Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 123

Thread: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Your argument against the notion that the dress code is unreasonably restrictive is to give unreasonable examples that could be very easily restricted? I don't think you grasp the issues at play here.



    You assert this without evidence. I dismiss it without evidence.
    IE you can't actually show how it is not reasonable to require people to not wear head gear.
    so you lose by default.

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.
    It say in it that honesty is bad? Can you cite the paragraph?
    My views are my views, then there is the Christian view:
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Of course the third world dregs are breeding like rabbits.

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Honestly isn't a bad thing. It's not dishonest to tell people there were other, better qualified candidates, assuming you're attempting to hire the best qualified candidate. But getting sued and having to spend hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars defending against a federal lawsuit through appeals to the Supreme Court is a bad thing, so if you're going to discriminate against someone for the manner in which they dress it would be advisable to keep your mouth shut.
    So it is not honesty that is bad but discrimination and you are OK with masking that with obfuscation and misrepresentation.
    My views are my views, then there is the Christian view:
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Of course the third world dregs are breeding like rabbits.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    why do feel that's dishonest?...
    If one is attempting to mask discrimination by lack of honesty, is in my view dishonest.
    My views are my views, then there is the Christian view:
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Of course the third world dregs are breeding like rabbits.

  5. #75
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    IE you can't actually show how it is not reasonable to require people to not wear head gear.
    so you lose by default.
    No, in this country it's the other way around. You have to show how it is reasonable to require people not to wear something.

    Besides, I already did show how it wasn't reasonable. It doesn't affect their ability to do the job. Some people argued "branding" made it necessary, but I'm pretty sure that "no Muslims allowed" isn't an acceptable branding anyway. And, of course, are you also arguing that it's just fine to say that Jews can't wear a kippah on the job?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    I wonder how many criticizing this decision would disagree if an employer banned wearing crosses.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Because there are idiots that want to restrict their freedom.
    Employees have rights protected by law because history shows employers are not always reasonable, which negatively impacts society as a whole.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,183

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Why cant a private employer ban headgear?
    Why should the employer band head dress of any kind as long as it doesn't present a safety hazard or take away from the professional atmosphere?

    Wearing a baseball cap in a law firm doesn't make you look professional. Save that for the sports bar or the baseball field.

    Wearing a head dress be it a turban or hijab as part of your regular attire for cultural or religious reasons doesn't justify not hiring a person as long as wearing such is in keeping with your company's dress code which in most cases boils down to professionalism, safety and uniformity. Although company dress codes aren't for the employee's comfort, the one exception has always been "religious tolerance". That's where Abercrombie & Fitch missed the mark.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    You are allowed to ask ask just about anything. What you are not allowed is to discriminate.
    no you cannot you have no idea what you are talking about.

    What you can't ask: What religion do you practice?
    What you can't ask: Which religious holidays do you observe?

    Why? Isn't that the natural conclusion of a company that thinks that Muslim women wearing a scarf do not represent the image of the company?
    Nope that wearing any kind of head dress at work does not represent the image that the company.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Why is honesty a bad thing?
    Because honesty by an employer often becomes fodder for a ****bag attorney to claim discrimination, that's why. In order for there to simply be honesty it needs to be on both sides. But more and more that is not the case. Case in point the pizza joint that was such a big deal a while back. A dishonest reporter asked a leading question fishing for the "right" response to build a story, and next thing you know the LBGT idiots get their collective panties in a wad. The guy asking the question wasn't even gay. The whole thing was a setup by a dishonest person and taken advantage of by a whole group of dishonest people. Surely by now our leaders have taught us that there is no longer any value in honesty...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •