losing one's kids isn't deterring mental illness.

    In more severe cases Dad may be in jail, and Mom may be mentally ill or running the streets. You're going to deter parents like this with punishment?

    Short of making the kids wards-of-state, what's your solution, and is it cost-effective?

    Getting these kids in school and keeping them in acts as a social service for them in an environment where nothing else may be working, even their families.
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,355

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    We shouldn't punish the kids, but the state should start punishing parents, child neglect is illegal
    Children's protective services are underfunded, and in most places, case workers are overwhelmed. Too often we give only lip service to the notion that our children are our future.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37,323

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    As it relates to the ideological agenda of the Liberal/Progressive left, you are correct. But in the end, it's not about partisanship, it's about trying to keep the Progressive State from creating a race of robots dependent on the State for everything. History shows that doesn't work out very well.
    I listen to progressive rock ,that is all I have about it.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  8. #178
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,895

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Only in America, does providing schoolkids food spark derisive & venomous objection ...

    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
    Only when the government becomes the only approved vendor.

    Indeed WTF?
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  9. #179
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    41,353

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You might want to look at birth rates among some of our more recent arrivals. As it relates to the issue in this thread, you're theory is deeply flawed.
    I have and they're irrelevant to the claims I have made. The US birth rate is still substantially lower than that of any other point in US history. Do you really want to go down this road?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #180
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,461

    Re: In Baltimore schools, free meals for all

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    And what weight of punishment would you provide to deter parents so messed-up, they don't feed their kids?

    Prison isn't deterring drug addiction, and losing one's kids isn't deterring mental illness.

    In more severe cases Dad may be in jail, and Mom may be mentally ill or running the streets. You're going to deter parents like this with punishment?

    Short of making the kids wards-of-state, what's your solution, and is it cost-effective?

    Getting these kids in school and keeping them in acts as a social service for them in an environment where nothing else may be working, even their families.
    Well absolutely the state needs to take away neglected kids for their good. So using the pejorative "wards of the state" I don't know why you would say that, absolutely the kids should be seized.

    Laws are not about deference they're about punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •